E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need help after changing spark plugs

02-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Xdrive (E92)

Need help after changing spark plugs

Hi all,

Just DIY changed my spark plugs for the first time. I was getting a rough idle beforehand and thought this would fix it, but I may have screwed something up. I just got a pretty hard misfire after finishing the process, so I connected to Carly and got these two errors:

Air mass meter, signal: electrical fault
Code: 00277A

Intake air temperature, electrical: short circuit to positive
Code: 0029D0

This is on an E92 N55. Any help would be really appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
Hi all,

Just DIY changed my spark plugs for the first time. I was getting a rough idle beforehand and thought this would fix it, but I may have screwed something up. I just got a pretty hard misfire after finishing the process, so I connected to Carly and got these two errors:

I don't have my manual handy, but at least your second code looks to be missmatched to the description comparing to a quick google.

Looks like 0029D0 is misfire on cylinder 4
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
I don't have my manual handy, but at least your second code looks to be missmatched to the description comparing to a quick google.

Looks like 0029D0 is misfire on cylinder 4
Does this mean I messed up the install on cylinder 4? BTW, I did notice some build up in the cylinders when I was changing out the plugs.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Does this mean I messed up the install on cylinder 4? BTW, I did notice some build up in the cylinders when I was changing out the plugs.
What is the other code? I can't find 00277A, could it be a typo?

Did you look at the plugs when you pulled them out? Based on the color and smell, you can normally tell what's wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
What is the other code? I can't find 00277A, could it be a typo?

Did you look at the plugs when you pulled them out? Based on the color and smell, you can normally tell what's wrong.
Yeah I still have the old plugs, they look covered in carbon I guess. And the other code isn't a typo, that's the reading Carly is giving me
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Make sure that your electrical connector is fully plugged into the coil. Don't rely on just the lever mechanism on the coil head to push the electrical connector fully in. Push on the back of the connector while closing the lever to insure it is fully seated.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Make sure that your electrical connector is fully plugged into the coil. Don't rely on just the lever mechanism on the coil head to push the electrical connector fully in. Push on the back of the connector while closing the lever to insure it is fully seated.
Thanks, I was thinking this might be the issue. I'm going to order another spark plug just in case I messed up the one in cylinder 4. The process of getting to the plugs took so long for a noob like myself, I don't want to tear everything apart more than 1 time (already upset with myself that I've gotta do it again).

While I was at it, I was going to buy come MAF cleaner. I changed my oil at the same time, and I think I read somewhere that the filter can get oil onto the MAF somehow?

BTW: I didn't clean out any of the carbon (I think it was carbon, definitely not oil) that I found in the cylinders. Should I have cleaned this out while changing plugs, or is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks, I was thinking this might be the issue. I'm going to order another spark plug just in case I messed up the one in cylinder 4. The process of getting to the plugs took so long for a noob like myself, I don't want to tear everything apart more than 1 time (already upset with myself that I've gotta do it again).

While I was at it, I was going to buy come MAF cleaner. I changed my oil at the same time, and I think I read somewhere that the filter can get oil onto the MAF somehow?

BTW: I didn't clean out any of the carbon (I think it was carbon, definitely not oil) that I found in the cylinders. Should I have cleaned this out while changing plugs, or is this normal?
The N55 and earlier N54 engines in the 335i do not have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. The N54 N55 have a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. These sensors aren't generally as sensitive to oil in the intake tract as hot wire MAF sensors. Regardless of what sensor you have, changing your engine oil would have absolutely no effect on it. If you have an oiled gauze air filter like a K&N, putting too much oil on the air filter has been reported to contaminate MAF sensors on other vehicles. But this has nothing to do with changing your engine oil.

The carbon inside your cylinders is most likely from oil that has burned up during combustion leaving behind the carbon deposits. The most common source of this oil on our engines is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system that dumps crankcase oil vapor into the intake ports. This is why people install oil catch cans (OCC) on the PCV system.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Also worth checking you didn't dislodge one of the electrical plugs to the injectors. I did that in error on cyl 6 when fitting new plugs and got a massive misfire!
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #10
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The N55 and earlier N54 engines in the 335i do not have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. The N54 N55 have a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. These sensors aren't generally as sensitive to oil in the intake tract as hot wire MAF sensors. Regardless of what sensor you have, changing your engine oil would have absolutely no effect on it. If you have an oiled gauze air filter like a K&N, putting too much oil on the air filter has been reported to contaminate MAF sensors on other vehicles. But this has nothing to do with changing your engine oil.

The carbon inside your cylinders is most likely from oil that has burned up during combustion leaving behind the carbon deposits. The most common source of this oil on our engines is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system that dumps crankcase oil vapor into the intake ports. This is why people install oil catch cans (OCC) on the PCV system.
Thanks for the info - I don't remember where I read that comment about oil from the filter housing getting onto the MAF sensor. I was wondering if an oil catch can would be worthwhile on my car, looks like I found the answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:

N55 does not have a MAF sensor ? what ? thats not true... ofcourse it does
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2020, 05:56 AM   #12
norulz
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 2010 DCT

help please !

Quote:
Hi all,

hey bro , sorry to bump up an old thread but did you manage to solve your problem ? i have exactly the same codes !
Appreciate 0