E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > abs and 4x4! error, plus brake, dtc, and abs lights on?

10-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #45
Fly1ngSqu1rr3l
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Dealership fail. Replace dealership. What they are telling you is so beyond stupid it is almost inconceivable. I'd call BMWNA and report them, they should not be allowed to touch another car.
Confirmed that the dealership is blaming the staggering on my car and that all 4 wheels have to match exactly for X-Drive.

Note that the dealership accessory for the 2005 to 2012 335xi is an 18x8 front, 18x8.5 rear...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly1ngSqu1rr3l View Post
Confirmed that the dealership is blaming the staggering on my car and that all 4 wheels have to match exactly for X-Drive.

Note that the dealership accessory for the 2005 to 2012 335xi is an 18x8 front, 18x8.5 rear...
Yes, I know, my car came with them from the factory, with the exact same size tires you have. It's on the original window sticker for fuck's sake these people are complete idiots.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
G-Man2011
Rep
Drives: 328xi Coupe

I could be wrong but this is what a BMW tech told me. Any XDrive built before mid 2007 can not have upgrade or staggered wheels. BMW redesigned xdrive system for 2008 which explains why they now offered factory staggere on x cars from that year on. As i was shoppping for wheels for my X drive the guys at Tirerack said same thing to me. He would not put staggered on 2007 and previous drivetrain. Maybe this could be your issue. The production date of your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #48
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man2011 View Post
I could be wrong but this is what a BMW tech told me. Any XDrive built before mid 2007 can not have upgrade or staggered wheels. BMW redesigned xdrive system for 2008 which explains why they now offered factory staggere on x cars from that year on. As i was shoppping for wheels for my X drive the guys at Tirerack said same thing to me. He would not put staggered on 2007 and previous drivetrain. Maybe this could be your issue. The production date of your car.
Staggered WIDTH has nothing to do with anything. If the rolling circumference of the front/back tire/wheel is within 1% or so there should be zero problems, esp with the tire sizes and offsets the OP has. The only issue in some cases is clearance with fenders and so forth but not with the sizes being discussed.

I have never heard of a "redesign" of the Xdrive system on e9x vehicles in 2008, plus there are plenty of people here on this forum with 2007 xi cars running all sorts of wheels/tires, some with 20" and lots with 19". And in any case how would this mythical old Xdrive system "know" the car had wheels and tires on it of identical rolling circumference as stock but different front/back widths? Use your brain man.

OP, this is so off the wall I wonder if they maybe damaged your car somehow and are pulling excuses out of their ass to cover themselves.

BTW I went to Tirerack just now and checked, they list staggered 18" as one factory option on 2007 xi.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #49
Fly1ngSqu1rr3l
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

1. New VTG Motor.
  2. 18x8 Front
  3. 18.8.5 Rear
  4. Looks Great, Runs Great
  5. Confirms Dealership Tech was wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #50
osteopathXI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
BTW I went to Tirerack just now and checked, they list staggered 18" as one factory option on 2007 xi.
ooooo BURN!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #51
tardmobile
Rep
Drives: 335xi

welp, +1 for transfer case actuator
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #52
devildogae
Rep
Drives: 06 330XI

Never to late

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardmobile View Post
welp, +1 for transfer case actuator
So I has this evil bunch of lights. Swapped transfer case actuator motor, did a transfer case and transmission drain and fill. That's didn't fix proble. Flashed ECU and recoded, nope, still there. Read somewhere about a possible bad wheel bearing. So I changed my suspect wheel bearing and low and behold, that was the culprit. Lights are off, cruise control and all wheel drive working again...

