E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > New To this! What is all needed to run E85?

01-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #1
Meeegaaa_TRON
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive

New To this! What is all needed to run E85?

Hi guys, I am new to this site and honestly new to BMW's. Always been a American muscle guy (mustangs, corvette's etc) and still own a C6. But a year ago my brother picked up a '10 335D and I feel in love with it. I recently purchased an '11 335i Xdrive and it had several mods done to it. Car has a fmic, cobb exhaust, cobb charge pipe, down pipe, intake, mhd tune along with new coils, plugs, water pump etc.

I know that there is a stage tune in the MHD that can run E85 or at least a percentage of it but not sure what I all need to run it...Different fuel pump? Plugs? Gas tank? Any help with this would be great. Thank you for having me!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeegaaa_TRON View Post
Hi guys, I am new to this site and honestly new to BMW's. Always been a American muscle guy (mustangs, corvette's etc) and still own a C6. But a year ago my brother picked up a '10 335D and I feel in love with it. I recently purchased an '11 335i Xdrive and it had several mods done to it. Car has a fmic, cobb exhaust, cobb charge pipe, down pipe, intake, mhd tune along with new coils, plugs, water pump etc.

I know that there is a stage tune in the MHD that can run E85 or at least a percentage of it but not sure what I all need to run it...Different fuel pump? Plugs? Gas tank? Any help with this would be great. Thank you for having me!
Hi and welcome! Hope you are doing good.

I'm not the biggest expert when it comes to different fueling on this platform and I am sure people with a lot more knowledge will jump into this in no time, but I do know that in order to have a sustainable flow of E85 (which requires a higher debit in order to generate the same energy at combustion when compared to iso-octane) you would want to upgrade your low pressure fuel pump, since no upgrades on our platform are available for the high pressure fuel pump.

I would also recommend MHD datalogger, JB4 datalogger or any type of way to log your car and monitor the way it is behaving.
      01-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

From what I've read anything over e30 mixes requires an upgraded LPFP. It seems as though the stock LPFP is capable of handling e30 as is, over that requires an upgrade. The HPFP seems to be the next hurdle once you go over e50-e60 and I've looked at a helix over drive for the HPFP once I eventually get around to messing with e85. I JUST tuned MHD stage 1+ a week ago. More experienced folks will surely chime in on this though. Some of them will probably suggest you search more! Lol. Everything I just regurgitated came from endless searches on this site along with exhaustive youtube searches. Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Pretty much what has been cover, pumps. Then you will have to tune for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Meeegaaa_TRON
Rep

Ok that's what I figured is one of the fuel pumps. I'm in no hurry to do this, I was just trying to get more information on it. I am loving this car so far and I think this thing will give my C6 a run for its money, especially from a dig lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #6
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok that's what I figured is one of the fuel pumps. I'm in no hurry to do this, I was just trying to get more information on it. I am loving this car so far and I think this thing will give my C6 a run for its money, especially from a dig lol
There is a lot to do on this platform depending on your objectives and also a lot of support which makes it great.

I don't know if you had a look at xDelete but it disables the transfer case of the drivetrain and leave you with a pure RWD vehicle. If you miss the RWD feel of the vette you can still pull it off

I can't stress enough though how important it is to have a logging method in order to keep track on the behaviour of the car since these tend to always have something that will require maintenance.
      01-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Meeegaaa_TRON
Rep

what do you use for a logging method? I am still learning on what to all use for not only tuning but data logging. I know I can use MHD on my phone, but what would I use to log on? Will the MHD have a program for it that I can run on my phone? Thanks for the help! Honestly I am not trying to get to crazy as this is going to be my daily driver so I love the AWD especially since I live in Wisconsin lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
Meeegaaa_TRON
Rep

I will say I can already tell these cars can have issues especially after a tune. I once in a while mainly when its cold when I start the car it will say loss of power (my guess limp mode) but doesn't run bad at all. I just turn the car off and turn it back on and it goes away. So not sure if that's because of the tune or what but definitely trying to research more about MHD tunes and everything else.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #9
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

MHD will handle the logging if you purchase(d) the prerequisite software package. It sounds like you purchased the car with MHD, right? So you don't have access to any of the maps that the previous owner installed, correct? Something I'm unsure of is how that particular scenario works. I'm assuming your going to need to purchase MHD on your own so that you can adjust your car. If that's the case I'd tell you that the Super License seems to be well worth the cost of entry as it comes with pretty much EVERYTHING you need.

Side note....I purchased my e93 in lieu of buying a C6 convertible. I wanted a "summer fun" car and the C6 has been on my list since I was a kid. Never considered the 335i previously. Drove several and I just couldn't do it. If I pull up to a C6 at a light I can't even take them seriously.....no competition what so ever! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #10
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
what do you use for a logging method? I am still learning on what to all use for not only tuning but data logging. I know I can use MHD on my phone, but what would I use to log on? Will the MHD have a program for it that I can run on my phone? Thanks for the help! Honestly I am not trying to get to crazy as this is going to be my daily driver so I love the AWD especially since I live in Wisconsin lol
Yeah I completly feel you on that. Nothing better than AWD in canadian igloo land but always nice to have fun in summer!

So with the MHD data logger, the way it works is that it records all of the parameters you have selected to log in a CSV file. You could then choose which ever graphing method you prefer but the majority of us simply upload our CSV file to https://datazap.me/ and it automatically generates the graphs with a GUI to select which parameter you want to display.

Looks like this:

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...og=0&data=4-21
      01-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #11
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Upgraded LPFP (stage 2 will net you about 550whp on an ethanol blend) or stage 3 for anything higher in power.

After about 550whp you'll need either the helix kit also, or port injection
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #12
jlegelis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 N55 MT MSport

I'd suggest starting with an E30 blend (about 5.5 gallons of E85 in the tank) assuming pump 93 is already 10% ethanol, plus an E30 tune which is already available from MHD for N55. Most stock pumps should be able to handle that setup if they are in good shape.

Also as someone suggested definitely use MHD to monitor fuel rail pressure to see if you are having issues which will show up during a hard pull.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
Meeegaaa_TRON
Rep

thanks guys for the help!
Appreciate 0