Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > e93 tire size - 235/50/18

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
alsrn1492
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 335i

e93 tire size - 235/50/18

I have a square set of 235/50/18 winter tires that are on the car right now.
About a month ago, I had a transmission problem, which ended up costing me a new transmission.
The wheels are Alzor rims 18x8 ET35 front and 18x9 ET38 rear.
The tires rub the inner liner when making a full turn.
I am wondering if the transmission issue had been caused by the winter tires on the car right now since I had read some posts about wrong size tires hurting the transmission.
If so, I am going to take those off asap and maybe trade with some other set of winter tires on craigslist or just sell them.
This past month, my e93 had been a money pit that kept draining money, so I cannot afford another transmission to blow up on me
Thanks in advance everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

That's an awfully tall tire size...I'd recheck the sidewall to make sure that what you're posting is true.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
alsrn1492
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
That's an awfully tall tire size...I'd recheck the sidewall to make sure that what you're posting is true.
I realized that after I got them installed.
The previous owner gave the set to me, and I put them on thinking that they would be a square set of the right size.
Turns out, the profile is 50, which feels too tall for E9x chassis cars.
I already have big investments going into personal financial issues soon, and now I am worried that I will have to drop an extra grand, on top of the fact that I am putting a set of coilovers on them due to failing suspension parts.
The car had been in the shop for a month and a half so far due to 1. Tranny swap 2. HPFP 3. Injectors 4. Codings to be done, so I have not driven the car more than a few hundred miles since those tall winter tires had been put on.
I am hoping that the tire size would not cause any mechanical problems, as those tires are not going to be on my car as a permenant set, rather a new set of summer tires will be put on and, most likely, I will not leave my house when it snows
Thank you for your note.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsrn1492 View Post
I am hoping that the tire size would not cause any mechanical problems
No worries there...I'm just surprised they even fit at all, especially in the front, and haven't destroyed your fenders yet
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 02:25 AM   #5
alsrn1492
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
No worries there...I'm just surprised they even fit at all, especially in the front, and haven't destroyed your fenders yet
Surprisingly, they fit perfectly fine, it is just a very slight rubbing at the full turn, which is not the best thing to hear LOL
Other than that, the tires fit as far as now.
BTW, I cannot remember on top of my head, but the fenders are rolled by PO of mine, so I guess that could help as well.
I am keeping these tires on my E93 for the winter, as my plan is to bring a F22 home before Christmas, and I am probably not going to buy an extra set of winter tires for it until next winter, which I am not planning to keep the E93 no longer then
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #6
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

Your transmission broke probably because "Life Time" fluid from BMW refers to the "Life Time" of the warranty at 60k miles.

I'm amaze so many BMW owners kill their transmission, transfer case by doing ZERO oil change. BTW, any other manufacturers actually state 30k miles for transmission fluid change and 15k miles for "Harsh Condition" driving, i.e. how most BMW owners drive.

I change my new sports cars fluid at 500 miles, just like the engine oil change. Longer for automatics since they have filters and magnets for metal shards. I have pics to show you what they look like on the magnetic drain plugs.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
alsrn1492
United_States
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Your transmission broke probably because "Life Time" fluid from BMW refers to the "Life Time" of the warranty at 60k miles.

I'm amaze so many BMW owners kill their transmission, transfer case by doing ZERO oil change. BTW, any other manufacturers actually state 30k miles for transmission fluid change and 15k miles for "Harsh Condition" driving, i.e. how most BMW owners drive.

I change my new sports cars fluid at 500 miles, just like the engine oil change. Longer for automatics since they have filters and magnets for metal shards. I have pics to show you what they look like on the magnetic drain plugs.
Exactly what I thought. Found out that the tranny oil cooler had a crack and the tranny fluid was leaking out.
I got that fixed up last week, and just got the car back, planning on changing the oil every 50k miles at the maximum, which I don't think I'll keep this car as much anyways.
Wonder if I should change out the fluid as soon as I buy a used F22 6MT after this mistake
Appreciate 0