E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New AA Tune (2017 updated version)

04-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #111
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

You can change the parameters that cause it. It's definitely possible to tune for more power - how else do you think BPC made 500hp/tq with their N52 turbo?
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      04-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #112
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
That's what I was thinking, so I don't understand why this is even an issue...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #113
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
It sounds like AA is nerfing the tune a bit to deal with the parameters, but I wish they would/could just change those parameters! It's sounding like these motors can make more power than BMW is comfortable with them making or something? To save the transmission? Hmm maybe the DME just doesn't like for the TQ to come on too quickly which the tunes are causing? Of course I don't know anything about these TQ parameters, but wouldn't someone that is boosted constantly trigger this limp mode? Odd indeed.
I'm guessing wildly but I do have some very pig heavy wheels that would have significant rotational inertia and may be causing the measured torque value to jump up above the limp mode threshold. I suppose it's also possible that this only happens at WOT in DS mode above 3500rpm, and only some of us routinely hit those levels enough to trigger the fault. The revised V3 tune they sent me to avoid the fault is definitely a little less edgy than the previous version I was running, and the fault frequency has been lower, but it needs to be eliminated completely.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3760.50
      04-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #114
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
You can change the parameters that cause it. It's definitely possible to tune for more power - how else do you think BPC made 500hp/tq with their N52 turbo?
What's the point of the limiter anyhow? And why not just bump it up to something like 300wtq?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #115
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

the torque management system is just complicated. Modern DMEs don't really monitor "load" in the sense that they used to - everything is based on demanded/expected/actual torque.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #116
tom.gnade
Apex Forged 19", AA headers, MILVs, 3IM, Euro Intake, Swift Spec-R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
the torque management system is just complicated. Modern DMEs don't really monitor "load" in the sense that they used to - everything is based on demanded/expected/actual torque.
What I don't get it why BMW wouldn't just bump traction control a few times first before throwing a limp mode fault. The torque monitoring system is probably designed to prevent mechanical failure of the transmission or other driveline components but in this case the values were obviously set artificially low because 328.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #117
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

it's nothing to do with traction control. They knew what the engine output was when they tuned it - it's not a limiter exactly, it's more like the engine was tuned for a specific output, so that's what the expected torque table is looking for. If it's way outside the expected value the DME assumes something is wrong, because from the factory it would never be tuned that way without adjusting the expected values as well.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #118
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.gnade View Post
because 328.
LOL I'm going to start using this.

It's starting to seem like AA needs to offer hass a contractor position lol. The dedication that a few of our members here have to our N/A community is, well, frankly pleasantly surprising and very-much-appreciated by myself as well as others for sure. I know it's a hobby of y'all's, but going out of your way and taking the time to share what you learn with others is a whole 'nother thing entirely. Humanity has hope! (Can you tell I had my coffee this am lol??)

Maybe this is why there is no steam in the AA MILVS tune pipeline... can you say constant limp mode?

Hmmm

Last edited by atmosphericM; 04-13-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #119
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Hey guys....reading thru all the posts on this thread, should I be concerned with getting the new AA tune? I have my headers and will be installing soon. All this “ limp mode talk” has me a bit concerned. I haven’t had any issues with the AA v2 tune that I’m currently running with my mods.

Thanks for all the good info btw, it’s much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #120
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Hey guys....reading thru all the posts on this thread, should I be concerned with getting the new AA tune? I have my headers and will be installing soon. All this “ limp mode talk” has me a bit concerned. I haven’t had any issues with the AA v2 tune that I’m currently running with my mods.

Thanks for all the good info btw, it’s much appreciated!
I don’t think you should be concerned. It’s hit or miss. There is a lot of people running these tunes, and only handful reported any issues. I never had an issue with it. Had a code show up when I was on v2 of the tune right after the install, but it never caused the a limp mode. I briefly run this tune and other than o2 sensor codes, it didn’t cause any other codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #121
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just did my first event of the year, really liking the new AA “aggressive” tune. Nice low end torque (good for street) and pulls nicely through 7200.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=72
Noir883.00
      04-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #122
banshee28
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP

I have this latest AA tune ands it been very solid for the past few months! Definitely an overall improvement from the previous one, noticeably a little more low end tq.

No issues so far!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #123
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee28 View Post
I have this latest AA tune ands it been very solid for the past few months! Definitely an overall improvement from the previous one, noticeably a little more low end tq.

No issues so far!
Good to hear 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #124
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Update.....been running AA headers with the latest AA tune and “Limp mode” is happening. Seems as if under hard acceleration is when limp mode occurs, usually over 4000rpms.

I get a whole bunch of traction control/brake lights on dash. Car drops to first gear and stays there until I shut car off the back on. Upon pulling codes “engine management interface” fault code shows up. Seems as if the TC is losing communication with the engine.

Anyone seen this or had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #125
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Is it 2D59? - if so, it's not a connection loss, it's a flaw in the tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #126
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is it 2D59? - if so, it's not a connection loss, it's a flaw in the tune.
5E19 is code....im stumped on this one Hass.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #127
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Update.....so after dealing with the recalls and an oil leak I finally got to my performance shop today ref my “tune issue”.

Turns out it was the alternator. Voltage readings from the codes were all over the place. After a qwik install of the new alternator and a 70 mile ride home car is running tip top again.

