E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Euro Headlight switch assy - Use rear fog for meth?

02-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Euro Headlight switch assy - Use rear fog for meth?

I was grabbing some maintenance parts, and ECS pops this up:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/61319169404/

I thought, "Gosh, Alex, you don't have rear fogs and you don't want them because (the stars at night are big and bright deep in the hearrrrrt of) TEXAS. I wonder if you could use that rear fog button for something else, like meth or squeeze or oil slicks or fender-mounted paintball guns?"

I see on the back that it connects to a harness; does anyone have a pinout for that harness or know where to get it? Can it be controlled via the DME?

Or is all this just a waste of time?
      02-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
Trelos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 white 335xi & 89 white 325i

You don't need an expensive switch, with som mods your current switch will push the button to activate rear fogs. Wether or not you use it for that is up to you. Search Lego mod

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

What exactly are you trying to do?

The DME will not control that circuit. The headlight switch sends inputs back to the JBE/FRM. From the FRM, you'd have a voltage output to the rear fogs. You can manipulate that voltage to whatever you want by changing the PWM duty cycle but it can only be activated via that button or triggered via brake force display.

If you're trying to use it as a controller for the meth spray, then it won't work unless you use a microprocessor to monitor the injector pulse and a CAN device to inject a message into the CAN bus to activate the rear fog circuit. You can use an arduino and CAN shield.

You'd also have to disable brake force display so it does no trigger during hard braking.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelos View Post
You don't need an expensive switch, with som mods your current switch will push the button to activate rear fogs. Wether or not you use it for that is up to you. Search Lego mod
I know I don't need an expensive switch, I just thought it would look cool. Good to know about the Lego mod - thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
What exactly are you trying to do?

The DME will not control that circuit. The headlight switch sends inputs back to the JBE/FRM. From the FRM, you'd have a voltage output to the rear fogs. You can manipulate that voltage to whatever you want by changing the PWM duty cycle but it can only be activated via that button or triggered via brake force display.

If you're trying to use it as a controller for the meth spray, then it won't work unless you use a microprocessor to monitor the injector pulse and a CAN device to inject a message into the CAN bus to activate the rear fog circuit. You can use an arduino and CAN shield.

You'd also have to disable brake force display so it does no trigger during hard braking.
Interesting. I don't suppose that the signal can be intercepted prior to the FRM? Just used as a 12V trigger?

I'm not trying to do anything in particular. It's just the way my mind works - I saw a neat looking switch and thought it would be cool to use it to switch something on that wasn't what it said it was.

*shrug* No biggie. Thanks for the interesting info!