E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Automatic Transmission Pan Fluid?

09-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

Automatic Transmission Pan Fluid?

So I replaced my transmission, and unfortunately the pan on the newer tranny is cracked. How many liters usually sit in the pan of the transmission? Did not plan on draining the tranny as the fluid is brand new, so was looking for an estimate as to how much is in the pan. Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
So I replaced my transmission, and unfortunately the pan on the newer tranny is cracked. How many liters usually sit in the pan of the transmission? Did not plan on draining the tranny as the fluid is brand new, so was looking for an estimate as to how much is in the pan. Any help is appreciated!
About 4-5 quarts. Just fill until it spills out the fill hole and out the bolt in. Warm the trans up to operating temp and you want a slow weep put the full hole.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
About 4-5 quarts. Just fill until it spills out the fill hole and out the bolt in. Warm the trans up to operating temp and you want a slow weep put the full hole.
Not that easy,

When checking for slow fluid seepage from the fill port, the engine must be running and the fluid temp must be around 35 degrees C.

You need to pull the ZF oil change procedure and follow it. I don't have a copy handy or I would post. I'm sure you can find it with Google or even search these forums.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Not that easy,

When checking for slow fluid seepage from the fill port, the engine must be running and the fluid temp must be around 35 degrees C.

You need to pull the ZF oil change procedure and follow it. I don't have a copy handy or I would post. I'm sure you can find it with Google or even search these forums.
Hence why I said it needs to be warmed up to operating temp. I'm familiar with the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Quote:
Not that easy,

Hence why I said it needs to be warmed up to operating temp. I'm familiar with the procedure.
No, not operating temp. That's too hot.

Living in Florida, it's almost room temp. Run the engine for 5 minutes and you are already above the prescribed temp.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, not operating temp. That's too hot.

Living in Florida, it's almost room temp. Run the engine for 5 minutes and you are already above the prescribed temp.
I stand corrected! I've read through the procedure many times and didn't catch that. Thank you!
Appreciate 0