E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > OSS custom

03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Dominus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 328i w/ XDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Well here goes the start of my OSS experience. I've been in contact with Luis for over a year now (waiting on funds) and with this last tax return i finally pulled the trigger. As most say, contacting him is rough but as long as you send a few emails, he will get back to you within a few days (he is human). Since i live in PA and dont have much time to drive out and see him, we arranged to send mine to him in exchange for a "rental" set while he works on them. they arrived shortly after payment and were just installed yesterday.

Pricing:
V4 Angels + install $599.00
BMW Jet black blackout on eyebrow and trim $100.00
White LED sidemarker $50.00
Shipping: $80.00 includes the core and your sets return ship

DEPO Deposit for CORE set $400.00. Refunded once we receive the set back
1: OSSdesigns work: $829.00
2: 100% Refundable DEPO deposit $400.00

Plus a clear projector lens Luis is going to attempt to install. $40

Ordered Feb 28
Rentals arrive March 13
Rentals installed March 17
Luis recieves lights March 21
- Luis seems ill though so we have a delay
Lights Finished April 15
Installed April 22
- After a fight with FedEx to finally get them dropped off

the rental set seem to be a pair of these http://www.protuninglab.com/20bmwe903323.html??

And i dispise the look. all that chrome is gross, the high beams dont work(correction, my adaptive headlight function causes the highbeam to blink with the turn signal when the lights are on), the halogen projectors are junk and well you get what you pay for. I also have an adaptive headlight error constantly that i might code out depending on how long turn around might be with luis (i hear its pretty quick though).

so what you've been waiting Pictures
first the Rentals

yes the car is dirty but outside it is freezing rain.

Luis Just sent pics of the finished product
V4 angel eyes - Jet black housing and eyebrow - reinforced AHL - White Led running light - clear lense + colormod - and the first LCI Quad Projectors!

FedEx arrives

And they are finally IN

Projector Light output

still trying to aim them properly any hints?

Also need to figure out Coding to get the new Projection turning lens to light up when I want them to and use them as demon eyes!

Last edited by Dominus; 04-25-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Wide Load

Luis is a good guy just extremely busy. Nice to see he has those rentals to give out now.

You need to do something about those wheels and that height though dude
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Dominus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
check the sig, i have wheels and im lowered on hr sport, this is just my winter set.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Should look good but you need some wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

I don't see what's wrong with his wheels...

Also, given how very expensive OSS angels are, you'd really think they could at least send out a better quality set of loaners. Shouldn't have to deal with errors getting logged and crappy nighttime visibility.
      03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
I don't see what's wrong with his wheels...

Also, given how very expensive OSS angels are, you'd really think they could at least send out a better quality set of loaners. Shouldn't have to deal with errors getting logged and crappy nighttime visibility.
You will be using the lights a week probably max so no big deal to have a error on your dash. Lol. People are so prissy now adays
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Dominus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
You will be using the lights a week probably max so no big deal to have a error on your dash. Lol. People are so prissy now adays
thats how i figure. its just nice to have a set so i can send mine out.

'09 E90 328i Xdrive LCI - Jet Black - Ebay Splitters - HR sport springs - VMR 718 18s 8.5et35 square - BFGoodrich KDW2 245/40/18 - DD CSL Trunk - 6000k 55w fogs - JL 12W3 IB- OSS quad projector
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Moony
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / F32 435i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
Luis is a great guy! he really does whatever he can to satisfy his customers while providing excellent work. You won't be disappointed with your headlights
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some people don't want an error having been logged in their system, especially if they're under warranty. The major issue is that the headlights supposedly suck, which could be an issue for night driving. It's not a matter of being prissy, it's a matter of expecting premium service when you're paying premium prices for what is supposedly a premium product.
      03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
Dominus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Well in no way to i feel that this reflects upon OSS service. if he wanted to give a nice reliable set, he would simply complete my order with them and just trade me. these are cheapo ones that he bought so that i can get OSS without losing my daily driver. they are being provided at a security deposit cost. therefore i am not paying much premium for anything seeing how it is refundable.

'09 E90 328i Xdrive LCI - Jet Black - Ebay Splitters - HR sport springs - VMR 718 18s 8.5et35 square - BFGoodrich KDW2 245/40/18 - DD CSL Trunk - 6000k 55w fogs - JL 12W3 IB- OSS quad projector
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Awesome...post up once they are installed. I bought two used headlights b/c I was going to send my lights in, but decided to do it myself. Maybe I'll sell the used set to Luis
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Some people don't want an error having been logged in their system, especially if they're under warranty. The major issue is that the headlights supposedly suck, which could be an issue for night driving. It's not a matter of being prissy, it's a matter of expecting premium service when you're paying premium prices for what is supposedly a premium product.
Sounds awful PRISSY to me. Must be a Patriots Fan, that would explain it!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
Nah, I don't follow football, so all the Welker-related whining is rather amusing.

