E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Official DIY HALOGEN to XENON Conversion!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #111
E90_gerambe
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: Bmw 328i 2008 e90
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Phx az

iTrader: (0)

Internal wiring

Has anyone done the internal wiring need some help or to the harness would appreciate it pm me
__________________
E90_gerambe
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #112
Jerre03
New Member
Jerre03's Avatar
Belgium
6
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d E90 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BelgiŽ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_gerambe View Post
Has anyone done the internal wiring need some help or to the harness would appreciate it pm me
Still need help?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #113
yeukfung
New Member
4
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i E90 2005 N52
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlocked View Post
Is there a DIY to go from Xenon to Halogen?

Need a set of headlights for an E90 335xi it originally comes with HID Xenon headlights but I want to replace it with aftermarket eBay halogen headlights. It's a daily so I don't care about aftermarket or how it'll look as long as it works.

For some reason the eBay aftermarket headlights which are halogen state it won't work with HID factory equipped vehicles? Is it just a wiring issue or is the actual headlight different?

What would I have to do to make those eBay headlights work with the car?
You will need to do coding, remove the $522 in VO, save it, and perform default coding the FRM module should work with normal halogen head-light.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #114
yeukfung
New Member
4
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i E90 2005 N52
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
I know within the next couple of weeks a handful of peeps are going to be recieving some euro xenons and we got info all over the place so I thought wed bring the Main important stuff to one thread!
This conversion will give u an error for 5 sec if the car is started and the light switch is in the OFF position.
YOu will get NO error if you start the car with the light switch in the ON position!


HALOGEN TO XENON


1. REmove front bumper by following this DIY:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...bumper+removal


2. remove headlights from a couple screws as noted in pic#3 by evos4!


3. replace headlights with euro xenons like the ones shown in pics 1&2


4. Install front bumper the reverse way you removed it!

5. Electrical wiring needs to be modified! as noted in pic#8(courtesy of 96vette)
If you do not do the mod only the angel eyes and high beams will work!
First we need to add a Ground to the chassis! this is connected to hole #2 on the plug. The best ground is the one noted in pic#4 (green wire running up the black wiring harness bolted to the silver NUT that holds the ground box!


6. Splicing the high beam wire to add the bixenon shutter wire!
First cut the high beam wire#6 in half! add a but splice at the end of the wire coming from the car and crimp it in place..Then take an ADDED wire and twist it together at the end so u can put it in the butt splice together and crimp! Now u should have two wires coming out of the one connection as shown in pic#5


7. now to put these extra 2 wires in the plug is a bit of a trick! u will see on the outside of the plug itself a piece that holds the pins in the plug! Remove this piece the one shown in pic#6 and use it to hold the bare wire in the plug once uve pushed it in!
Use electrical tape and wrap it around the wire until u have a wide enough circle to fill the hole to prevent any moisture getting in there as shown in pic#7


8. wrap your connection with electrical tape and make it look OEM as possible and plug em in! Go turn them XENONS ON!!!



THis is done at your own risk I do not assume responsiblity for anyones car! If you do not feel confident in wiring I would suggest handing this DIY to a mechanic so that he can do it for U!

Thanks for the valuable info and reference on this project, I have also successfully installed a XENON pre-LCI headlight for my friend, with a little bit of enhancement to your case:

1) the existing manual aim control switch can use, please refer to below link, sorry for speaking cantonese, i am from HK :-)




2) wiring of the module, comparing the halogen and xenon, it's found that wiring is bit different, in halogen connector, it does not have pin 2 and pin 5 as compare to xenon connector

HALOGEN
Name:  e90-halogen-wiring.png
Views: 10967
Size:  124.4 KB

XENON
Name:  e90-xenon-wiring.png
Views: 11662
Size:  129.7 KB


and comparing the servo motor wiring diagram, we found that the wiring to control the servo motor is in same pinout, just the auto aiming level module has 6 connections to FRM module, 3 from front and 3 from back.

