E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New Waterpump lifespan?

03-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #1
AlexKoast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg 335i 6MT

New Waterpump lifespan?

Hey everyone,
I have a 2006 330i. I've had my waterpump replaced 4 years ago at 80,000 km (approx 50,000 miles). In the 4 year span I've put on another 90,000 km (56,000 miles) and starting to wonder if I should expect my NEW waterpump to fail on me again? Do these water pumps fail at a specific mileage or after a number of years? Are the NEW BMW waterpumps equally prone to failure? Looking for insight from others who have had theirs replaced.

edit* to add to this, I'm planning on driving down to bimmerfest this year from Vancouver to LA so its kinda important to know if they're prone to failing again
      03-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I replaced my N52 water pump in 2011 at 149,000 miles when it failed. 218,000 miles later it has yet to throw a trouble code. BMW redesigned the pump in 2008 (gave it a new part number). I think the redesigned pump is a more robust unit.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2019, 11:43 PM   #3
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKoast View Post
Hey everyone,
I have a 2006 330i. I've had my waterpump replaced 4 years ago at 80,000 km (approx 50,000 miles). In the 4 year span I've put on another 90,000 km (56,000 miles) and starting to wonder if I should expect my NEW waterpump to fail on me again? Do these water pumps fail at a specific mileage or after a number of years? Are the NEW BMW waterpumps equally prone to failure? Looking for insight from others who have had theirs replaced.

edit* to add to this, I'm planning on driving down to bimmerfest this year from Vancouver to LA so its kinda important to know if they're prone to failing again
Didnt the 330 and the 328i both have the same "normal" water pump?

Bottom line, I think you're fine for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Didnt the 330 and the 328i both have the same "normal" water pump?

Bottom line, I think you're fine for awhile.
They both have electric water pumps, not a belt driven one (which is what I assume you mean by "normal"). The N54 is also electric.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
They both have electric water pumps, not a belt driven one (which is what I assume you mean by "normal"). The N54 is also electric.
Well not quite; they're all electric. I was referring to the difference in the turbo'd cars -- those pumps seem to be made partially of plastic materials vs all metal (correlating to the earlier failures) -- still don't get the theory:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...55-11517632426
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
calicolorado
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp 6-spd

Garage List
2015 BMW M5   [0.00]
1972 BMW 200/  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
I think your pump likely has a lot of life in it based on my experience with these. Just two weeks ago I replaced the original waterpump on my car at 197k. It was working fine,no codes, but I was starting to get a little concerned about driving it on trips. It was the last part of my cooling system to be replaced, so I feel better about driving the car absolutely anywhere.
2011 Highlander 4WD
Appreciate 1
cdgatti254.50
      03-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Same as CaliCol here... replaced mine at 140K, mainly because of paranoia from this site! It never gave me any codes. But I wanted the assurance to take this car wherever, and if it did fail on a trip somewhere I wouldn't have been surprised by it.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Same as CaliCol here... replaced mine at 140K, mainly because of paranoia from this site! It never gave me any codes. But I wanted the assurance to take this car wherever, and if it did fail on a trip somewhere I wouldn't have been surprised by it.
We've learned over time from a few dedicated E90 owners that scanning the car every few months can greatly reduce the anxiety of owning an E90 and having a WP failure...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
We've learned over time from a few dedicated E90 owners that scanning the car every few months can greatly reduce the anxiety of owning an E90 and having a WP failure...
Found the thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...=561183&page=5
      03-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leif20 View Post
Yup, that's the thread... I wonder who originally posted it
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

I have a 2008 e92 and my water pump failed at 50,000 miles. My car made is to 104k before rod knocking killed the motor. The dealer replaced water pump was working just fine after 54,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
RF330
Rep
Drives: 04 330 ZHP

I'm getting that paranoid feeling on a 2007 328 as well. 126K miles 12 year old car and believe the cooling system is all original. Car is going to my kid away at school and thinking I should do this before he has a problem 5 hours away from home.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #13
Yarbis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is Le Mans Blue

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
My waterpump just failed on me on Saturday @108k. Just scanned it with INPA, it read the code for "Electric pump speed deviation" and "electric pump stopped."

I then tested it via 5% speed, 50%, then 95%, and on 5 it read 4.7% which I assumed ok, then 50 and 95% read 0. Went out to check if it was spinning at all, and it sounded like a slow half spin then stop for a second and cycle like that.

On a side note, my fob was in the ignition and the car locked on me even with comfort access I quickly went inside, found out BMW can't do remote unlock on 2010's because of bmw assist being the new program, and then called my dealer, and he said id need to tow it to them, and i just had a tow on Saturday, so I told him there was no way. I grabbed a coat hanger, got it straight with a vice, looped an end and flattened it with the vice, then went out with much confidence. Since I have an e93, I only had to push on the back window to get the looped part of the hanger in, and was able to grab the door handle easy.... Way too easy. Just going to forget it happened so i dont think about someone breaking in!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #14
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
I have a 2008 e92 and my water pump failed at 50,000 miles. My car made is to 104k before rod knocking killed the motor. The dealer replaced water pump was working just fine after 54,000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarbis View Post
My waterpump just failed on me on Saturday @108k. Just scanned it with INPA, it read the code for "Electric pump speed deviation" and "electric pump stopped."

I then tested it via 5% speed, 50%, then 95%, and on 5 it read 4.7% which I assumed ok, then 50 and 95% read 0. Went out to check if it was spinning at all, and it sounded like a slow half spin then stop for a second and cycle like that.