I just think that given the very premium price ($600+ for what is at most $50 in parts), the service should match. Much like how if any of us have to leave our car at a dealership, we expect another BMW as a loaner, not a Civic.
      03-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Nah, I don't follow football, so all the Welker-related whining is rather amusing.

I just think that given the very premium price ($600+ for what is at most $50 in parts), the service should match. Much like how if any of us have to leave our car at a dealership, we expect another BMW as a loaner, not a Civic.
where can I find umnitza v2/v4 led rings for $50? not to mention time spent working on the lights and paint. quit talking out of your ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post

$50 in price. Do you know how much the new V4s actually are? Alot more then $50 dude. Lol. You don't have a clue what your talking about bud so I would shut it about now
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 4 5 T 4 M 4 N View Post
where can I find umnitza v2/v4 led rings for $50? not to mention time spent working on the lights and paint. quit talking out of your ass.
Assuming they source the rings from Umnitza's supplier, $50 is probably high. If they buy in bulk from Umnitza, probably more like $100. Even at five hours of labor, that would be $100 an hour for labor. So yeah, there's a humongous markup on these.
      03-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R 4 5 T 4 M 4 N View Post
Assuming they source the rings from Umnitza's supplier, $50 is probably high. If they buy in bulk from Umnitza, probably more like $100. Even at five hours of labor, that would be $100 an hour for labor. So yeah, there's a humongous markup on these.
They sell for around $300. I do alot of wholesale with my company and your figures are very unrealistic
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Quote:
You sir, just told the public you are a complete moron.

Now stop posting because we don't care.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #19
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
You sir, just told the public you are a complete moron.

Now stop posting because we don't care.
What do you think those things actually cost to manufacture? They're no marvel of engineering. What you're getting is two acrylic rings with 120 LEDs per ring in the case of Orion v4s. The LEDs are then wired to a driver with all of a quarter's worth of wire and maybe a twenty cent power connector.

SMD LED at $0.08/pc * 120 LEDs per ring * 2 rings = $19.20
10W driver at $7.40/pc * 1 driver per ring * 2 rings = $14.80
Wire at $0.25 * 2 rings = $0.50
Power connectors at $0.20 * 2 rings = $0.40

So we're at $35.00 for parts for a pair of rings, and that's not even with bulk pricing which will knock those prices down. Now, if the plant assembling the rings is also manufacturing the LEDs and drivers, cut those prices down drastically.

And, as you're likely aware and anyone who has done business in Shenzhen/Hong Kong will tell you, there's no shortage of sources to provide you with these components or to assemble the completed product.

So, assuming OSS goes right to the supplier rather than to Umnitza, it's entirely possible they're getting the products for $50 or less. Even if they are going through Umnitza, I imagine they have a business arrangement set up with Umnitza and they get a sizable bulk discount, especially since Umnitza has plenty of wiggle room for profit padding in their retail prices.

In the future, I'd suggest actually taking a moment to do some research or perhaps even formulating some sort of argument to back your childish name-calling.

Quote:
$50 in price. Do you know how much the new V4s actually are? Alot more then $50 dude. Lol. You don't have a clue what your talking about bud so I would shut it about now
I'm aware of what Umnitza charges for them, but I'm also aware of the absolutely colossal markup on them. Also, when telling people to "shut it" and informing them that they don't know what they're talking about, it helps to do so with grammar and spelling at least an eighth grade level.
      03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Umnitza is the sole US supplier. They sell wholesale to vendors who then sell to the public. What makes you think that Umnitza would sell them at the factory price? There is a markup to Umnitza, which then marks up to OSS.

All the vendors that sell these go through Umnitza. Why dont you create your own LED's if they are so easy and cheap to make? Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomz_M3 View Post
Umnitza is the sole US supplier. They sell wholesale to vendors who then sell to the public. What makes you think that Umnitza would sell them at the factory price? There is a markup to Umnitza, which then marks up to OSS.

All the vendors that sell these go through Umnitza. Why dont you create your own LED's if they are so easy and cheap to make? Lol
I'm not saying Umnitza would sell at factory price, I gave a ballpark of $100 which would allow them to still have a healthy amount of profit. The lower factory price would be if OSS skips Umnitza and purchases right from Umnitza's supplier/manufacturer in China.

Also, I'm more than willing to bet that Umnitza is not the manufacturer of these rings. At most, they drafted a design (it's plastic and some LEDs wired to a driver) and gave them to a factory in China. Though it's entirely likely that they just rebrand an existing product in China and occasionally submit input to the manufacturer since they're a bulk purchaser.

As for making my own and selling them, I simply don't have the time or capital to do so. I could certainly make a set for myself, however. And there are people on the boards here who have already done just that. blueaudi and fdriller to name a few. Ask them - it's not terribly complex and doesn't take a genius to do, it's just a pain to solder by hand as opposed to having them mass produced.
      03-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Fdriller is a friend (and banned). He charges a huge amount of money because of the complexity involved and the time it takes to make a set. More than what Umnitza charges.
Appreciate 0