FYI. *wheel bearing*
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #53
MKR
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI E92

Same thing happened to my car. Was also getting the clicking noise when starting the car. Replaced the transfer case actuator and now the car runs fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #54
Dirtynorth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Ok guys got a stumper. Read this thread. Had the same issues with the same lights and grinding when shutting off the car. Replaced the actuator, started it up and problem seemed to be gone. Battery died over night. Jumped the car and now all the lights are back on...... Not sure what to do any thoughts? This is on my wife's 07 328xi
Also worth mentioning I replaced the battery this morning and the lights are still on. The battery was disconnected for about an hour and a half before I put the new one in.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #55
Dirtynorth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Ok figured it out. Apparently when you jump start the car and/or replace the battery the steering angle sensor will sometimes need to be recalibrated. Literally turn the wheel all the way to right lock and all the way back to the left lock and the lights disappear.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #56
dannyboy451
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6-Speed

Same issue--Resolved

I had this very same issue (grinding noise included) this summer. The grinding noise went away after about a week, but the lights remained. The car still functioned fine, so I had no qualms continuing to drive it. I got a 4 wheel alignment (which was way off) and that got rid of the ABS light and restored my cruise control. But within 10 seconds of starting the car, the 4x4! light and traction control light came on every time. I replaced the battery as it was 8 years old, and that did nothing. Finally brought it to the dealer since it was winter and it wasn't handling worth crap in the snow and they pulled the following codes:

5F3A

The dealer wanted to replace the entire transfer case to the tune of $5000. I did some research and found posts here on e90 (including this one) and I decided it looked worthwhile to check the worm gear in the actuator motor. I removed it from my car and $65 and several hours later, I had it all back together and it now works perfectly. No more issues. If anyone is getting the 5F3A code, I would highly recommend checking this first. At 10% of the cost of a whole new actuator and 1% of the cost of a transfer case, it's time and money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #57
jeffdubya
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi (6-speed)

I have the same issue on my 2008 328xi (6-speed).

It started the day after I had both rear wheel bearings replaced. Is there some sort of reset that the might have been missed when they replaced my bearings? I mean, I suppose it "could" be simply a coincidence, but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:23 AM   #58
rossenguzman
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy451 View Post
I had this very same issue (grinding noise included) this summer. The grinding noise went away after about a week, but the lights remained. The car still functioned fine, so I had no qualms continuing to drive it. I got a 4 wheel alignment (which was way off) and that got rid of the ABS light and restored my cruise control. But within 10 seconds of starting the car, the 4x4! light and traction control light came on every time. I replaced the battery as it was 8 years old, and that did nothing. Finally brought it to the dealer since it was winter and it wasn't handling worth crap in the snow and they pulled the following codes:

5F3A

The dealer wanted to replace the entire transfer case to the tune of $5000. I did some research and found posts here on e90 (including this one) and I decided it looked worthwhile to check the worm gear in the actuator motor. I removed it from my car and $65 and several hours later, I had it all back together and it now works perfectly. No more issues. If anyone is getting the 5F3A code, I would highly recommend checking this first. At 10% of the cost of a whole new actuator and 1% of the cost of a transfer case, it's time and money well spent.

So I have the same issue do you think I should replace the same part? For me this came up right after I did the OE tune and got new brakes and ball joints and control arms, they did align it too... I think it might be one of my bearings because I can hear it and actuator motor because it only goes off when I really step on it... As soon as torque kicks in (which is 340 at max to the wheels) it does the 4x4! Like and Brake light...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #59
Moorea
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy451 View Post

5F3A

I have the same codes plus 5F3A DSC: Transfer case: internal. Do you think this worm gear method will still work, or does that additional error code mean it's something else?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #60
Lotus77
Rep
Drives: E91 325xi

Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose what is wrong with my 2006 325xi E91 transfer case. Symptoms started 6 months ago with barely noticeable stuttering under open throttle in 6th gear at highway speed (manual transmission). A couple months later this stuttering became more pronounceable and would occur under open throttle starting from 2nd gear. At the same time my long term average mileage improved from 12.5L/100km to 10L/100km. After another couple of months I now get the standard transfer case lights after I start driving (4x4!, abs, traction control, brake lights all come on). I do not hear any grinding noises as some have observed. Once the lights come on there is no more stuttering as I'm assuming the transfer case clucthes disengage the front axle drive. I'm also assuming the gas mileage improvement is due to the fact that the car became rear wheel drive from full time AWD.