On a side note, my fob was in the ignition and the car locked on me even with comfort access I quickly went inside, found out BMW can't do remote unlock on 2010's because of bmw assist being the new program, and then called my dealer, and he said id need to tow it to them, and i just had a tow on Saturday, so I told him there was no way. I grabbed a coat hanger, got it straight with a vice, looped an end and flattened it with the vice, then went out with much confidence. Since I have an e93, I only had to push on the back window to get the looped part of the hanger in, and was able to grab the door handle easy.... Way too easy. Just going to forget it happened so i dont think about someone breaking in!
Above two are probably 335i with N54 engines; OP concerned N52 NA motor. Big difference in relation to OP's N52.

On a side note, tow companies and roadside asst uses inflatable bellows on your glass to do exactly like you said. Sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
I'm getting that paranoid feeling on a 2007 328 as well. 126K miles 12 year old car and believe the cooling system is all original. Car is going to my kid away at school and thinking I should do this before he has a problem 5 hours away from home.
See above, N52s are a lot more reliable with regards to water pumps (theromstat more likely to go, if anything) -- not bulletproof, but pretty "normal" for lifespan as compared to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #15
RF330
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
See above, N52s are a lot more reliable with regards to water pumps (theromstat more likely to go, if anything) -- not bulletproof, but pretty "normal" for lifespan as compared to other cars.
I hear you and thanks for your input. I'm still doing it b/c I have access to a strong tech at reasonable rates and I will be kicking myself if the car breaks down in the next couple years away from home and at the mercy of the local bimmer indy that I don't have much experience with.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear you and thanks for your input. I'm still doing it b/c I have access to a strong tech at reasonable rates and I will be kicking myself if the car breaks down in the next couple years away from home and at the mercy of the local bimmer indy that I don't have much experience with.
OP, why did you ask the question and waste everyone's time? Your decision has nothing to do with the information provided to you, but rather mind security and a mechanic near your residence who charges reasonable rates.

There are tens of thousands of parts that could fail in your car at any time anywhere. Next time just follow your instincts and do what makes you comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #17
RF330
Rep

First, I'm not the OP I just chimed in like others here and wasted about as much time as your response to me did. And FYI I did learn something, that while more reliable than turbo models, the n52 has a more "normal" lifespan. Who knows what that lifespan is. It can crap out anytime at 126K, I don't have a code reader and I'm not going to get a college kid to get codes scanned every few months. But thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First, I'm not the OP I just chimed in like others here and wasted about as much time as your response to me did. And FYI I did learn something, that while more reliable than turbo models, the n52 has a more "normal" lifespan. Who knows what that lifespan is. It can crap out anytime at 126K, I don't have a code reader and I'm not going to get a college kid to get codes scanned every few months. But thanks for your input.
Please accept my apology then. I read your original post and see your concern. If reliability is a concern however, then a different car may have been a better choice in a college student situation. But if you go the route your going, then maybe teaching your child how do deal with an aged BMW with 126,000 miles on the clock would be appropriate. It might help him or her in the long run. I just like to deal in reality. Any old car with miles on it will be problematic. You'll never be able to afford rebuilding it to a level of security as if it were new. And if you can afford it, it wouldn't make economic sense.

I went to college in a 8 year old Pinto that did not have an easy life. Back then 100,000 mile cars were considered spent. But I was armed with tools and mechanical repair skills.

I hope your kid has a great college experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
RF330
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Please accept my apology then. I read your original post and see your concern. If reliability is a concern however, then a different car may have been a better choice in a college student situation. But if you go the route your going, then maybe teaching your child how do deal with an aged BMW with 126,000 miles on the clock would be appropriate. It might help him or her in the long run. I just like to deal in reality. Any old car with miles on it will be problematic. You'll never be able to afford rebuilding it to a level of security as if it were new. And if you can afford it, it wouldn't make economic sense.

I went to college in a 8 year old Pinto that did not have an easy life. Back then 100,000 mile cars were considered spent. But I was armed with tools and mechanical repair skills.

I hope your kid has a great college experience.
Apology accepted and much appreciated. Understand your thinking here but let me explain how this played out. I had a Mazda 3 in the family that this second son was going to drive when he got his license. He was a very tentative student driver, didn't like the Mazda and only wanted to practice on our MDX. I drove it a while and admittedly the thing is a tin can, so I decided to dump it and buy a much more substantial car that would make him comfortable and could use as my backup car for the winter when he left for college, so i got the best condition 328xi I could find at the time.

He used it for a year and a half to get to school (1/2 hr away) and hockey practice/games, then i got a decent winter car for two years after - win win. He now needs it for a summer internship, then finishing out college off campus for last two years.

Have I spent a little more than I wanted? Yes, but I hope I'm showing them I've made informed decisions, maintain vehicles properly, and keep them a long while rather than continuously throwing money at new cars. My primary is a peach 2004 330 zhp. The plan is that he will keep driving the 328 well after college or give back to me to use if living in the city.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

my junk has 143K miles on it's factory pump.

I do get an occasional communication error.
but never a speed deviation.
Like everyone, I scan it monthly with my phone.

but hell, I took it on a 1500 mile weekend road trip last month and I didn't even take tools.
I'm over worrying about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #21
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

The theory is that these pumps tended to fail due to cooking the electronics with heat. The new design seems to have generally fixed this issue, and the replacement units may have to be replaced on a mileage basis like any other pump.

I would look into that pump with communication errors though. Before it starts showing shadow codes, all is good and merry, but as soon as there are codes, it may fail at any moment without prior warning. Remember this is an electronics failure, not mechanical so it'll be sudden.
Appreciate 0