E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Remap figures for 330d n57?

09-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
Sukh Singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d

Remap figures for 330d n57?

Hi Peeps,

What are the upper safe limits for the manual box/ clutch on the above?

thanks, Sukh
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukh Singh View Post
Hi Peeps,

What are the upper safe limits for the manual box/ clutch on the above?

thanks, Sukh
ttoally depends how you drive it with 500/520 ftlbs(650-700nm and around 300-320 bhp...thats the upper limits .also depends what rolling road and ambient temps at time of the test and also what gear they do it in..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
ttoally depends how you drive it with 500/520 ftlbs(650-700nm and around 300-320 bhp...thats the upper limits .also depends what rolling road and ambient temps at time of the test and also what gear they do it in..as to wether waht figures you achieve,ive never seen anyone get poor figures when getting a remap/dpf done then rolling roaded..tuning companies want to promote themselves.
as to wether waht figures you achieve,ive never seen anyone get poor figures when getting a remap/dpf done then rolling roaded..tuning companies want to promote themselves.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
ttoally depends how you drive it with 500/520 ftlbs(650-700nm and around 300-320 bhp...thats the upper limits .also depends what rolling road and ambient temps at time of the test and also what gear they do it in..
This is about what I'm running, as far as I'm aware the gearbox is fine and can take the power but the clutch is where it will struggle. I've literally just replaced the DMF and clutch on mine and it puts the power down well now but the life of the clutch will be less than normal.

Next time I'll be getting an uprated friction plate.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #5
Sukh Singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirleeofroy View Post
This is about what I'm running, as far as I'm aware the gearbox is fine and can take the power but the clutch is where it will struggle. I've literally just replaced the DMF and clutch on mine and it puts the power down well now but the life of the clutch will be less than normal.

Next time I'll be getting an uprated friction plate.

Do have any info on the uprated friction plate?

what did the clutch/DMF cost if you don't mind me asking?

Would like a 335d but 1.no manual and 2. no convertible

thanks Sukh
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

thanks Sukh
oem luk clutch is fine for around 300 bhp..as long as you dont drive it like a tool all the time..ie using full torque through 2nd/3rd/4th..when changing gear make sure you let the revs drop a fraction,as hammering it into next gear as quick as you can and mashing your foot into the carpet will make it slip on occasions.
Appreciate 1
ShoCk_18.50
      10-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

thanks Sukh
Hi Sukh

I picked up a DMF from Clutchstop.co.uk for £340 and an LUK clutch kit from Euro Car Parts for just over £100 using some discount codes that are always flying around. Took to my Indy and had fitted for £250, he also changed my gearbox and diff oil at the same time.

The same place I bought the DMF from also stock uprated clutch plates - http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/330-d-1/

Before I bought my 330D I was looking at 335D's but like you, the prospect of no manual option was a no go, so a mapped 330 was the way for me.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #8
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
oem luk clutch is fine for around 300 bhp..as long as you dont drive it like a tool all the time..ie using full torque through 2nd/3rd/4th..when changing gear make sure you let the revs drop a fraction,as hammering it into next gear as quick as you can and mashing your foot into the carpet will make it slip on occasions.
I fully agree with this, the car does not like being rammed through the gears anyway.....
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #9
Sukh Singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I fully agree with this, the car does not like being rammed through the gears anyway.....
Most of miles are motorway so will only get the occasional abuse! lol

I've had the m57 330d with dpf egr delete etc etc.

I done about 30k in it with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #10
Sukh Singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi Sukh

I picked up a DMF from Clutchstop.co.uk for £340 and an LUK clutch kit from Euro Car Parts for just over £100 using some discount codes that are always flying around. Took to my Indy and had fitted for £250, he also changed my gearbox and diff oil at the same time.

The same place I bought the DMF from also stock uprated clutch plates - http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/330-d-1/

Before I bought my 330D I was looking at 335D's but like you, the prospect of no manual option was a no go, so a mapped 330 was the way for me.

thanks for info
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 04:22 AM   #11
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Most of miles are motorway so will only get the occasional abuse! lol

I've had the m57 330d with dpf egr delete etc etc.

