E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track

07-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #551
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
They melted the pad sensor head that was tie wrapped behind the brake shield! They also cooked the CRC brake quiet compound that I usually spray on my pads (not that it helps in any way with track pads), here's a fun pic:

were they at least performing better for all that added heat??
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #552
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post

were they at least performing better for all that added heat??
Not really. Similar performance to the PFC01, strong bite, no fade, similar estimated stopping ability, different design though: The PFC01s are designed to float, the DTC70s come with clips. Both sound like a freight train when cold.

I'm planning to go back to PFC01s for the next event.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #553
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRO View Post
Nice video. What did you use to mount your iPhone?
Its a ram mount. works great
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #554
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 Auto Sport Red

RAM-B-166-AP9U or RAP-B-166-2-AP9U ? Both are suction cup windshield mount. Did you turn it upside down so you don't see the mount in the video?
      07-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #555
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRO View Post
RAM-B-166-AP9U or RAP-B-166-2-AP9U ? Both are suction cup windshield mount. Did you turn it upside down so you don't see the mount in the video?
RAM-B-166-AP9U. U film in landscape mode so u wont see the mount
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #556
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Flame suit engaged...

So, I found that 90 degree heat makes for 16 minutes of fun (and no more).

I have followed this thread with a great deal of interest as I had every intention of selling my beloved Porsche 968 and Daily Driving and Fun Driving my 335i. This proposition only works for me if I can rely on my 3er to deliver the goods for more than 16 minutes at a time. In 75 degree heat I can get enough track time to run until I am out of gas, but in 90 degree heat, I can only get in 16 minutes.

So, I have seen the solutions offered here include:
  • Larger oil cooler
  • Remove the coolant or run a more diluted mixture

My questions though is this. Does the BMW Performance Power Kit solve the temperature issue? The kit contains all of the additional cooling hardware and software that is found on the z435is, 335is, and 1M. I would think (like to believe) that BMW would not let an M product out of the door that could not lap for days on end without any trouble at all.

Does anyone here have any data or information related to this kit (the Performance Power Kit) or these cars and there ability to handle track days in the heat?

It is an expensive proposition to install the PPK, but the value proposition for me is there if it will accomplish what the Stett cooler does, while maintaining my CPO warranty and coming with a 2 year warranty all its own.

Thanks for the feedback (and the flames - if I read anything about the PPK over at the N54 turbo engine forums it is always about how the PPK doesn't make the horsepower - and my focus is on removing more heat).

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #557
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968tomr View Post

I have followed this thread with a great deal of interest as I had every intention of selling my beloved Porsche 968 and Daily Driving and Fun Driving my 335i. This proposition only works for me if I can rely on my 3er to deliver the goods for more than 16 minutes at a time. In 75 degree heat I can get enough track time to run until I am out of gas, but in 90 degree heat, I can only get in 16 minutes.

• Larger oil cooler

My questions though is this. Does the BMW Performance Power Kit solve the temperature issue? The kit contains all of the additional cooling hardware and software that is found on the z435is, 335is, and 1M. I would think (like to believe) that BMW would not let an M product out of the door that could not lap for days on end without any trouble at all.

Does anyone here have any data or information related to this kit (the Performance Power Kit) or these cars and there ability to handle track days in the heat?

It is an expensive proposition to install the PPK, but the value proposition for me is there if it will accomplish what the Stett cooler does, while maintaining my CPO warranty and coming with a 2 year warranty all its own.

Thanks for the feedback (and the flames - if I read anything about the PPK over at the N54 turbo engine forums it is always about how the PPK doesn't make the horsepower - and my focus is on removing more heat).

-Tom
Well first of all, your focus is completely correct. Remove the heat. That'll allow you to practice your driving more and you will become faster. This isn't a more horsepower flame, I just know from experience that reliability and handling are the main issues with our cars.

The 335is, which is what you would have essentially, overheats at the track. BMW did some other things with the 1M to keep it cool: more air to the extra radiator and oil cooler with better ducting design and there is a large air outlet behind each front wheel which allows the hot air to get out. I can't say if you can run the 1M for days as I have no experience with them or seeing one being driven hard.

Use one of the proven methods exampled in the spreadsheet: Stett Dual, ER Dual, both with distilled water and MOCOOL. You could also do the PPK with a STETT or ER single for the added radiator. Probably good for an MT.

God luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #558
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:

• Larger oil cooler

-Tom
Great question. I don't know if anyone on this thread has the PPK. Personally, I would strongly suggest you run water first to see if that does it for you. If so, that'll save you some money. It made a significant difference for me. I'm going to Thunderhill in a couple weeks and the temps will probably be 95-100. That will be the real test for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #559
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Agreed. Try the higher percentage of water in the radiator first. On my MT car, with temps in the mid 90s (F), the computer still showed coolant temps max out at 110*C. Even with improved ducting, oil temps still got too hot, and I'm a novice. I definitely need to get a big oil cooler (or two).
      07-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #560
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
-Tom
I've made this comment earlier in the thread, but I will make it again. I've followed the 1M forums, and in 80F+ weather they are seeing very high oil temps. Guys are hitting 280F after just a few laps. Sorry but the PPK won't cut it. IMHO. Its just 0.5L more of radiator, which obviously won't do a thing, especially with the 1M's additional power, and thus heat. Most of us see the exact same results by turning on the heater. The coolant then flows through the heat exchanger (0.5L), and is blown by a fan. Same exact thing as adding an auxiliary radiator. The PPK also adds a larger fan, and runs the water pump harder. All that still doesn't hold a candle to STETT/ER Oil cooler + diluted coolant and water wetter.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #561
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

I did a quick search and the highest reported temperature of the 1M has been 280F on a hot day at 98F after 5-6 hot laps. The stock 335i would have limped by now. No 1M has reported limp mode yet (unless I missed it).

