E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Looking for some input .....

03-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d (sold)

Looking for some input .....

I'll start with I love this car, but here lately it seems like all we get are problems. It's a 2010 with 35,000 miles. We just put 4 new run flats on and new battery a few months back, but all these code problems are starting to concern me. 1/2 back from a 1200 mile road trip yesterday the SES light comes on. Ran okay on the highway, but at slow city speed and stopping and going ran rough with a slight rumble. Got it right into the dealer and they said fault code 4593 smooth running controller, cylinder 2 and 004AE6 zero quantity adaptation failure. They wanted to remove intake manifold(aprox 8hrs) but could not tell me what exactly the problem is. They said if the controller just needs to be cleaned nothing is covered by my extended warranty(The Mechanic Program-Platnium Policy-$2289, purchased at Dealer) but if it's broken everything is covered - estimate $1300 aprox for labor - my responsibility if just needs cleaning.

Other repairs: 062014-30,400 miles - replaced o2 sensor
052014-29,669 miles - replaced catalytic converter
042014-29,341 miles - replaced NOX sensor
042014-29,341 miles - replaced pulse generator
082012-20,334 miles - campaign 18 05 12 M57 SCR components - replaced mixer, EGR valve
032012-18,576 miles - both front brake discs warped-replaced along with pads and sensors
022011-9282 miles - campaign - reprogram DDE control units

Granted, a lot of the above was covered or warranty or covered by dealer by goodwill, but I am having a difficult time getting use to the fact that this not so old car with low mileage is starting to throw codes and is having these types of problems especially when all I read tells me that the problems will only potentially get worse. My Mechanic Ext Warranty expires 052017 or 45K miles and I also purchased extended BMW maintenance plan.

So, get it fixed this time and take a beating on the expenses and get(probably lease) something else(probably not BMW - poor quality??) or roll the dice and keep it until all warranties expire?

Am i expecting too much in hoping for a more trouble free experience with these expensive, in my opinion, premium german cars?

Thanks for any thoughts - comments.
2012 Q5 TDI (sold) 2014 Q5 TDI 2016 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Can you have the service advisor pull up the smooth running controller on the computer and show it to you? I'd love to see that.

It sounds like you have early onset cbu, both those codes are common cbu indicators. The only reason to pull the manifold would be to check for cbu. It sounds like your service advisor is either clueless or trying to take advantage of you by telling you they need to pull the manifold to check the "smooth running controller". Those codes together either tell you the fuel injector is failing (does not require image manifold removal) or that there is cbu (manifold removal to verify). Some dealers think they see you coming a mile away so you might want to take it somewhere else. Last time I went in they recommended a new negative battery cable and a whole new power distribution center along with the real reason I was there. Not surprisingly the pdc and negative cable are just fine, and that's $1400 I get to keep.

Does your warranty cover cbu cleaning required by related failures?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Since he only has 35,000 miles (granted his out of normal base warranty by being outside 48 months), one would think he would get the one time goodwill CBU cleaning.

If they want to pull the intake, they are hunting for CBU I suspect. I agree with Hooper.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Can you have the service advisor pull up the smooth running controller on the computer and show it to you? I'd love to see that.

It sounds like you have early onset cbu, both those codes are common cbu indicators. The only reason to pull the manifold would be to check for cbu. It sounds like your service advisor is either clueless or trying to take advantage of you by telling you they need to pull the manifold to check the "smooth running controller". Those codes together either tell you the fuel injector is failing (does not require image manifold removal) or that there is cbu (manifold removal to verify). Some dealers think they see you coming a mile away so you might want to take it somewhere else. Last time I went in they recommended a new negative battery cable and a whole new power distribution center along with the real reason I was there. Not surprisingly the pdc and negative cable are just fine, and that's $1400 I get to keep.

I have to ck the fine print in the warranty. I did ask the service writer if they could check for cbu as long as they had to pull manifold and that I had noticed a drop in the mpg on highway-33mpg instead of 36-39 we're use to. He said that they would only be able to check the intake side and not the exhaust side.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine View Post
He said that they would only be able to check the intake side and not the exhaust side.

Run, don't walk, to a different service center.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post

Run, don't walk, to a different service center.
Can you explain with a little more detail so I can fully understand what might be going on here? Tks!! 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Since he only has 35,000 miles (granted his out of normal base warranty by being outside 48 months), one would think he would get the one time goodwill CBU cleaning.

If they want to pull the intake, they are hunting for CBU I suspect. I agree with Hooper.
Hey BB- can you tell me more re: the one time complimemtary cleaning? tks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Can you explain with a little more detail so I can fully understand what might be going on here? Tks!! ��
Don't worry about it your service place is correct there. If they pull the intake manifold they can't check the exhaust from there. Doesn't matter though because it's the intake side that matters anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Vesrah
Rep

Quote:
Don't worry about it your service place is correct there. If they pull the intake manifold they can't check the exhaust from there. Doesn't matter though because it's the intake side that matters anyway
I think he's trying to say that if the SA even mentioned that they couldn't pull the exhaust side then he has no idea what he's talking about as there wouldn't be a reason to pull/bring up the exhaust manifold in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Goodwill repair is where they decide to do something for free (or perhaps a shared cost between BMWNA and customer). We have read here of a few instances of goodwill repair CBU cleaning. I'm not a warranty guy so I don't know about this other mechanic thing you have.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 03-27-2015 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: always poor spelling or fat fingers
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesrah View Post
I think he's trying to say that if the SA even mentioned that they couldn't pull the exhaust side then he has no idea what he's talking about as there wouldn't be a reason to pull/bring up the exhaust manifold in the first place.
Maybe, maybe not. He wouldn't be the first with build up in the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Perhaps I was a little over-dramatic and harsh with your service manager. That said, given the codes you've got, intake carbon build-up is a distinct possibility and the intake should be inspected to confirm or rule it out. There is no reason to start digging into the exhaust side of things and his statement suggests to me that he's not familiar with the carbon build-up issues these cars can have and his service techs have probably never performed a carbon build-up cleaning. I understand that everyone has to do something a first time, but I wouldn't want it to be on my car.

If CBU is found at minimum I would ask if the tech has ever done a cleaning and if not, and if I couldn't find a place where someone had done it, I would demand before and after photos of all the parts, especially the intake runners for each cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #13
E90OilBurner
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Your repair list is almost a mirror image to mine, with the addition of 1 injector, MAF,and a DPF filter thrown in there as well. My car has just over 43,000 miles and is a 2011.About a month ago it threw a SES code brought it in to dealer and they found code 4592 for smooth running controller, cylinder 4 and recommended carbon cleaning. I have the gold package extended warranty but they stated that carbon cleaning was not covered under the extended warranty. This was one of the main reasons I purchased the warranty in the first place. The estimate was $1300 using walnut blasting to clean the intake and cylinder heads. The dealer also said that BMWNA would cover 95% of the CBU cleaning cost which they did thankfully and supports the comment about some 335d drivers stating that BMW will give you the 1 free complementary CBU cleaning(geez I hope there does not have to be any more!).They also stated that since my car was relatively low mileage(and yours is even lower) that they would cover 95% of the cost. Moving forward I want to install the oil catch can and also meth injection to help stop this issue. To answer your question I think the car is worth keeping if we use some of the preventive measures and fixes people are employing on this website to resolve future problems. Injector failures probably due to lower cetene levels seems to be the cause of what I deem to be the second biggest issue with our cars resulting in me using a cetene boost with each fill up. These are awesome cars guys we just need to stick together and figure out how to solve their quirky issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90OilBurner View Post
Injector failures probably due to lower cetene levels seems to be the cause of what I deem to be the second biggest issue with our cars resulting in me using a cetene boost with each fill up. These are awesome cars guys we just need to stick together and figure out how to solve their quirky issues.
Are injector failures aside from those "failures" related to CBU a common thing? I dont feel like there have been very many random or mileage based failures on here, just the replacements all related to CBU. Im sure there have been some, but it doesnt seem to be a normal issue from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #15
CharlesCA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Are injector failures aside from those "failures" related to CBU a common thing? I dont feel like there have been very many random or mileage based failures on here, just the replacements all related to CBU. Im sure there have been some, but it doesnt seem to be a normal issue from what I can tell.
I had two injectors replaced at 58k miles. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101871