I done about 30k in it with no issues.
I am on the boat where if you want it done, do it properly i.e. custom remap etc. and forget the tuning boxes or generic maps. This way you will not have any issues. You will see around 300bhp and just under 500lb/ft. These engines map extremely well and can handle it. Others are right in stating the clutch is the weak link but that is normally what is with any car. If you are doing mostly motorway miles, this doesn't necessarily mean the clutch will last longer...the max. torque comes in at quite low revs i.e. at perfect overtaking speeds which is the norm on motorways. That is what will be working the clutch the hardest! So I would definitely recommend an up-rated clutch. I would also say to only replace your current one once it goes, as you never know, it might last a good while before it needs replacing. I have always done that previously to get the most out of it

On a side note, how does the N57 compare to your old M57??
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #12
billyboym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

On these 330ds whats next after a map for more poooowwwweeerrrr?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 01:22 AM   #13
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
On these 330ds whats next after a map for more poooowwwweeerrrr?
loads more money for one thing,,you will have to go hybrid/bigger turbo/injectors then when they are done it will be inter cooler and maybe a new air intake/maybe an exhaust but not vital as standard can be doctored..and if its manual a new clutch as 700 nm is around the cut off for the original clutch,so same as any other carbout there..dervs are good in the way that you can eek more power for little money..to a degree,then its starts getting expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #14
billyboym3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Quote:
loads more money for one thing,,you will have to go hybrid/bigger turbo/injectors then when they are done it will be inter cooler and maybe a new air intake/maybe an exhaust but not vital as standard can be doctored..and if its manual a new clutch as 700 nm is around the cut off for the original clutch,so same as any other carbout there..dervs are good in the way that you can eek more power for little money..to a degree,then its starts getting expensive.
Thank you

I’m guessing you start getting less power for your buck after that. What sort of power are autos good for?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #15
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboym3 View Post
Thank you

I’m guessing you start getting less power for your buck after that. What sort of power are autos good for?
little over 300 bhp..if its lci then maybe 320 at a push with everthing working good ..ie turbo/injectors etc etc and i wouldnt go above 720 ish nm of torque
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
ShoCk_
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d SE

It's all well and good getting more BHP out of the car but just remember to put on really good tyres and have the alignment done properly. That will make all the difference getting the power to the ground rather than snake tailing all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 01:59 AM   #17
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoCk_ View Post
It's all well and good getting more BHP out of the car but just remember to put on really good tyres and have the alignment done properly. That will make all the difference getting the power to the ground rather than snake tailing all over the place.
me loves a little drift,,traction off and giving it some up through to 3rd,i hate my rear bridgestones(rf) so im doing it a bit to often,,got a couple of places where traffic is scarce and can do a bit of little drifts..only one thing..i hate the smell of burning rubber.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:59 AM   #18
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

I was actually looking at seeing what the next stage is after remap/dpf delete/egr delete on the power/torque side of things. I even spoke to Ecotune. They know their stuff. Can get a hybrid turbo, front mount Wagner intercooler and their dpf delete downpipe (specifically tuned by them) which will make over 330bhp and 700Nm. I think that is fairly healthy increase over the Stage 1 at around the 280ishbhp and 600/650Nm.
Manual would obviously need uprated clutch however, the Auto is good for that much torque. However, this all comes at a cost. Looking at just under £3k for this including labour.

In addition, I wouldn't do the above without handling upgrades. I personally would budget for new springs/dampers and also a Quaife LSD. Specifically the Birds Dynamic Package which includes coilovers specifically tuned for the E90, front/rear ARBs and the LSD. But that is another £3k gone!

