E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Im getting a Pantera race car!

11-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #45
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Jealous with a capital J
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think the DeTomaso are very cool car. I think I read, that back in the day when Mercury dealers were selling them new... they couldn't give them away. Now look at the prices. Speaking of prices... are the US prices getting as crazy as the EU prices on these cars. I was SHOCKED to see this guys asking price.

Name:  IMG_1453.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1454.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1455.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1456.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  126.2 KB

I saw this red DeTomaso in Berlin at the Motorworld car show.

MotorWorld Classics in Berlin...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=734600&page=4

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #47
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

That's a late model GT5-S. They bring that kind of money all day.

The original Panteras were made from 70-74, then Ford pulled out. The main reason being that ZF couldn't supply the transaxle orders. Detomaso then bought the company back (or shares or whatever) and continued into the early 90's, making cars on a limited basis. That's where you find the GTS, GT4, and GT5 models and the race car models. Those fetch big money.

I have an early 1972 (pre-L) model. In 1973 they came out with the 5 mile an hour bumper rule, so the "L" model was then produced, basically the same car, but with the long, rubber pointy black nose/bumper, and a full bar rear bumper.
One thing that is special about my car is my front windscreen is "flush mounted" like today's modern cars. Stock Panteras have a huge, rubber grommet that mounts the window to the car, and is the cause of the famous rust issues the car is known for. My car has ZERO rust.

The Pre-L models are considered IMO to me more visually appealing, as the rear bumper just looked out of place, and the front black rubber bumper changed the look of the car. It's a preference thing though. Many people change their "L" models into "pre-L" models by switching back to the chrome bumperettes.

My car is set up for track use, and is heavily modified, even though it doesn't have flares, it still sports 335x35x17 rear slicks. It also has frame braces front and rear underneath, and full racing suspension, pop-off MOMO steering wheel, 5 point belts, improved radiator, and a stroked Cleveland 351 to 408, with TWM ITB's and EFI controlled by Haltech, making 650 horsepower.

It has "wrap you around a tree" power! The car commands respect, or you'll find yourself in trouble. I don't show off at all, save for some 1st gear "roasties" when leaving parking lots, just to let people know what the car is all about.

I DID get a chance to play with a newish modified Corvette on the freeway, we were closely matched, but we didn't get crazy or go too fast, but it was fun!

Last edited by mike the snake; 11-09-2015 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #48
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Here's a video my friend helped me with of Snow White. She's still for sale too! I want to go shopping for an airplane.

Appreciate 0