E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How do i program a new adaptive headlight module I installed?

01-09-2019, 02:22 AM   #89
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper7 View Post
Hi all,

If I'm purchasing a completely new headlight (with adaptive module, both sides) do I need to code after installation?
You should not have to since you have a 2006 330i. This came from factory with Bi-Xenons + AHL. I wouldn't even bother writing the vin as I dont ever see it affect our FRMPL2 (FRM). It should be all plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #90
smi2710
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325xi

hey guys

So the other day completely my fault i left the cap off my passenger headlight and went through a car wash ( forgot it was off doh!!) moving forward took it apart found it full of water and frozen thanks NJ.

Turns out the ballast was no good so i sourced a a new ballast and installed inthe lower passenger light great i have a my headlights again but still have adaptive error. However i am no longer showing the headlight down error in dash only side to side now.

So i have now ordered a new SMC from ebay hope to try it tonight. I'm guessing it will need to be coded but im crossing my fingers it doesn't.

Next question since i have owned the car i have never seen the inner light light up or noticed them turning on when turning. I had no error indicating them not working before my mistake. i can't find a solid answer on how to test them as well

and lastly anyone willing to help me code and wants to team view with me to show me
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #91
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi2710 View Post
hey guys

So the other day completely my fault i left the cap off my passenger headlight and went through a car wash ( forgot it was off doh!!) moving forward took it apart found it full of water and frozen thanks NJ.

Turns out the ballast was no good so i sourced a a new ballast and installed inthe lower passenger light great i have a my headlights again but still have adaptive error. However i am no longer showing the headlight down error in dash only side to side now.

So i have now ordered a new SMC from ebay hope to try it tonight. I'm guessing it will need to be coded but im crossing my fingers it doesn't.

Next question since i have owned the car i have never seen the inner light light up or noticed them turning on when turning. I had no error indicating them not working before my mistake. i can't find a solid answer on how to test them as well

and lastly anyone willing to help me code and wants to team view with me to show me
We can code them or remove the error all together for you.

Do all of your low/high beams work, and does the other side move when you turn the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #92
smi2710
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post

Do all of your low/high beams work, and does the other side move when you turn the steering wheel?
hi and low beams both work nothing moves nor have i ever notice them move since i have owned the car but before the the car wash they would level when i started the car
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #93
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post

hi and low beams both work nothing moves nor have i ever notice them move since i have owned the car but before the the car wash they would level when i started the car
Pm sent
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #94
frankthetoad
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Hi, Joe. Hoping you can help me. I've got a 2011 E90 335i with the bi-xenon adaptive headlights. The inside of the lenses were cloudy, so I bought some used ones off a member of this forum. Stupidly, I thought I just needed to take the old ones out and put the new ones in. Sounds like I need some coding done.

After installing I get the following warnings in my iDrive:

1) Adaptive headlights!
2) Left cornering light malfunction!
3) Right cornering light malfunction!

Would some coding fix my issues? Any help appreciated!

EDIT: To be clear, I replaced an OEM bi-xenon AHL with a used OEM bi-xenon AHL.

Last edited by frankthetoad; 02-21-2019 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #95
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

Wondering if someone could confirm what I need to do to reset the position of the headlight, had an issue where my lights wouldn’t turn and noticed the my passenger light didn’t do a sideways check on startup!

Swapped the SMC over today and the passenger light started working so fitted the working module back onto the driver headlight and noticed that the passenger now works and the drivers moves slightly but it sitting very far over to the right, needs to be aligned back to the centre! I’ve tried the manual adjuster but do have enough adjustment on there

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #96
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuticuti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******84 View Post
Be more specific. Why you want to change VIN in FRM? What happened? Did you replace it? I will try to help you.

To change VIN you can use WinKfp. Comfort mode / Enter ZUSB / Update ZUSB / ENTER VIN / Programm.

If you replaced your FRM module you have to follow steep A first and on the and step B.
Yes, i replaced entire driver side headlight assembly with new ballast & new adaptive module (FMR?) which is at the bottom of the headlight. I understand that it needs to be coded & programmed since the new headlight moves to the opposite direction with the passenger side. Will try step A & B this weekend and let you know
That's not what you need to code. You need to code the smc modules. I can't remember what the modules are named in winkpf but if you send me a screen shot I can tell you
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #97
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan- View Post
Wondering if someone could confirm what I need to do to reset the position of the headlight, had an issue where my lights wouldn't turn and noticed the my passenger light didn't do a sideways check on startup!

Swapped the SMC over today and the passenger light started working so fitted the working module back onto the driver headlight and noticed that the passenger now works and the drivers moves slightly but it sitting very far over to the right, needs to be aligned back to the centre! I've tried the manual adjuster but do have enough adjustment on there

Thanks
You need to code the modules. If you have a bad module it needs to be replaced
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #98
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Also anyone changing modules. I highly suggest coating the modules with a conformal coating to help prevent shorts from water.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 04:05 AM   #99
Dan-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335D, R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Thanks for the reply, is that done using NCS? I’m new to all this unfortunately, I shouldn’t need to write the vin to the module as they have always been installed in the car! Is this the process for coding/resetting the module

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
Ok
Select NFRM
Back
Process ecu
Select RSMC
Change job ‘codierdaten’
Execute job
Change job ‘sg codieren’
Execute job

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #100
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, is that done using NCS? I'm new to all this unfortunately, I shouldn't need to write the vin to the module as they have always been installed in the car! Is this the process for coding/resetting the module

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
Ok
Select NFRM
Back
Process ecu
Select RSMC
Change job 'codierdaten'
Execute job
Change job 'sg codieren'
Execute job

Thanks
That seems rights. Just to be safe do the same process for LSMC.