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555930
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=540565&page=2

Last edited by JunkStory; 07-19-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #562
968tomr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Please keep the feedback coming...

It is great to see the opinions from everyone, and I had researched this at the 1addicts forum as well.

I would love to hear some first hand accounts of owners with the PPK, or 335is/1M, that have used the car on track.

Thanks again everyone.

-Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #563
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
I did a quick search and the highest reported temperature of the 1M has been 280F on a hot day at 98F after 5-6 hot laps. The stock 335i would have limped by now. No 1M has reported limp mode yet (unless I missed it).

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555930
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=540565&page=2
If you're looking for pure temperature induced limp modes, those don't occur until 290F. All N54 powered vehicles will go into a reduced power mode after sustained temps of 270+ (engine malfunction!, reduced power). So, you can still be racing, but you're going to be half as fast. The other guy was racing in like 80 degree weather and his 1M was over 270F. Even if BMW removed the reduced power mode, the ECU will seriously dial back timming, and thus power, once it sees oil temps over 270, and air temps over 80F. So sir, I'm sorry but 1M stock cooling= FAIL at the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #564
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It is great to see the opinions from everyone, and I had researched this at the 1addicts forum as well.

I would love to hear some first hand accounts of owners with the PPK, or 335is/1M, that have used the car on track.

Thanks again everyone.

-Tom
BIG WASTE OF MONEY, for performance, or cooling. None of the professional racers have touched any component from that kit. HP autowerks used a 3L liter radiator, with stock oil cooler, pushing almost 500 Horse. The trick was with the distilled water + coolant additive mix. ER used their upgraded oil cooler, stock radiator + distilled water & Motul Mocool.

I don't know where your getting this PPK idea from. No one on this thread has used that stuff on the track.

on a lighter note: WOOHOOO! 1,000th post! I'm a major now!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #565
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
If you're looking for pure temperature induced limp modes, those don't occur until 290F. All N54 powered vehicles will go into a reduced power mode after sustained temps of 270+ (engine malfunction!, reduced power). So, you can still be racing, but you're going to be half as fast. The other guy was racing in like 80 degree weather and his 1M was over 270F. Even if BMW removed the reduced power mode, the ECU will seriously dial back timming, and thus power, once it sees oil temps over 270, and air temps over 80F. So sir, I'm sorry but 1M stock cooling= FAIL at the track.
Where are you getting the reduced power info from? I see the first post mentions coolant power reduction but does not show anything for oil temps. Btw, I know I hit 285 at Infineon but did not go into reduced power mode. The question I would ask is what defines 'sustained temps'?

Congrats Major.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #566
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Where are you getting the reduced power info from? I see the first post mentions coolant power reduction but does not show anything for oil temps. Btw, I know I hit 285 at Infineon but did not go into reduced power mode. The question I would ask is what defines 'sustained temps'?

Congrats Major.
Actually the oil temps dont even need to hit 280 to notice the reduced power. Timing is significantly pulled back I can feel it even at 270F~ on the track. I believe boost however is also pulled back in conjunction with the timing starting aroudn 280F+. Limp mode due to oil temps does not occur until 300 or 310F. I dont think youll see an error light (i know I havnt at 290F) but the car will be significantly weaker in terms of power output.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #567
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
Actually the oil temps dont even need to hit 280 to notice the reduced power. Timing is significantly pulled back I can feel it even at 270F~ on the track. I believe boost however is also pulled back in conjunction with the timing starting aroudn 280F+. Limp mode due to oil temps does not occur until 300 or 310F. I dont think youll see an error light (i know I havnt at 290F) but the car will be significantly weaker in terms of power output.
I guess that makes sense. I didn't noticed my high temp until my cool down lap so it's possible I didn't notice the power loss. For sure there wasn't an error light. I'll try to pay more attention to temps and power next time. Then again, unsure that's where my attention should go when at the track
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #568
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
I dont think youll see an error light (i know I havnt at 290F) but the car will be significantly weaker in terms of power output.
You get an engine malfunction error at 300F, I've posted a pic somewhere in the beginning of this thread, but as you mentioned power loss starts much earlier. Also, last year prior to my OC upgrade temps would jump fast from 280 to 300F despite running with reduced power.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #569
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It sounds like the 1M runs perfectly fine on the track with you going all out. The cooling seems more than capable of holding temps below limp mode threshold. Thats not to say youll get all the power from the engine on the track however... im sure the timing/boost is tapered back a lot but youll reach a steady state condition on the track where the car wont limp.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #570
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Based on limited info, yes but we're discussing oem boost levels on the 1M. Once the piggyback tuners jump on that bandwagon (I already see one such thread at a tuner's forum) that 280F oil temp may prove too close to the tipping point.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #571
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Based on limited info, yes but we're discussing default boost levels on the 1M. Once the piggyback tuners jump on that bandwagon (I already see one such thread at a tuner's forum) that 280F oil temp may prove too close to the tipping point.
I dont think its fair to expect the 1M's cooling system to be able to cool down higher boost levels than it was designed for? but i know what u mean. the cooling seems barely sufficient for its stock trim and 270-280F is too high and some power loss/heat soak will definately be felt on track
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #572
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Also, I will say I did get an error light from oil temps hitting 300*F.