I got rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #16
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Merchant Marine, go read CharlesCA's link. In his first post (in the link), 2nd from the bottom repair he mentions smooth running controller and it was in association with other things that he got CBU cleaning. Might not be your story necessarily but check out his story please. He got his done for $50 deductible through CPO warranty. I know CPO and extended are different animals. Good luck. You might need another dealer for a different reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Sorry for the delay - for some reason I didn't get notified of all the posts.... Anyway, The Mechanic Program Platinum Plan I have is exclusionary - in other words if it's not listed(which CBU Cleaning is not) then it's covered. However, the cleaning is a process per se, not a part, so we'll see. These after market policies seem to be a crap shoot from what I've heard and seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #18
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Goodwill repair is where they decide to do something for free (or perhaps a shares cost between BMWNA and customer). We have read here of a few instances of goodwill repair CBU cleaning. I'm not a warranty guy so I don't know about this other mechanic thing you have.
Got it. Understood. The 1st post sounded like you meant that they were offering walnut cleanings for the 1st time to all who were/are experiencing problems... I was like wow, they finally are admitting to the problem..Tks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #19
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Merchant Marine, go read CharlesCA's link. In his first post (in the link), 2nd from the bottom repair he mentions smooth running controller and it was in association with other things that he got CBU cleaning. Might not be your story necessarily but check out his story please. He got his done for $50 deductible through CPO warranty. I know CPO and extended are different animals. Good luck. You might need another dealer for a different reason.
Will check it out. The plan I bought at BMW Dealer actually had a deductible but when I was negotiating the price I got them to take it out. So, no deductible. The service writer has told me that if the smooth idle controller is not broken then nothing is covered. But if it is broken then the part and labor is covered. Nothing mentioned about CBU cleaning at all. BUT, I did place a call yesterday to BMWNA and talked to an Executive Customer Care person whom I had dealt with last year when the car was throwing codes. She told me that BMW would help out, assist with this problem and for me to call the Dealer Service Mgr. I've placed 2 calls so far and am still waiting for a response/diagnosis as I type this. Will update as soon as I hear something.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #20
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCA View Post
I had two injectors replaced at 58k miles. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1101871

I got rid of the car.
Yours were cbu related "failures". Since they were connected to cbu we can't tell if they were actual failures or just replaced because of cbu
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #21
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Other repairs: 062014-30,400 miles - replaced o2 sensor
052014-29,669 miles - replaced catalytic converter
042014-29,341 miles - replaced NOX sensor
042014-29,341 miles - replaced pulse generator
082012-20,334 miles - campaign 18 05 12 M57 SCR components - replaced mixer, EGR valve
032012-18,576 miles - both front brake discs warped-replaced along with pads and sensors
022011-9282 miles - campaign - reprogram DDE control units
This is a real crap shoot kind of decision. The advice of our other compatriots (CBU) is probably pretty good. To address the question: "am I going to continue to have problems like the above?", I would say no. We all had to deal with the campaigns, the brakes aren't a diesel problem, the catalyst and sensor problems are probably due to below-standard parts, or are all related to the catalyst failure.

My 2010 is at 93K miles, but my driving regime is far different, and I haven't had nearly so many failures (although the SCR system is a worry - I believe it's just going to fail at some time; either the NOx sensors or the catalyst or the tank systems, or all three.)

All that being said, a new 328d is probably more reliable now that the systems are more thoroughly tested, and a 328i will get almost the same mileage and have most of the performance. Problem is that tradein/resale numbers for the 335d are not swell.

BTW, is "LA" Louisiana or Los Angeles. If in CA, there might be some coverage under the 7/70K emissions warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #22
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
This is a real crap shoot kind of decision. The advice of our other compatriots (CBU) is probably pretty good. To address the question: "am I going to continue to have problems like the above?", I would say no. We all had to deal with the campaigns, the brakes aren't a diesel problem, the catalyst and sensor problems are probably due to below-standard parts, or are all related to the catalyst failure.

My 2010 is at 93K miles, but my driving regime is far different, and I haven't had nearly so many failures (although the SCR system is a worry - I believe it's just going to fail at some time; either the NOx sensors or the catalyst or the tank systems, or all three.)

All that being said, a new 328d is probably more reliable now that the systems are more thoroughly tested, and a 328i will get almost the same mileage and have most of the performance. Problem is that tradein/resale numbers for the 335d are not swell.

BTW, is "LA" Louisiana or Los Angeles. If in CA, there might be some coverage under the 7/70K emissions warranty.
Louisiana... I know what you mean re: the resale values. The problem is that we love this car but when these problems continue to happen it just make me wonder what's next and how much is not going to be covered and the expense it will take to remedy the problem with a not so old car with low mileage. I think it's absurd to have these types of problems with such a car. But, maybe that's just me. I'm paraphrasing here, but in talking with the Executive Customer Care BMW rep. yesterday, she originally told me that the problem, whatever it is - still waiting to hear from dealer with diagnosis, left 3 messages yesterday - is a maintenance issue. Then she goes on to say there is nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening. Then she says it's a usage issue because the car is not driven on the highway much at all and it needs to be run on the highway. So it seems like we get the blame for not running the car on the highway and BMW will help out with some or all (don't know yet) of the costs to fix the problem. I certainly don't remember being told when buying the car that if we did not run it on the highway problems were going to happen. It's this shifting the blame part that gets me the most I suppose.
Appreciate 0