E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New PROcede Application

02-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

New PROcede Application

Hi guys,

I'm not aware if anyone else has explored this route yet, but I wanted to be able to tap into the PROcede to get access to it's data and display it on my own custom UI.

I have whipped up a quick UI in Java which currently shows engine RPM's. Obviously there is much more data to display (boost is my next effort), I just haven't enabled it yet. But, I think you can see where this is going.

The display looks a little choppy, probably because I'm running it in a virtual machine. Eventually I will move to a tablet running Windows 7 (or Windows 8) and the responsiveness of the needle should improve.

Also I've attached a screenshot of the GUI since the video is a bit blurry...

What do ya think?
Attached Images

Last edited by scottro; 02-05-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you can get it working into the I drive screen it would be nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

What is your end game, out of interest?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
If you can get it working into the I drive screen it would be nice!
Yeah that would be pretty sweet! No plans for that at the moment though, was just planning to mount a tablet some where.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
What is your end game, out of interest?
To have a tablet (touch screen) that I can select different data values and have them displayed on screen. I've always wanted a little more out of the UI that comes with PROcede.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
To have a tablet (touch screen) that I can select different data values and have them displayed on screen. I've always wanted a little more out of the UI that comes with PROcede.
Yeah that would be cool but having it on the idrive would be even cooler
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Awesome initiative! If you can find a real-time VM and skinny down the windows you might have a shot at getting more out of the proceed's user interface. Alternatively, I think it would be cool to just better automate the logging controls and create a more user understandable front end for the user settings. I love the Continuous engineering of the V5, but sometimes having to research all of the logic to make a simple boost limit adjustment is much harder than it should be
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
Awesome initiative! If you can find a real-time VM and skinny down the windows you might have a shot at getting more out of the proceed's user interface. Alternatively, I think it would be cool to just better automate the logging controls and create a more user understandable front end for the user settings. I love the Continuous engineering of the V5, but sometimes having to research all of the logic to make a simple boost limit adjustment is much harder than it should be
I hear ya, that would be cool. But since I am not working with anyone from Vishnu and I have to figure out on my own how to get the data out of the PROcede, I am not going to attempt writing new values to the map on my own car So for the time being it will be just displaying data ...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

i've always been curious to how procede stream the data. looks like you figured out the protocol. is it just serial data (over usb) ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Yep, it's serial data using custom format commands.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Ambitious! Best of luck to ya. Mad props if you can figure out stuff like map switching =)

I'm not sure how deep you're willing to go, but if you could separate the libraries that perform activities (reading/changing/saving data) from the UI, and open source some or all of it, I'm sure you'd get help.

I've entertained the thought of making some sort of adapter that can plug into piggies (via serial or usb) and give it wifi or bluetooth so that its controllable from your phone or tablet. I wouldn't know where to begin with cracking the protocols though..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, just a bunch of bytes being pushed back and forth over the serial channel.

phazen-- Yeah, I have had similar ideas as well regarding the bluetooth or wifi module. Currently, I'm not aware of any applications that run on your phone that allow you to tune your car Most are just diagnostic data viewing ...

However, is there really a need to tune your car on the go from your phone?? Maybe.... Maybe not... Not sure how much of a demand there would be for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

I would love to have the ability to perform a datalog from my iphone and email it to myself...that would reduce the need for an in-car computer that is always flailin around and running out of battery. Plus, you could essentially log at any time
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
MrHeavyFoot
Private
Rep
Drives: Stock E90

I want to be able to see real boost on either the iDrive or my Android device. Bonuses would be real time graphing of other parameters, setting max boost on the fly etc.

I'm currently using the Torque Android app but some readings seem off so it's not really useful.

There was a pretty cool project described here some time ago but the OP wouldn't share any details.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578237

I don't know where to start deciphering serial protocols so I'd love to see your project progress and wish you luck! Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

"Danger to manifold"

Irub
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

i wonder if something like usb print server can talk to procede and relay it?
if i had the board design, i could put a wifi chip or bluetooth chip to interface with the serial port a lot easier than patching and reverse engineering things.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Yep, just a bunch of bytes being pushed back and forth over the serial channel.

phazen-- Yeah, I have had similar ideas as well regarding the bluetooth or wifi module. Currently, I'm not aware of any applications that run on your phone that allow you to tune your car Most are just diagnostic data viewing ...

However, is there really a need to tune your car on the go from your phone?? Maybe.... Maybe not... Not sure how much of a demand there would be for that.
As was said by another member, the need is really going to be around the monitoring on your phone, but being able to make changes in a config menu couldn't hurt!

Might not be the same device (since the PROcede doesn't have the capability), but I've also wanted to be able to do corner deletes, or other "coding" using my phone.

Last edited by phazen23; 02-06-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
scottro
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeavyFoot View Post
I want to be able to see real boost on either the iDrive or my Android device. Bonuses would be real time graphing of other parameters, setting max boost on the fly etc.

I'm currently using the Torque Android app but some readings seem off so it's not really useful.

There was a pretty cool project described here some time ago but the OP wouldn't share any details.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578237

I don't know where to start deciphering serial protocols so I'd love to see your project progress and wish you luck! Subscribed!

Wow, I hadn't seen that guys progress. That is impressive. He is so much further along than me that it makes me not want to continue. Why do what someone else has already done?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerep1 View Post
"Danger to manifold"
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #20
Sigma 3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few things

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't seen that guys progress. That is impressive. He is so much further along than me that it makes me not want to continue. Why do what someone else has already done?
You sir are correct! Why did people make cars after Henry Ford?
      02-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
MrHeavyFoot
Private
Rep
Drives: Stock E90

Quote:
Well, I really hope you do and share or sell the solution - it's the next mod I really want in my car. That guy is doing neither as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

FWIW, I had a wireless app running on WM5 for a while. Doing the serial>wifi wasn't that hard with a commercially available module. I eventually got it running on the iPhone with the Rev app by reverse engineering the PLX Kiwi iMFD protocol, but honestly the performance just plain sucked. I have no idea what I'm doing in objective C or I would have made a native iPhone app...since I don't I pretty much gave up on the idea.

Here's a vid of it working on WM5: