E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 Steering Rack Swap

03-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #155
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Use an assistant to hold the wheel straight.
At work i nick the wheel alignment wheel holder
ah good point I didn't realize that was what he was saying... yeah locking the wheel would help. Tie rod adjustment can be used to dial out a small variance during alignment.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #156
thetaobear
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Crimson Red

How to install M3 steering rack correctly

Fantastic- thank you guys for the awesome replies.

The steering wheel is now straight and the rack is centered.

[IMPORTANT!]
FYI for everybody else who is thinking about doing this mod. In my 2009 135i (no servo.), the steering angle is actually different from the M3 steering rack (sourced from a 2008 E93 M3). What this means is that you need to find the center of the rack, cut the plastic tab, and make sure your steering column (or wheel) is at center and place at the right angle at the connection between the column and rack.

1. the M3 steering rack markers (even the arrow to the number that looks exactly like that black arrow attached to the splines) don't mean jack. Use end-to-end method to find the center. What I have done is push the rack to the left end then mark where the arrow is, and push the rack to the right end then mark where the arrow is. About a bit over 1 turn, put the arrow right at the mid-arc between the two markers [first picture below]. (this is a lot more accurate than counting rotations).

2. align that black arrow (which is opposite of the tab) [marked in red in the second photo] to the center [another angle as shown in the third photo]. Sanity check by looking at your tie rods and see if they are approx. the same length (this maybe different if your tie rods are adjusted).

3. cut the tab as [dotted red in 4th image]

4. when attaching the steering column, make sure [green arrow of 5th image] is aligned to where your previous steering column is centered. For me, my center line fo the column is show in the green arrow of the [6th image].

5. To attach the steering column to the rack, to make things easier, lube the splines up a bit and use a screw driver to widen the steering column slit a bit. Have one person doing a bench press below the rack to push it up. Have a second person positioned near the steering wheel with one hand on the right and one hand on the column. Make sure that the steering column arrow [5th image] is aligned with [6th image] before using force to push the steering column onto the rack flush.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50
Biginboca3761.50
tetsuo1111227.00
      06-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #157
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Just did this and just broke off the tab enough to center the rack but could still keep the majority of the tab in place.

One question I have is that when I was bleeding the system I noticed when turning the wheel each way I was getting almost like a push back of an inch or two in the opposite direction.

In other words if I started to turn the steering wheel one way and let go the steering wheel would be pushed back an inch or two in the opposite direction on its own. For context, I was doing this on a lift with the wheels off the car. Cap was removed when bleeding as well.

Any ideas what this could be or if this is normal? Feels like its air in the system just pushing back with some resistance.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #158
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E92, X5 F15, 330Ci e46

any new info on this?

my 335d has active steering, that should work on the same principle as the M3 servotronic am I right??

has anyone mounted the M3 steering rack to a car with active steering?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #159
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I did the swap about 3 months ago. Very happy with it and absolutely no need for messing with the servotronic in my opinion. I feel those concerns are exaggerated it does have less assist but it’s nothing like not having power steering or anything.

I even let someone drive my car last week and afterwards asked him how’s the steering feel. He said fine and didn’t notice anything strange or comment that it has low assist and he even has a e90 daily he dailies too. Then I told him I had swapped an m3 rack into the car and the m3 rack had less power assist. He said he would never have known if I didn’t tell him it just felt natural to him.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #160
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Can this plastic piece be revived and reinstalled to align with non m3 steering shaft? Or must be cut?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #161
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I did the swap about 3 months ago. Very happy with it and absolutely no need for messing with the servotronic in my opinion. I feel those concerns are exaggerated it does have less assist but it's nothing like not having power steering or anything.