HALOGEN MANUAL AIM CONTROL WIRING
Name:  e90-halogen-aim-control.png
Views: 7558
Size:  100.2 KB

XENON AIM CONTROL WIRING
Name:  e90-xenon-aim-control-auto.png
Views: 6759
Size:  100.5 KB

so, to make the conversion looks stock, i have pulled a wire from FRM module and connect to X14260 pin 41 and Y join to pin 5 of both headlight connector, it is a BIXENON SIGNAL Wire.... which i have no idea what does it do, maybe it control the brightness of XENON? as i found there is a DRL option in FRMFA, and there is an option to set brightness of xenon headlight for DRL...



another wire is pin 2 ground wire, using 2.5mm^2 ground cable to connect to both grounding point in the left and right of the car. (personally, i do not suggest to tap the ground to pin 4 as thread #2 discussed, as 2.5mm^2 wire is actually means they may draw quite a lot of current, if simply taping to pin 4 may overload the pin 4 ground wire, that would potentially increase the case of melting the connection due to high heat...)

some pictures for the things i do, just simple wiring, but i try to use stock cable clip to make it more stock and avoid drilling.
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 11.07.30 PM.png
Views: 6224
Size:  980.4 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 11.07.35 PM.png
Views: 6246
Size:  871.2 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 11.07.47 PM.png
Views: 7378
Size:  341.6 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 11.07.52 PM.png
Views: 6139
Size:  544.4 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 11.07.59 PM.png
Views: 6029
Size:  511.7 KB



3) coding, since upgrading from halogen to xenon, ppl said it will need to change FRM module, while I have cross checked the module parts number in realoem, the parts number with/without xenon light is the SAME, so the only different would be the software inside or actually only the coding parameter.

then I added $522 (Xenon light) option to VO, FA_WRITE to CAS and FRM, code both CAS and FRM to default.

4) the manual aiming control does not move the headlight, while I found there is 2 key to switch back to using manual aiming control option:
change both to nicht_aktiv, and code with coding profile will do the trick.

DYNAM_LWR_ENABLE
nicht_aktiv

AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
nicht_aktiv


5) fixed, and the headlight should move up and down with manual aiming switch bundled with halogen headlight!!!


hope this supplementary info will help someone who are working on this project.

Last edited by yeukfung; 07-26-2018 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #115
Jerre03
New Member
Jerre03's Avatar
Belgium
6
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d E90 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BelgiŽ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeukfung View Post

so, to make the conversion looks stock, i have pulled a wire from FRM module and connect to X14260 pin 41 and Y join to pin 5 of both headlight connector, it is a BIXENON SIGNAL Wire.... which i have no idea what does it do, maybe it control the brightness of XENON? as i found there is a DRL option in FRMFA, and there is an option to set brightness of xenon headlight for DRL...
It controls a solenoid to lower the shutter so the whole lens is full of light what makes the high beam.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #116
yeukfung
New Member
4
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i E90 2005 N52
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerre03 View Post
It controls a solenoid to lower the shutter so the whole lens is full of light what makes the high beam.
wow, thanks for the answer, it's been long scratching my head guessing what the wire actually do..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #117
El Gringo
Private
7
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: florida

iTrader: (1)

I followed all your directions and I cannot get mines to work. I have a 2007 328I with halogen headlights and Iím putting in 2010 335i LCI adaptive xenůn.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #118
Jerre03
New Member
Jerre03's Avatar
Belgium
6
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: BMW 320d E90 LCI
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BelgiŽ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
I followed all your directions and I cannot get mines to work. I have a 2007 328I with halogen headlights and I’m putting in 2010 335i LCI adaptive xenón.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
I followed all your directions and I cannot get mines to work. I have a 2007 328I with halogen headlights and I'm putting in 2010 335i LCI adaptive xenón.
Can you post a pic of the headlight connector? Want to see what cables you changed or added.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #119
kenuel80
New Member
1
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi Sonora Metallic
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fort Washington, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328Xi  [0.00]
I'm planning to buy a used complete assembly adaptive headlights (sensor, ballast, bulbs). My question: If I install them, are they going to be adaptive? Lol, does my e90 have the wiring needed for the install to be adaptive? Do I need to update computer?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #120
Delta0311
Banned
7478
Rep
10,120
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenuel80 View Post
I'm planning to buy a used complete assembly adaptive headlights (sensor, ballast, bulbs). My question: If I install them, are they going to be adaptive? Lol, does my e90 have the wiring needed for the install to be adaptive? Do I need to update computer?
Short answer no you will need a new footwell module I believe. Back in the day I had a 07 328 and did the full conversion but no the headlights were no adaptive and I had to use after market ballasts that worked with the higher wattage.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #121
NorthernCloud
Registered
United_States
2
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2012 e92 335 xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Hi all,

There is so much great info on this forum. I'm glad to see it is still alive. I have a very strange question. My 06 e91 had halogens and I swapped them for xenons I sourced from an 08 335. Headlights worked great for 2 months but recently have been going out intermittently. I noticed in trouble shooting that initially I'm getting 12.3 volts to the headlight connector (I believe it needs 12), but almost instantly the voltage starts to fall off and behave sort of erratically around 10.5v. I think this is why the headlights are on and then eventually flicker off after getting significantly dimmer. The last few days I have made a more recent discovery. I get an inspection light while driving (the one that looks like the car is on a lift) and the headlights instantly get brighter, turn on if they had failed, and recieve a steady 12.3v, after which they dont fail until the car is restarted and the inspection light is gone. Anybody have a clue what is up with my car? Lol
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #122
davedakid
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: Bmw e90 328xi Alpine white
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: MONTREAL514

