E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Whistling noise from n55 (vid)

01-23-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

I just got my car back from shop they found the coolant leak was a cracked radiator. The same
Shop replaced it 1.5 years ago (Baer) and was under warranty, but still had to pay labor.
The lack of heat was so fixed they flushed coil but said little debris came out and was most likely due to air pocket bc of cracked radiator

When I got it back the car now makes a whistling noise when running, I do have a leaking valve cover gasket too, has to go back for so not sure if this is the pcv valve going?

Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Wow, that is extremely high pitched. You can test the PCV valve by removing a covering nipple on it and holding tissue or a flame from a lighter next to that hole. If there is a vacuum and the tissue/flame is being pulled in the hole, you have a bad PCV. You can also open the oil fill cap when the engine is on and if the sound of the engine changes or there is suction while trying to lift the cap it would also indicate bad PCV.

I don`t think PCV valves cause such a high pitch noise, but worth a try!
Herakles247.50
      01-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #3
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I would go with pulley/tensioner probably got fluid in bearings from coolant. If the issue doesn't resolve when taking off oil cap, you can pull belt and run to verify pulleys.
Appreciate 1
Herakles247.50
      01-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #4
Bmmrr
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i lci

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
I had a high pitch whistle just like that when I did an ofhg replacement.

turns out that I managed to disconnect a tube that, I believe, ran to the back of the car for the exhaust valve.

mine had disconnected at the front of the shock mount.

you can identify the pipe and follow it to check, you will be able to find it easily by looking by the hood hinge on the right and it runs down along the side, in from to the shock mount, at this point there is a short piece of rubber tube connected at both ends, and around under the airbox..

the whistle was just the engine vacuum sucking air in through the small pipe.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #5
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmmrr View Post

turns out that I managed to disconnect a tube that, I believe, ran to the back of the car for the exhaust valve.

you can identify the pipe and follow it to check, you will be able to find it easily by looking by the hood hinge on the right and it runs down along the side, in from to the shock mount, at this point there is a short piece of rubber tube connected at both ends, and around under the airbox..

Thanks if you can snap a pic of what your talking about that would be great and what's a ofhg? The shop I had it for the working may of left it off. When I brought car home it had no power too think they had a charge or inlet loose and had boost leak. I brought it back they said they checked connections and didn't find anything but was fixed - not sure if they accidentally fixed it and didn't realize or didn't want to admit they had a pipe not couples right
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #6
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Can see here ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:

You the man! After shoveling out the snow I thought let me check .. and I found it! When I connected it seemed to collapse the tubing is that normal,? What is it ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:55 AM   #8
Bmmrr
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i lci

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
Quote:

You the man! After shoveling out the snow I thought let me check .. and I found it! When I connected it seemed to collapse the tubing is that normal,? What is it ?
Hi

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've not had any notifications.

So, it was that pipe than? glad I could help.

As I say, I'm not sure what it was, but like yours mine collapsed when I reconnected it and the whistle stopped.
I tried to follow it but without stripping some parts off I could not get to either end so just left it and assumed it was the vacuum pipe that ran to the exhaust flap.
When I reconnected mine it was quite loose so I put a small cable tie in each end to ensure it wouldn't come apart again.

The OFHG, is the oil filter housing gasket
Appreciate 1
Herakles247.50
      03-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #9
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi

As I say, I'm not sure what it was, but like yours mine collapsed when I reconnected it and the whistle stopped.
I tried to follow it but without stripping some parts off I could not get to either end so just left it and assumed it was the vacuum pipe that ran to the exhaust flap.
When I reconnected mine it was quite loose so I put a small cable tie in each end to ensure it wouldn't come apart again.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi

Yes! You were right on the money! When I plugged it back it made the hose collapse because it the vacuum I thought that was weird but the sound stopped just as you said thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

That entire tube is for the exhaust flap. It can fall off very easily and leak a little oil. I zip tied the two ends of the rubber hose and tied the line a little more out of the way than the factory has it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #11
SWalters
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Garage List
2012 E92 335i  [0.00]
Geez...why could I not find this thread a couple of weeks ago.

I've already replaced the PCV, and was about to order a valve cover or a smoke tester. Finally dug deep enough to find it tonight and came in to post in all the "replaced the PCV and it still whistles" threads that I've run across while looking for answers.

Who the HELL makes a vacuum line out of that crap? Did they just want the damn thing to be -expertly- camouflaged with all the corrugated wire covers??
Appreciate 1
Herakles247.50
      12-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #12
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

I gotta check this on my car. No whistling, but i'm not happy with the big gap between target and actual boost.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #13
Herakles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWalters View Post
Geez...why could I not find this thread a couple of weeks ago.

I've already replaced the PCV, and was about to order a valve cover or a smoke tester. Finally dug deep enough to find it tonight and came in to post in all the "replaced the PCV and it still whistles" threads that I've run across while looking for answers.

Who the HELL makes a vacuum line out of that crap? Did they just want the damn thing to be -expertly- camouflaged with all the corrugated wire covers??
I know! It's insane you can just decouple it so easily !
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #14
postaudi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Just found the same issue on my car after doing some work on it, thanks for the easy fix!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 11:59 AM   #15
greybmw335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335i

Quote:
Hi

By any chance do you know if this is the same way on the n54s? I just did a oil and filter change on mine and ever since than I’ve had a high pitched whistle just like the people in this thread.

Here is what mine sounds like:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ipNRrB2UvHY?feature=shared
Appreciate 0