E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Clutch judder - a fix?

10-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #23
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

With the CDV removed we now have a thumbs up from Fiona, decided to keep it.

I was offered £19500 for it against a 325d sport touring with all the toys, and a nice £2500 discount on the E91, but think I would prefer to keep the X1, I have really fallen for it big time. If I could do it again I would buy a 20d or 23d auto, but love the X1 overall.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #24
Captain SlowCoach
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI 330d Touring Manual

Have a 330d - now done 14,000 miles and am on my third clutch, last one done 3 weeks ago.

To be honest quite poor service from Rybrook in Warwick (this is the second time in with them for this, first at 8,000 miles in April and now at 14k) Had the car 2 days - no loan car at all, and pretty poor detail about what was happening/what they did. Less than 400 miles later - and it back to where it was. Lots of reverse shake - oh and now gained a rattle somewhere under the transmission tunnel. . . ) Come on BMW - you have built thousands of these critters - what ARE you playing at. My wifes golf with 80k on is better than this . . .

Captain SlowC

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #25
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I've spoken to someone today who did seem to know what he was talking about and as previously mentioned it appears there are in fact two modifications available shortly. He's going to contact me later today with more details and what criteria for having one or both parts fitted.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #26
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Keep us posted. There is a lot of mixed info on this fix - the email I read about my car said there is the clutch kit (3 piece - bearing pressure plate and disc) due in Dec. Really hope it sorts this, unlike the September clutch I have - as not only does it still judder, its also introduced a slight vibration that you can feel when you clutch down to change gears (only when engine running over 2,000 rpm though)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:01 AM   #27
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a little update. The modified clutch assembly is still on track for December according to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #28
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

My dealer said the same. Hopefully shall be out mid December. Looking forward to the fix and hope it fixes the problem once and for all
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #29
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

My dealer called me while I was on the way home. Quite an interesting chat but I promised not to say anything.

It turns out BMW have made their mind up over which version of the modified clutch will be made available. My dealer told BMW that they had one of the effected cars in at the moment for unrelated work and why not fit the clutch now to save the customer (me) having to come back at a later date. It appears that BMW have agreed to this and if the parts can be delivered in time I'll have the new clutch in this week. Possibly a new flywheel too but that's up to BMW.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #30
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330xi auto

nice trick and thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #31
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah cool. Let us know how it goes. I think i'm going to have to hold tight 'til December. Luckily I know quite a few people from my dealership so always am looked after but with the amount of times i've called about this i'm actually embarassed to call them again!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #32
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
but with the amount of times i've called about this i'm actually embarassed to call them again!
I know how you feel but then I think 'Damn it! This needs sorting!'

Anyhoo, they're on with the clutch and I should get it back tomorrow. Still no word on the flywheel but they seem to think it won't be necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #33
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Will this be a recall or warranty issue only?

My warranty expires soon and am keen to get this fix if I can...
      11-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #34
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I know how you feel but then I think 'Damn it! This needs sorting!'

Anyhoo, they're on with the clutch and I should get it back tomorrow. Still no word on the flywheel but they seem to think it won't be necessary.
Ah cool .
I had a new flywheel in my last clutch change but really had to push for it as my car only had 8,000 miles then and there was no wear. The new flywheel didn't make any noticable difference to be honest but would be good to replace so that everything's nice and new in there. They will measure it though as matter of course and only replace if below their tolerance levels.

Hope it all goes well
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #35
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post

I'm pretty sure this will be a warranty issue only. If it expires soon best thing is to get it in asap and diagnosed. My dealer didn't but I know of a few others who have had to authorise gearbox removal and if its not a warranty claim then they have to pay for the removal/refit labour - which is by no means cheap!

Best thing is to discuss it with your dealer asap.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #36
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

interesting, as I think CDV has little to do with it. I removed it, and many of us have been driving anything but manuals. I still get the "clutch" judder. The only thing CDV does is avoiding clutch plates join too fast if you can't use a clutch. It has no influence when trying to "feather" the clutch

I don't think it is clutch judder. Dual Mass Flywheel judder comes to mind
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #37
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

interesting, as I think CDV has little to do with it. I removed it, and many of us have been driving anything but manuals. I still get the "clutch" judder. The only thing CDV does is avoiding clutch plates join too fast if you can't use a clutch. It has no influence when trying to "feather" the clutch

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #38
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post

Certainly warranty. As bmwak says, get it in ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak
I had a new flywheel in my last clutch change but really had to push for it as my car only had 8,000 miles then and there was no wear. The new flywheel didn't make any noticable difference to be honest but would be good to replace so that everything's nice and new in there. They will measure it though as matter of course and only replace if below their tolerance levels.
I'm trying to nudge them towards the flywheel too but I doubt it will be changed. Apparently they've checked it and it's OK but they're in touch with BMW for the final answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #39
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post

I agree. Nothing to do with the CDV. And though the Dual Mass Flywheel is often mentioned I've driven cars with them for years with no issues. This is the first diesel though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #40
320d177
Rep
Drives: bmw e91 320d

Clutch juddering

Hello

Have a same problem with juddering on my 2008/10 320d. At the moment have a 82tkm on the clock and runs on a 3rd flying wheel and on a 3rd clutch. They have also put the new software on, which revs up alone up to 1300rpm by setting off. Have made a 4000km since last clutch+flyingwheel replacement and it is starting to judder again by setting off.

I really like the car, but this juddering is driving me crazy.

Glad to read, that BMW works on a mechanical solution of this common problem.

I'd really apreciate it if can someone get a new spareparts numbers and post them. I think I'll have easier work to convince my dealer to change the clutch again, because my car is not in warranty anymore. I hope they'll change it because I have done only couple of thousands km since last replacement and the problem still emerges. Please keep us informed. Thanks

Greetings from Slovenia

Tadej
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #41
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Well if I can find out more I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #42
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

I picked up the car this afternoon and I can report that there is no judder. I tried all the usual places and situations and not a thing. Result!

A couple of points to consider though. When I originally had the clutch replaced at a much lower mileage (around 2k iirc) the judder didn't reappear for a week or two so I'll have to keep an eye (foot) on this.

Secondly, I'm not sure if it's because the clutch is brand new but I could feel a slight 'grinding' with the pedal fully depressed in standing traffic. Nothing to do with the pedal travel but instead when the pedal is fully down. Apart from the previously mentioned new clutch I have no experience of having them fitted. Well not for years anyway. Is this to be expected for the first few miles? Feedback would be appreciated. And I'll update this tomorrow after a few more miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #43
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds promising. Yes even with me it was fine for two weeks then the judder reared its ugly head, so do keep an eye, hopefully judder no more!

When I had my clutch replaced previously with the September updated clutch I had two 'moans': the first was a grind felt at a certain point every rotation when the clutch pedal was to the floor in traffic (think you've got the same feeling) don't worry it will be fine in about 500 miles once bedded in, just don't drive hard 'til then. The second I had was that if you are driving whilst the engine is running between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm and you decide to change the gear (as per the shift indicator), you feel a vibration/resistance from the clutch pedal at the mid-point of the clutch pedal travel. Do you get this at all?

I am still getting this vibration but they say its normal for 320d's and i'll probably get this on the new clutch too. For some reason i'm not convinced by this. I did ask to borrow another equivalent as a loan car to compare but they never have one available .
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #44
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Fair enough with the 'grind'. I'll give it some time to bed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
The second I had was that if you are driving whilst the engine is running between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm and you decide to change the gear (as per the shift indicator), you feel a vibration/resistance from the clutch pedal at the mid-point of the clutch pedal travel. Do you get this at all?
I'll let you know about this. I pay no attention to the shift indicator though. In fact it's the first thing I turn off when I get in a BMW.
Appreciate 0