E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New 330i....how long before I need to Zaino it

05-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
markrhall
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i black sapphire

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
New 330i....how long before I need to Zaino it

I recently took delivery of a new black sapphire 330 a few weeks ago. Do I need to put a coat of wax/Zaino on it now or does it come from the factory with some sort of protectant on it.

Thanks.....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I'd apply Zaino now. There's nothing the factory, VPC or dealer did to it that would warrant waiting.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Do it now. I zanioed my car the first weekend I had it. BTW after 6 months and a Buffalo winter with some QEW to wash and Z8 touchups a couple of times, it is still beading water like crazy
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
B2Blain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by pander5
I'd apply Zaino now. There's nothing the factory, VPC or dealer did to it that would warrant waiting.
I will soon have a black sapphire 330i and had a similar question, as well as others as well. I have three months to prepare for its arrival so I will be using the time to do some research and purchase my detailing products and equipment.

Does anyone know what the dealers generally do to detail cars? I walked by my dealer's shop and notice them using a pc polisher - do they apply just wax?

With regard to the Zaino application on a new car - which Zaino product are you referrring to? I assume I would not need to apply an abrasive polish since it is a brand new car? Zaino sealent? Do I need to strip the wax or other synthetic on the car before I apply it? I believe with Klasse SG you cannot apply it over a wax. Is this the same with Zaino? If I add another layer of Zaino every few months is there any reason why I would need to use an abrasive polish, or is this inevitable?

Also, do I really need to Zaino it right away or can I wait a few months?

One last question. I am trying to decide between Zaino and Klasse for polish and sealent. I take it that I should stick with one system and not mix and match - Zaino polish with Klasse SG, for example.

Prior to reading this forum I didn't know washing and waxing your car was such a complicated process. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks!

Last edited by B2Blain; 05-23-2006 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

From what I have seen, Zaino works the best and looks the best. It lasts about 6-9 mos depending on the weather conditions. Initial application can be tedious, but subsequent coats are very easy and increases the shine and reflectivity of the paint.
I used Zaino on my old Brilliant Black (jet Black equivalent) Audi A4. It looked great. I haven't Zaino'ed the BMW yet, but I will in about a month or so.
Before applying Zaino for the 1st time, wash the car with Dawn dish washing soap. Supposedly this will remove a good portion of the wax and oils that are on the paint.
If you add coats of Zaino after the initial application, you will extend the life of it. Depending on how you wash your car and other factors, if you do get swirl marks, then you will have to polish it and start all over.
I don't think Zaino and carnauba waxes mix very well. You will not need to top Zaino with a carnauba.
Klasse is a great polish and sealant to work with as well, but on darker colored cars it doesn't give such a great shine as Zaino does.

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

My friend just bought a mazdaspeed6 and mentioned that on his forums, they were saying how we're not supposed to wax the car for the first 3 months to let to paint settle. Is there any truth to this?

I did a full Zaino job on the car the first chance I got...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o
My friend just bought a mazdaspeed6 and mentioned that on his forums, they were saying how we're not supposed to wax the car for the first 3 months to let to paint settle. Is there any truth to this?
i dont know if its true or not but that what i've always been told.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
330eye
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I BLK/BLK/SP/PP/NAV/CA

Garage List
2006 330I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o

I did a full Zaino job on the car the first chance I got...
The new paints that are being used by all U.S and European car manufacturers do not require any curing time. I would assume that the Japanese paints are similar.

The older enamels used did require 2 to 3 months to fully cure and harden.

Bottom line, get the car protected as soon as possible. I use Zaino but any quality wax or sealant will start the protection.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
john802
Riptide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnyc
...Klasse is a great polish and sealant to work with as well, but on darker colored cars it doesn't give such a great shine as Zaino does.
I differ w/ your assessment. IMO, both Klasse & Zaino are excellent detailing products to use. It depends on the person what he/she is comfortable using. Just remember, the key to excellent shine & paint protection are the preparation of the paint surface before applying Klasse or Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330eye
The new paints that are being used by all U.S and European car manufacturers do not require any curing time. I would assume that the Japanese paints are similar.

The older enamels used did require 2 to 3 months to fully cure and harden.

Bottom line, get the car protected as soon as possible. I use Zaino but any quality wax or sealant will start the protection.
330eye is correct, absolutely no need to wait before waxing a new car, a repaint at the shop is a different story...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #11
cralmandi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

More important follow the advise in the detailing 101 on washing your car, I thought I was careful until I got a black car, almost anything will scratch it unless you are careful. Zaino it while it is free of nasty swirls.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 01:55 AM   #12
B2Blain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the great suggestions. Hopefully I'll have time to do the dawn thing and Zaino it shortly after it comes.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #13
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by john802
I differ w/ your assessment. IMO, both Klasse & Zaino are excellent detailing products to use. It depends on the person what he/she is comfortable using. Just remember, the key to excellent shine & paint protection are the preparation of the paint surface before applying Klasse or Zaino.
I agree with having to prep the paint to get the nicest shine. But in my opinion and experiences, Klasse gave my black car a clean but almost faded look. It wasn't as deep as a carnauba or Zaino for that matter. Klasse definitely lasts for a long time. I have relegated Klasse AIO and SG to wheel and tailpipe duty.Brake dust no longer sticks or builds up.

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga-bmwdrvr
330eye is correct, absolutely no need to wait before waxing a new car, a repaint at the shop is a different story...
I was thinking the same thing... 3 months is a pretty long time to allow the bare paint to get exposed to the elements...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 02:13 AM   #15
B2Blain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, I think I am sold on Zaino. Since I will be using it on a new car, I am assuming I will not have to apply it with a orbial polisher. My objective is to primarily seal and protect the paint and keep it from getting swirls or light scratches? I am confused by the recommendation in Detailing 101 that I use Z2 Pro instead of Z5 to seal. What's the difference between the two products? Thanks, Blain
Appreciate 0