Props to the guys at Tuning Dynamics of Tampa who diagnosed the problem in minutes. Something that had my Indy shop stumped. If you live anywhere in the Tampa area Tuning Dynamics is the go to for BMW Tuning and performance!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #128
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

I'm not totally convinced that the alternator is the issue. i've had the same limp mode issue with AA tuning, it's the 2D59 as Hass pointed out. But when I had the limp modes with that tune, the car drives STRONG until the limp mode happens, and it's random. I went back and forth with AA for updated tunes until we landed on the latest one which won't yield that problem anymore. BUT...this error-free tune just isn't as strong as it were in the previous update. To be clear, limp mode (with traction/abs/brake lights), happens only when the tune gets the car really going strong. With some slight update (I suspect down-tune), the problem went away. It's been more than a year since that fix AA gave me and I had never run into limp mode again, but I know there's more power to be had. I did go through an alternator replacement three years back, though, and it's independent from when the limp mode issue happens under the AA tune.

I hope you can come back once every few months to see if your issue arrives again, but with that same AA tune still un-touched, of course. I'm willing to accept all possibilities, so it'll be interesting to see how the alternator fix addresses the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #129
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
I'm not totally convinced that the alternator is the issue. i've had the same limp mode issue with AA tuning, it's the 2D59 as Hass pointed out. But when I had the limp modes with that tune, the car drives STRONG until the limp mode happens, and it's random. I went back and forth with AA for updated tunes until we landed on the latest one which won't yield that problem anymore. BUT...this error-free tune just isn't as strong as it were in the previous update. To be clear, limp mode (with traction/abs/brake lights), happens only when the tune gets the car really going strong. With some slight update (I suspect down-tune), the problem went away. It's been more than a year since that fix AA gave me and I had never run into limp mode again, but I know there's more power to be had. I did go through an alternator replacement three years back, though, and it's independent from when the limp mode issue happens under the AA tune.

I hope you can come back once every few months to see if your issue arrives again, but with that same AA tune still un-touched, of course. I'm willing to accept all possibilities, so it'll be interesting to see how the alternator fix addresses the issue.
Well for now the car is running great. Believe me the “limp mode”is always in the back of my mind. I will say that the voltage readings were odd. Highs and lows. The master mechanic at Tuning Dynamics said he’s seen this before. Who’s knows. My warranty covered most all of it, I was out of pocket $200.00 which isn’t bad. AA was aware of my problem and swore it wasn’t a tune issue. But you are not the first person to tell me it’s a power/torque curve problem. I will see how it does over time. Thank you for the input!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #130
BMWE90fan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I know this thread has been dead for about 6 months but it was the most helpful thread I could find so far while contemplating a change to my 330i e90. Why start a new one when you can revive such a great one. Ok this is what I have currently. Obviously the stage 3 intake, magnaflow cat back exhaust with resonator delete, bmw perf euro intake, and a SFP tune from Bob who created the BPC tune. My dilemma in all this is that I want to upgrade to headers and possibly MILV's but I am now on the fence after reading all this.. I do not have any codes or issues after installing tune but I am wanting a bit more power. I just spoke to SFP and they offered to upgrade the tune for free being I was one of the first customers of there new shop; a big thank you to them. My question is what are your experiences with doing both of these mods and would you choose the AA headers over the AFE's? My biggest concern is the CEL's or going into limp mode concerns. I am banking the revised tune would eliminate the chances of this though. Any feedback in helping me make my decision would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #131
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90fan View Post
I know this thread has been dead for about 6 months but it was the most helpful thread I could find so far while contemplating a change to my 330i e90. Why start a new one when you can revive such a great one. Ok this is what I have currently. Obviously the stage 3 intake, magnaflow cat back exhaust with resonator delete, bmw perf euro intake, and a SFP tune from Bob who created the BPC tune. I do not have any codes or issues after installing tune but I am wanting a bit more power. I just spoke to SFP and they offered to upgrade the tune for free being I was one of the first customers of there new shop; a big thank you to them. My question is what are your experiences with doing both of these mods and would you choose the AA headers over the AFE's? My biggest concern is the CEL's or going into limp mode concerns. I am banking the revised tune would eliminate the chances of this though. Any feedback in helping me make my decision would be great.
Your post is somewhat hard to follow, so... Hopefully I am addressing your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90fan View Post
My dilemma in all this is that I want to upgrade to headers and possibly MILV's but I am now on the fence after reading all this..
Essentially, you have all bolt ons other than milvs and headers?

Personally, I tried both and combinations of it: Headers only, Headers + MILVS, Milvs only. I can tell you one thing: Get MILVS. Headers are cool, but you will feel huge difference with milvs (with proper tune that is). Even after removing the headers, I never felt that I lost much hp. Maybe some on top (over 5k rpm), but it was not super noticeable (maybe 6-7).

I can only speak of AA headers. They were really good quality. I had them for over 40k miles. Unprotected, exposed to elements, including salt during winter. When I took them off, they looked like day 2. No wear and tear. No rust. They fit just right without much fuss. If you are in state where inspection is not required, go with catless - less things to fail (AFE fails at about 30k). However, if you don't have any cats, your car will stink. If you care for smell, then get AFE. Yes they fail, but AFE stands behind their products and has replaced failed headers. As alternative, you could go with magnafolw high performance catted headers.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #132
BMWE90fan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Yes i have essentially the old BPC tune, magnaflow cat back exhaust that i deleted the resonator on, the euro bmw performance intake and a high flow foam air filter. I was almost certain about doing the headers but considering the MILVS. I wish I did them a few months ago when I did the eccentric shaft sensor replacement and valve cover gasket. May I ask why you took off the headers? I live in PA and while we do emissions and some counties do visuals; my county does not do the visual inspection. As far as the smell goes it would depend on how bad it would be. I would hate to smell it and others as well; especially if it would make you feel sick lol. I still have the secondary cats in place though. My other concern would be the exhaust being to loud. If i had to i would put back in the resonator that came with the magnaflow system. Trying to find a exhaust note that sounds good with little drone is not easy. Though I like my exhaust sound now. I know with adding the headers the sound will probably change.

Last edited by BMWE90fan; 07-05-2019 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0