E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Misfiring disappeared

09-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
Linx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Misfiring disappeared

Sort of
Kind of long so please bare with me
Over a year ago I did a MHD 1+ tune. I installed fresh Delphi coils and Autolite plugs that are either 1.5 or 2 stages colder plugs on my N54. I don't remember the plug part number but it was what I could get my hands on at the time. And doing research, these were ok to use, though I know they're colder than what I need. The car always ran fine, though only on cold starts I would get misfires in random cyl each time. But once the car warmed up I would clear them and they wouldn't come back until next cold start. Sometimes, at a cold start, if I hold the throttle to idle a little higher I'd get no misfire codes.

Anyways, about 2 weeks ago I replaced both boost solenoids. That night I took the car out for a drive and did a hard pull. Around 4000 rpm I got a misfire in cyl 1 and a CEL on my cluster. Pulled over, cut the car off and back on, cleared code, but the misfire didn't go away. Next morning I traded cyl 1 coil pack to cyl 2 and went for a test drive. Sure enough the misfire was now in cyl 2. So I replaced cyl 2 coil with one of my original coils. The car starts to drive normal even on hard pulls, but a few days later at around 75% throttle pull I misfire in cyl 1 again (Delphi pack). So I reinstalled all my original coil packs and kept it easy on the car. I also checked my plugs and some looked black on the tips but not all. I cleaned them just with a rag as I didn't have any brake cleaner on hand.

A few days later I installed downpipes. After the install I take it for a test drive and get a misfire in Cyl 1 again. But this time when I clear the code the car runs fine. So I switched plug 1 with plug 2. I now tried 3 pulls
1st pull - misfire cyl 1
2nd and 3rd pull - misfire 1,2, and 6
The other difference is I was able to reach higher rpm with some hiccups along the way before getting the misfire. Before switching the plugs from the cyl 1 to 2, I would misfire as soon as hitting around 4000 rpm

I since have sent my coils back to FCP for replacement and also ordered NGK 5992. Waiting on them to arrive.

Last night on my way to pick something up I figured I'll do a pull to log it. Other than a few hiccups around 4k-4500 the car kept pulling with no misfires (yes I know those hiccups were misfires, but I mean the car pulled smoothly after that with no codes or CEL). So I did another pull and it started to feel smoother, with less hiccups. This morning I did a few pulls and the car pulled absolutely smooth.

I know a problem still exists, I'm not thinking all is ok now. I'm not too good at reading the logs when it comes to certain things. I did 2 logs last night and forgot to turn one off and started to do normal driving while it was still recording, so not sure if it's worth posting up.

I would like to note that I haven't flashed map 2+ yet. I want to sort this issue before doing that.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
Appreciate 0