However, would you blow £6k on this? I think I would think long and hard as on one hand, you would end up with something rather special. On the other, I would consider putting that £6k towards a more modern car...swings and roundabouts.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #19
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
I was actually looking at seeing what the next stage is after remap/dpf delete/egr delete on the power/torque side of things. I even spoke to Ecotune. They know their stuff. Can get a hybrid turbo, front mount Wagner intercooler and their dpf delete downpipe (specifically tuned by them) which will make over 330bhp and 700Nm. I think that is fairly healthy increase over the Stage 1 at around the 280ishbhp and 600/650Nm.
Manual would obviously need uprated clutch however, the Auto is good for that much torque. However, this all comes at a cost. Looking at just under £3k for this including labour.

In addition, I wouldn't do the above without handling upgrades. I personally would budget for new springs/dampers and also a Quaife LSD. Specifically the Birds Dynamic Package which includes coilovers specifically tuned for the E90, front/rear ARBs and the LSD. But that is another £3k gone!

However, would you blow £6k on this? I think I would think long and hard as on one hand, you would end up with something rather special. On the other, I would consider putting that £6k towards a more modern car...swings and roundabouts.
I think those figures are low and the price is high.

330bhp and 525 lb/ft is not a million miles away from remap figures. Remove the DPF (not that I advocate this) and I'd suspect you're pretty much there.

I've seen a few online that are well over 350/550 with a hybrid, this being one of them;

The text says;
BMW E91 330xd Series 245 Ps / 520 Nm
Stage 3+ 375.7 hp / 810.9 Nm (to EEC)
- 76er exhaust system from turbo
(On customer request with 100mm titanium effect tailpipes and 335d optics)
- Stage 1 intercooler
- Pipercross air filter
- AGR off
On customer's request the attention was absolutely on performance, not on soot-free voting.
More on broo-performance.de or on Facebook
http://www.broo-performance.de/
https://www.facebook.com/BrooPerformance

A hybrid isn't listed but I've read about the above car and spec on another forum.

I'm not au fait with pricing but a quick search shows;
Wagner intercooler and DPF delete pipe - £1,000
Turbo Dynamics hybrid (albeit M57 but gives an indication) - £1,250
Mapping - I paid £450 for my LCI mapping

Even with labour, find a good tuner who'll fit the above and you should be somewhere between £3,000 & £3,500 and I'd expect you'd be north of 350bhp as a result.

As for us it worth it, it would be fun but financially modding never makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 02:13 AM   #20
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post

330bhp and 525 lb/ft is not a million miles away from remap figures. Remove the DPF (not that I advocate this) and I'd suspect you're pretty much there.

I've seen a few online that are well over 350/550 with a hybrid, this being one of them;

The text says;
- Stage 1 intercooler
- Pipercross air filter
- AGR off
On customer's request the attention was absolutely on performance, not on soot-free voting.

A hybrid isn't listed but I've read about the above car and spec on another forum.

Even with labour, find a good tuner who'll fit the above and you should be somewhere between £3,000 & £3,500 and I'd expect you'd be north of 350bhp as a result.

As for us it worth it, it would be fun but financially modding never makes sense.
Fair play, my figures might have been a bit conservative but we are at the same ball park figure of about £3k for this work. I was just adding in that it would be prudent to get the suspension/LSD at the same time however, that is my opinion and what I would do if I was to ever go down this route.

Yep, exactly right! Money spent on modding is very hard if not impossible to make back!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #21
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Fair play, my figures might have been a bit conservative but we are at the same ball park figure of about £3k for this work. I was just adding in that it would be prudent to get the suspension/LSD at the same time however, that is my opinion and what I would do if I was to ever go down this route.

Yep, exactly right! Money spent on modding is very hard if not impossible to make back!
when i looked for a focus st 225,i went looking for an already completed stage 2,ie full exhaust/intercooler/remap/rs clutch better brake set up. etc etc bought car for £6350 and had around 4k of mods,i spent a little also,sold it after 2 years for £6400..so as said..mods you will not really re-coup..but buying one with will be very pocket friendly..
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      11-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
Sukh Singh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post

The text says;
- Stage 1 intercooler
- Pipercross air filter
- AGR off

great figures! but must have shocking mpg lol
Appreciate 0