I am leaning towards changing the actuator motor however I'm questioning why there was stuttering under hard acceleration. Might this point to worn out clutch plates?

The car has 240,000 km and I do drive it pretty hard in the summer and 4 months of snow covered roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #61
jskin1510
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus77 View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose what is wrong with my 2006 325xi E91 transfer case. Symptoms started 6 months ago with barely noticeable stuttering under open throttle in 6th gear at highway speed (manual transmission). A couple months later this stuttering became more pronounceable and would occur under open throttle starting from 2nd gear. At the same time my long term average mileage improved from 12.5L/100km to 10L/100km. After another couple of months I now get the standard transfer case lights after I start driving (4x4!, abs, traction control, brake lights all come on). I do not hear any grinding noises as some have observed. Once the lights come on there is no more stuttering as I'm assuming the transfer case clucthes disengage the front axle drive. I'm also assuming the gas mileage improvement is due to the fact that the car became rear wheel drive from full time AWD.

I am leaning towards changing the actuator motor however I'm questioning why there was stuttering under hard acceleration. Might this point to worn out clutch plates?

The car has 240,000 km and I do drive it pretty hard in the summer and 4 months of snow covered roads.
Man, my 4x4,abs, TC and brake lights all just started coming on everytime I go into gear the first time after I start it. In hindsight, what you noted above sounds too familiar as well (as far as leading up to the dash lights). I was hoping the issue was something simple or maybe a plug/sensor loose.I'll have to keep an eye on this and keep doin research.

Last edited by jskin1510; 09-13-2017 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: typo.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #62
Lotus77
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

As an update, I replaced the transfer case actuator and now the lights come on immediately after I start the car. Mechanic tried recalibrating the system and it fails (VTG Calibration Failed code and Oil Wear code). Took apart the original actuator and the worm gear and connecting gear looked fine, no wear and are metallic. Not sure what all the talk about plastic gears is about. I'll have to assume the clutch plates are worn out.

Last edited by Lotus77; 10-05-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 05:29 AM   #63
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Quote:
As an update, I replaced the transfer case actuator and now the lights come on immediately after I start the car. Mechanic tried recalibrating the system and it fails (VTG Calibration Failed code and Oil Wear code). Took apart the original actuator and the worm gear and connecting gear looked fine, no wear and are metallic. Not sure what all the talk about plastic gears is about. I'll have to assume the clutch plates are worn out.
Before replacing the clutch pack,switch your old vtg resistor on your new actuator and try again. Part 16

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=27_0032
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #64
Lotus77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
Before replacing the clutch pack,switch your old vtg resistor on your new actuator and try again. Part 16

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=27_0032
My new actuator did not come with a resistor for good reason and so the original resistor was used. I assume that's what you mean? My understanding is the resistor goes with the transfer case as it is selected when the transfer case is tested after being built.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #65
justself
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by who's ur daddy? View Post
Here's the excerpt from my service @ BMW:

Quote:
CHECK CAUSE OF 4x4 WARNING LIGHT ON. SCANNED, PERFORMED TEST PLAN, FOUND THE TRANSFER CASE SERVO MOTOR FAILED, REPLACED.

PART # 27-10-7-546-671
Quote:
Originally Posted by who's ur daddy? View Post
Here's the excerpt from my service @ BMW:

Quote:
CHECK CAUSE OF 4x4 WARNING LIGHT ON. SCANNED, PERFORMED TEST PLAN, FOUND THE TRANSFER CASE SERVO MOTOR FAILED, REPLACED.

PART # 27-10-7-546-671
Man you are dead on 😉
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #66
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

I had the same lights come on my dash a week ago. Dropped the car off at Turner Motorsports and in my case it was the transfer case. I had the actuator go out like 30k miles ago, so I had my fingers crossed it was the motor again. However, when they drained transfer case fluid there were metal bits all in the fluid, so a gear had failed inside the actual transfer case. $3200 to replace the transfer case (reman from BMW), which does come with the actuator fwiw