Also, SMC modules do not need vin. Even if you did replace them.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #101
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, is that done using NCS? I’m new to all this unfortunately, I shouldn’t need to write the vin to the module as they have always been installed in the car! Is this the process for coding/resetting the module

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
Ok
Select NFRM
Back
Process ecu
Select RSMC
Change job ‘codierdaten’
Execute job
Change job ‘sg codieren’
Execute job

Thanks
This doesn't seem to work in my case. It keeps saying ECU BUSY REPEAT RESULTS.

I cannot do a codierdaten_lessen or SG_codiern to either LSMC or RSMC.

I am trying to code in a used right side AHL headlight. My driver's side one works just fine but I can't read or write to LSMC too. All other ECU s can be read/written without problems.

Any thoughts guys?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #102
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Quote:

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
Ok
Select NFRM
Back
Process ecu
Select RSMC
Change job ‘codierdaten’
Execute job
Change job ‘sg codieren’
Execute job

Thanks

I am trying to code in a used right side AHL headlight. My driver's side one works just fine but I can't read or write to LSMC too. All other ECU s can be read/written without problems.

Any thoughts guys?
You might have gotten another bad module.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #103
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:

Any thoughts guys?
I am having the same problem after replacing my LSMC. Also had to replace FRM3 since I accidentally bricked it. I am pretty sure both SMC modules work, because when I start the car, the LSMC moves. I can force the right side to move using active tesc (ISTA-D), but not the left.

When I try to follow steps to sg_codiern the LSMC and RSMC I get this same error message. I believe I just need to modify the VO since I swapped out the FRM3. I think right now I have this as $0910, does anyone know what it is supposed to be?
      11-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #104
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan1972 View Post
Quote:

Any thoughts guys?
I am having the same problem after replacing my LSMC. Also had to replace FRM3 since I accidentally bricked it. I am pretty sure both SMC modules work, because when I start the car, the LSMC moves. I can force the right side to move using active tesc (ISTA-D), but not the left.

When I try to follow steps to sg_codiern the LSMC and RSMC I get this same error message. I believe I just need to modify the VO since I swapped out the FRM3. I think right now I have this as $0910, does anyone know what it is supposed to be?
Ok. What is the original month and year of your car? I don't know what year frm3 is from but let's say you have a original build of 07/07, and it originally had a frm2, when you go to code the new frm3 it will put frm2 files on a frm3 or it won't and you'll get an error. The same goes for the smc modules. If you have your vo set to a different year then what your car is it could be writing the wrong files to your module. I had this issue becuase I left my build date to lci during my cic retrofit. I hope this makes sence
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #105
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok. What is the original month and year of your car? I don't know what year frm3 is from but let's say you have a original build of 07/07, and it originally had a frm2, when you go to code the new frm3 it will put frm2 files on a frm3 or it won't and you'll get an error. The same goes for the smc modules. If you have your vo set to a different year then what your car is it could be writing the wrong files to your module. I had this issue becuase I left my build date to lci during my cic retrofit. I hope this makes sence
Maybe that is the problem then. My original build date, going by the door sticker, is 02/11. The FRM is not that, I think it has the date I installed it or something, so like a month ago. So do I need to remove something from the VO and add something? I'm assuming $0211 ?
      11-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #106
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan1972 View Post
Quote:
Maybe that is the problem then. My original build date, going by the door sticker, is 02/11. The FRM is not that, I think it has the date I installed it or something, so like a month ago. So do I need to remove something from the VO and add something? I'm assuming $0211 ?
Yes that's the build date.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #107
smi2710
Private
Rep

can this be done in pro tools ?

I still have just been dealing with the headlight error but since i actually drive at night again being winter its annoying.

I replaced some modules last year with used ones but never coded it and will buy pro tools if this can be done within the app
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #108
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
can this be done in pro tools ?

I still have just been dealing with the headlight error but since i actually drive at night again being winter its annoying.

I replaced some modules last year with used ones but never coded it and will buy pro tools if this can be done within the app
Did you install new SMC modules for the adaptive headlights? If so, then yes you will need to code them back to factory defaults. I used NCSExpert. You don't need to buy anything, just get the Bimmergeeks Standard Tools. You will probably have to find the daten files for your car also. After everything is installed and working properly, you will want to make sure you can read from the RSMC and LSMC modules in NCSExpert. All you need to do then is program them back to factory default but choosing each module, choose SG_CODERIEN job, and Execute Job. That will program back to factory defaults and should work fine.
      12-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #109
smi2710
Private
Rep

I was hoping for a less complex way that's why I have put it off for so long
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #110
theoforest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 335xi 2007

Garage List
2007 bmw 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, is that done using NCS? I'm new to all this unfortunately, I shouldn't need to write the vin to the module as they have always been installed in the car! Is this the process for coding/resetting the module

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
Ok
Select NFRM
Back
Process ecu
Select RSMC
Change job 'codierdaten'
Execute job
Change job 'sg codieren'
Execute job

Thanks

Any thoughts guys?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Open NCS
F1
F3
Select E89
Ok
Select NFRM
Back
Process ecu
Select RSMC
Change job 'codierdaten'
Execute job
Change job 'sg codieren'
Execute job

Thanks

Any thoughts guys?

Sorry to revive an old post, I have the same probleme. They still initiate when I start the car but i can't do anything In inpa
Appreciate 0