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328XI  [10.00]
2008 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
I need help yall

Okay so i got a bmw 328xi and it has halogens...i want to put on the OEM xenons....how !!!!!!! i neeeeeeeeed to change these. yes the halogens are factory surprising...#MONTREAL #514
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 06:32 AM   #123
ibutd01
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: Bmw e90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Malta

iTrader: (0)

Hi all. I just want to wake up the thread. Got an e90 lci 2009 model came with halogen lights.
Got myself a set of e90 lci bi xenon lights non adaptive.
When plugged in on the angel eyes worked. Any where abouts what can i do? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #124
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
240
Posts

Drives: 2011 323i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerre03 View Post
Still need help?
I still do....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #125
Kashil10
Registered
Mauritius
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mauritius

iTrader: (0)

Flickering

Hello mate,

Thank you very much for your help. I did the wiring process but after 15 seconds, my angel eyes switched off and the led started to flicker. HELP Please!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #126
Kashil10
Registered
Mauritius
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mauritius

iTrader: (0)

Mate you got an answer?

I have the same issue
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #127
mharyoh0823
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i N52
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

this is what i have been looking for. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #128
tdvt
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Thanks! It really helped
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:35 PM   #129
nmccord30
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 328i 07
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have latest directions for updating new 2007 328i halogen to the LCI bi-xenon I have a set of lights just need help on how getting them to work also have an updated frm module
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #130
lowrydr310
Robot
1674
Rep
2,182
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Souhtrne Califniora

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccord30 View Post
Anyone have latest directions for updating new 2007 328i halogen to the LCI bi-xenon I have a set of lights just need help on how getting them to work also have an updated frm module
You just need to read the threads, there are a ton of resources. Unfortunately there is no one single solution because it depends on what FRM you have, what lights you have, and how you want it to work. I recently did this and installed LCI adaptive xenons on a halogen equipped 325i, and wanted it to behave exactly as the OEM lights do (except without the amber running/parking lights).

What updated FRM module do you have?

Most of the conversions say to splice the high beam wire (for inner lights that were previously high beams on the halogen headlights) to the xenon shutter trigger wire. While this works, it's not the OEM behavior, and may not be good for LCI xenon lights (I'll explain below). Original behavior of the pre-LCI xenon lights is that the inner beam flashes when you pull the high beam stalk, and the xenon shutter lowers when you push the stalk to leave high beams on. I have a 330i (pre-LCI) with factory xenon lights and this is exactly how it behaves.

The first thing you need to do is add the ground wire to your headlight harness. I sourced these wires from a junkyard car, removing the pin from the headlight connector. It's a brown wire about 2 feet in length that you snap into the headlight connector, and the other end connects to the black comb-looking ground connector in the inner fender just behind the headlights. On your passenger side, the ground lug for jump starting is connected to this black ground box.

On a halogen equipped car, to get OEM xenon behavior you need to run a wire from a single pin on the FRM connector to both headlight connectors. I sourced the specific and correctly color coded wires from the headlight connectors and the FRM connector leaving about a foot of wire, then soldered generic wire to the other end (had to run through the firewall grommet).

You also need a FRM that supports xenon lights. I pulled one from a junk yard car, it's labeled FRMFA E9X-E8xCA-AHL, but I believe any FRM/FRMFA/FRM2 from a Xenon equipped car would work. I didn't know I needed this and tried to recode my car's FRM but it doesn't work and doesn't support the xenon shutter trigger wire that I added. I installed the replacement FRM and coded it and it worked fine.

Up to this point everything I did would be 100% OEM behavior had I used pre-LCI xenon lights (except for the auto leveling since I didn't add the sensors). Since I used LCI headlights there were a few minor differences. First, the LCI uses LED turn signals, and a separate LED for the amber side marker. The FRM3 in the LCI cars can control these separately, but previous FRM versions cannot. The default pre-LCI setting leaves the amber sidemarker lights on as parking lights or on all the time with headlights. Because the LEDs are so bright, I didn't want to leave them on all the time so I coded this out in the FRM by setting SIDEMARKER_US to nicht_aktiv. If you want the amber sidemarker lights and dont have FRM3, your best bet is to probably wire the small sidemarker LED internally within the headlight housing and splice it to the halo ring/angel eye power wire so they're on at the same time.