I even let someone drive my car last week and afterwards asked him how's the steering feel. He said fine and didn't notice anything strange or comment that it has low assist and he even has a e90 daily he dailies too. Then I told him I had swapped an m3 rack into the car and the m3 rack had less power assist. He said he would never have known if I didn't tell him it just felt natural to him.
i have nothing against harder steering, but as my car already has active steering, and the M3 rack has servotronic, I was just curious on what principle does the active steering system work, if it's pretty much the same they shouod be interchangable with minor adjustments, right?!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #162
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Can this plastic piece be revived and reinstalled to align with non m3 steering shaft? Or must be cut?
I briefly toyed with the idea of realigning it but it didn’t look feasible so I just cut it and moved on. I don’t feel I lost any benefit by cutting.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-12-2018, 04:45 AM   #163
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechicken View Post
i have nothing against harder steering, but as my car already has active steering, and the M3 rack has servotronic, I was just curious on what principle does the active steering system work, if it's pretty much the same they shouod be interchangable with minor adjustments, right?!
There is a planetary gearbox on yours (AcStering) versus plain rack/pinion with el/mech regulation of power assist on the one from M3. So no, it is not the same. AS changes variably the ratio hence it is a bit unpredictable for a real motorsport application.
In a daily driver you get the best of both, so do not mess with it and enjoy the AS magic behind.
      11-12-2018, 04:57 AM   #164
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpro View Post
Quote:
There is a planetary gearbox on yours (AcStering) versus plain rack/pinion with el/mech regulation of power assist on the one from M3. So no, it is not the same. AS changes variably the ratio hence it is a bit unpredictable for a real motorsport application.
In a daily driver you get the best of both, so do not mess with it and enjoy the AS magic behind.
TBH my AS rack is almost at it's last breath, 200k miles with a lowered suspension and 19" wheels have left it's toll.

I already contacted ZF as their HQ is in the vicinity, and there is no refurbishing possibility for the AS rack, only to buy a new one, that costs around 2500€ (~2800usd), I never liked it anyways, too mushy for my driving style, and is a pretty problematic system.

On the other hand, I found a brand new M3 rack for 600€ (680usd), and am willing to give it a shot, I wouldn't mind a firmer steering wheel.

It just remains to decode the AS so that it doesn't give faults, and eventually somehow retrofit the Servotronic, some e87 guys did it, but no one gave exact instructions, I guess I'll have to explore and discover for myself.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #165
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
The tab serves no purpose other than to align the steering shaft with the rack. You break it off because the Stock shaft does not align with the M3 rack. There is no need for the locating tab it just makes finding the center of the rack easier.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #166
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
TBH my AS rack is almost at it's last breath, 200k miles with a lowered suspension and 19" wheels have left it's toll.

I already contacted ZF as their HQ is in the vicinity, and there is no refurbishing possibility for the AS rack, only to buy a new one, that costs around 2500€ (~2800usd), I never liked it anyways, too mushy for my driving style, and is a pretty problematic system.

On the other hand, I found a brand new M3 rack for 600€ (680usd), and am willing to give it a shot, I wouldn't mind a firmer steering wheel.

It just remains to decode the AS so that it doesn't give faults, and eventually somehow retrofit the Servotronic, some e87 guys did it, but no one gave exact instructions, I guess I'll have to explore and discover for myself.
I haven't done this yet but have done the coding for others and it's certainly in the queue. You should be able to just remove AS from your VO and add Servotronic, default coding it all afterwards. Servotronic itself is wired in the JBBF, where you should also check to make sure it is coded aktiv. There's also a cutoff point in JBBF modules that support this, you'll need to be JBBFEII.C06 or higher.

Here's a link to the wiring schematic. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tronic/v6RC5hy
      11-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #167
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep

Brand new M3 steering rack indahaus!

Fun fact: from 2015 onwards BMW steering racks are coming with a Bosch stamp and part number, as "Bosch AG" bought "ZF Lenksysteme GmbH".

Install sometimes after new year's eve knowing me..
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      11-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #168
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

Quote:
Brand new M3 steering rack indahaus!

Fun fact: from 2015 onwards BMW steering racks are coming with a Bosch stamp and part number, as "Bosch AG" bought "ZF Lenksysteme GmbH".

Install sometimes after new year's eve knowing me..
Firechicken please do a diy when you do get it installed! Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #169
Firechicken
BMW abuser
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLER335I View Post
Firechicken please do a diy when you do get it installed! Thanks in advance!
no worries, will do, I'll try to document it step by step as much as my mechanic allows me to disturb him

but as I said, not before january/february, no need and no time for it now..
Appreciate 1
8081M40.50
      03-27-2019, 04:01 AM   #170
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Install

Quote:
no worries, will do, I'll try to document it step by step as much as my mechanic allows me to disturb him

It's The end of March now, have you had a chance to do the install yet? Thanks!
      07-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #171
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update

Quote:

Firechicken it is July now any updates?
      07-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #172
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

he's one of those types that takes all the information and never gives back to the community
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #173
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 Jet Black 335i (E92)

Just completed this swap and wanted to share some words of wisdom and clarity to those looking to also do this modification in the future.

Maintaining the M3 tie rods that come with the M3 rack is not an option, even if you have the upgraded M3 control arms in the front!. I have the m3 arms and the m3 tie rods were too long and could not thread in close enough to get the toe in to where it should be. See the comparison picture below of the m3 vs the 335i inner tie rods I took with both out:

Imagine the right side is going towards your wheel with the left side being towards the center of your car. On the m3 tie rod, they jut out further and do not have the ability to to use the threads which go further in like the 335 tie rod to bring the toe in towards the center of the vehicle.

This causes your car to toe out - like having your heels together and making your toes go away from each other. You can get close having the tie rods threaded all the way in, but not close enough to get the toe to where it should be.

Long story short - when your replace your steering rack, take off the tie rods both inner and outer from your 3 series and put those on the m3 rack you are putting in. Bonus tip #2, when taking off your inner tie rods, this can require a lot of torque! It is much easier taking these off when the rack is still on the car. Ask me how I know

Hope this helps someone! Car feels great so far. Steering does not feel overly difficult at all even at low speeds. It’s not even remotely close to driving a car without power steering. I have not had the chance to play around with it too much since I just got a new clutch and flywheel put in at the same time and am breaking things in. Will report back if there’s interest in my feedback on the mod down the line.

-Kooshi3
Appreciate 3
BIGGNS403.00
tetsuo1111227.00
8081M40.50
      07-31-2019, 11:16 PM   #174
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshi3 View Post
Just completed this swap and wanted to share some words of wisdom and clarity to those looking to also do this modification in the future.

Maintaining the M3 tie rods that come with the M3 rack is not an option, even if you have the upgraded M3 control arms in the front!. I have the m3 arms and the m3 tie rods were too long and could not thread in close enough to get the toe in to where it should be. See the comparison picture below of the m3 vs the 335i inner tie rods I took with both out:

Imagine the right side is going towards your wheel with the left side being towards the center of your car. On the m3 tie rod, they jut out further and do not have the ability to to use the threads which go further in like the 335 tie rod to bring the toe in towards the center of the vehicle.

This causes your car to toe out - like having your heels together and making your toes go away from each other. You can get close having the tie rods threaded all the way in, but not close enough to get the toe to where it should be.

Long story short - when your replace your steering rack, take off the tie rods both inner and outer from your 3 series and put those on the m3 rack you are putting in. Bonus tip #2, when taking off your inner tie rods, this can require a lot of torque! It is much easier taking these off when the rack is still on the car. Ask me how I know

Hope this helps someone! Car feels great so far. Steering does not feel overly difficult at all even at low speeds. It’s not even remotely close to driving a car without power steering. I have not had the chance to play around with it too much since I just got a new clutch and flywheel put in at the same time and am breaking things in. Will report back if there’s interest in my feedback on the mod down the line.

-Kooshi3
Thanks for the tip!! Super helpful as I’m planning this as well. We’re you able to remove the m3 tie rods when the rack was off the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #175
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 Jet Black 335i (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
Thanks for the tip!! Super helpful as I’m planning this as well. We’re you able to remove the m3 tie rods when the rack was off the car?
Yes, but it was . We had to put the steering rack in a bench clamp so that it would not move and it required significant torque to get it to budge. Definitely much easier (and recommended) to take it off when its connected to the car and cannot move.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #176
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshi3 View Post
Yes, but it was . We had to put the steering rack in a bench clamp so that it would not move and it required significant torque to get it to budge. Definitely much easier (and recommended) to take it off when its connected to the car and cannot move.
Where did you buy a used rack?
Appreciate 0