The other issue with the LCI lights is that at least the ones I have (adaptive) the inner lights are cornering lights and NOT high beams or flash to pass. My understanding is that the LCI xenons are activated for both flash to pass or regular high beams. The inner lights on the LCI xenon headlights are not meant to be left on for any extended amount of time (such as long drives at night with high beams) and this is why I wanted to replicate the OEM pre-LCI xenon behavior and add the separate shutter wire, so that I can have xenon shutter high beams and just quickly flash the inner lights as the flash to pass feature.
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #131
nmccord30
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 328i 07
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
You just need to read the threads, there are a ton of resources. Unfortunately there is no one single solution because it depends on what FRM you have, what lights you have, and how you want it to work. I recently did this and installed LCI adaptive xenons on a halogen equipped 325i, and wanted it to behave exactly as the OEM lights do (except without the amber running/parking lights).

What updated FRM module do you have?

Most of the conversions say to splice the high beam wire (for inner lights that were previously high beams on the halogen headlights) to the xenon shutter trigger wire. While this works, it's not the OEM behavior, and may not be good for LCI xenon lights (I'll explain below). Original behavior of the pre-LCI xenon lights is that the inner beam flashes when you pull the high beam stalk, and the xenon shutter lowers when you push the stalk to leave high beams on. I have a 330i (pre-LCI) with factory xenon lights and this is exactly how it behaves.

The first thing you need to do is add the ground wire to your headlight harness. I sourced these wires from a junkyard car, removing the pin from the headlight connector. It's a brown wire about 2 feet in length that you snap into the headlight connector, and the other end connects to the black comb-looking ground connector in the inner fender just behind the headlights. On your passenger side, the ground lug for jump starting is connected to this black ground box.

On a halogen equipped car, to get OEM xenon behavior you need to run a wire from a single pin on the FRM connector to both headlight connectors. I sourced the specific and correctly color coded wires from the headlight connectors and the FRM connector leaving about a foot of wire, then soldered generic wire to the other end (had to run through the firewall grommet).

You also need a FRM that supports xenon lights. I pulled one from a junk yard car, it's labeled FRMFA E9X-E8xCA-AHL, but I believe any FRM/FRMFA/FRM2 from a Xenon equipped car would work. I didn't know I needed this and tried to recode my car's FRM but it doesn't work and doesn't support the xenon shutter trigger wire that I added. I installed the replacement FRM and coded it and it worked fine.

Up to this point everything I did would be 100% OEM behavior had I used pre-LCI xenon lights (except for the auto leveling since I didn't add the sensors). Since I used LCI headlights there were a few minor differences. First, the LCI uses LED turn signals, and a separate LED for the amber side marker. The FRM3 in the LCI cars can control these separately, but previous FRM versions cannot. The default pre-LCI setting leaves the amber sidemarker lights on as parking lights or on all the time with headlights. Because the LEDs are so bright, I didn't want to leave them on all the time so I coded this out in the FRM by setting SIDEMARKER_US to nicht_aktiv. If you want the amber sidemarker lights and dont have FRM3, your best bet is to probably wire the small sidemarker LED internally within the headlight housing and splice it to the halo ring/angel eye power wire so they're on at the same time.

The other issue with the LCI lights is that at least the ones I have (adaptive) the inner lights are cornering lights and NOT high beams or flash to pass. My understanding is that the LCI xenons are activated for both flash to pass or regular high beams. The inner lights on the LCI xenon headlights are not meant to be left on for any extended amount of time (such as long drives at night with high beams) and this is why I wanted to replicate the OEM pre-LCI xenon behavior and add the separate shutter wire, so that I can have xenon shutter high beams and just quickly flash the inner lights as the flash to pass feature.
Sent you an email asking for details I already have the frm replacement in the car and have the headlights just not installed
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #132
Alex19
Registered
Alex19's Avatar
Hungary
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW E91 2005
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Hungary

iTrader: (0)

Hi! I have an (pre lci) e91 from 2005 with halogens without the DRL's (I mean the Angel eyes) My question is that, if I upgrade to pre lci Xenon headlights (not the bi- xenons), and I want to do it correctly without any errors or mistakes, is it good to follow the description on the first page?

(I want to work the headlights properly,for example the angel eyes, the low- and high beams without any errors. I hope you guys understand what i want.. :-D I dont't want flickering ecc, and I want to see at night because I don't want to kiss a tree or something :-D )

Have A BEAUTIFUL NEW YEAR!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST