Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!

  E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > GT350R Road & Track's Performance Car of the Year.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #23
fcman
Lieutenant
156
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
If I had all the free time, I might look. However, I never said it had to be new. I let others take that hit.
By that logic every car is overpriced. You can't compare a new car to used cars and say it's not worth the money. Although I bet you would have a tough time finding a stock used car that could keep up on a track for cheaper than the GT350R. I don't even think an older GTR (one you could find for <$70k) could keep up.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #24
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
kprocivic's Avatar
762
Rep
1,573
Posts

Drives: ecoboost s to the t
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 92346

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
By that logic every car is overpriced. You can't compare a new car to used cars and say it's not worth the money. Although I bet you would have a tough time finding a stock used car that could keep up on a track for cheaper than the GT350R. I don't even think an older GTR (one you could find for <$70k) could keep up.
You can get a ton of car for 50k used.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #25
drewnel22
Captain
drewnel22's Avatar
United_States
135
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
If I had all the free time, I might look. However, I never said it had to be new. I let others take that hit.
Well Ford isn't designing new cars to compete with used cars so that's a bad argument. But the fact is there isn't another new car with a warranty that competes with the GT350R around a track. For the price, the driving dynamics and performance are unbeatable hence why it won.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
lve2xlr8
Major
lve2xlr8's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
1,074
Posts

Drives: 09 V8V
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (9)

Great victory for the GT350R. I am surprised that the torque curve isn't a bit flatter
__________________
Tesla 3
V8 Vantage
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
fcman
Lieutenant
156
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
You can get a ton of car for 50k used.
But can you get one that laps a track faster than the GT350R. Again a non-modified used car. I don't see it happening.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #28
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
198
Rep
2,911
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Even $48k for a Mustang is no bueno for me. I love them (Owned 5 so far), but much better cars available for this kind of $ IMO.
Name 3 new cars that are much better at the track, street, 8250 red line, for the same GT-350R price.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #29
MKSixer
Brigadier General
7782
Rep
4,585
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
I do realize that this track ready beast of a car's purpose is much more than straight line speed but I feel compelled to bring it up....

12.3 @ 117.9 are underwhelming numbers IMO. Granted, the R is ~150 lbs heavier than a 6MT M3/4. I just assumed a car making over 500 HP and wearing PS Cup 2 rubber would break into to the 11's @ around 120 mph.

What the hell do I know?
I agree.
These numbers are really disappointing when the power is considered. I think the culprit may be the gear ratios.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #30
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
245
Rep
2,013
Posts

Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Name 3 new cars that are much better at the track, street, 8250 red line, for the same GT-350R price.


You'll be waiting a long time for that answer
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #31
drewnel22
Captain
drewnel22's Avatar
United_States
135
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I agree.
These numbers are really disappointing when the power is considered. I think the culprit may be the gear ratios.
I think we should wait and see how the other instrumented tests play out. Motor Trend is known for not being that quick.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #32
oolas3
Captain
335
Rep
796
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Name 3 new cars that are much better at the track, street, 8250 red line, for the same GT-350R price.

So now it's a great street car too based on 1 track review. It may be a one trick pony like the z28 because it certainly isn't that fast for the hp.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 11:03 PM   #33
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
20
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: Carrera S PDK
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

iTrader: (0)

I seriously doubt it will sell for the msrp, and plug in a bit more $$ for dealer market adjust, and you are in used 997 turbo territory, which might be a bit better with longer lasting street rubber albeit higher service costs. Certainly faster than the 0-60 posted by the pony car.

The chassis I am not impressed with but good to see push the that v8 to close to 100hp per liter and a crazy redline. Might be a great alternative to all the other ls1 swaps people do if ford sells it as a crate engine.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #34
pgviper
Captain
United_States
123
Rep
779
Posts

Drives: X3 xdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
Even $48k for a Mustang is no bueno for me. I love them (Owned 5 so far), but much better cars available for this kind of $ IMO.
With the rate of change in the automotive industry, its kind of hard to base current performance, reliability based on previous personal experiences. Someone comparing a C5 z06 to yours would clearly be completely out of their mind. I would say that the same can be assumed for the newest mustang. Especially one with innovations never before used in a mustang (IRS, FPC, MRC...)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #35
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
United_States
198
Rep
2,911
Posts

Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
So now it's a great street car too based on 1 track review. It may be a one trick pony like the z28 because it certainly isn't that fast for the hp.
You forgot the / in Z/28.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 11:51 PM   #36
FogCityM3
Colonel
FogCityM3's Avatar
449
Rep
2,385
Posts

Drives: M3 (E90) & Shelby GT350R
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Weight to power is 7.0 for the GT350R vs an effective 7.45 for the M4 (assuming it produces 480 bhp). The right apples to apples comparison would be MT vs MT. Seems like in this situation would be faster than the M4, but not by much. The M4's bhp hits peak earlier and stays that way, so to a certain extent in a straight line, it punches above its weight . On the track completely different story, as others mentioned, the times compared to the Merc GTS and Cayman GT4 are staggering! Will be much easier to be fast in compared to the M4 for your average amateur given N/A setup where throttle modulation and control at the limits will be easier to manage.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #37
BlackJetE90
Brigadier General
1356
Rep
4,749
Posts

Drives: E90 no longer
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: is everything

iTrader: (0)

LOL at someone suggesting a used 911 Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #38
burnrbr
Private First Class
United_States
46
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jacksonville, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
I seriously doubt it will sell for the msrp, and plug in a bit more $$ for dealer market adjust, and you are in used 997 turbo territory, which might be a bit better with longer lasting street rubber albeit higher service costs. Certainly faster than the 0-60 posted by the pony car.

The chassis I am not impressed with but good to see push the that v8 to close to 100hp per liter and a crazy redline. Might be a great alternative to all the other ls1 swaps people do if ford sells it as a crate engine.
Modern Ford V8s are too large to be swapped into most of the cars that a LS fits. The DOHC heads take up a lot of space. This is why you don't see coyote engines in a 65 Mustang or fox body. Chevy refers to the power vs physical size as power density.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #39
burnrbr
Private First Class
United_States
46
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jacksonville, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
LOL at someone suggesting a used 911 Turbo.
Agreed. The maintenance costs are not anywhere close to the same especially given the 911 won't have a warranty. Also, the Ring time for the 350R crushes any used 911 that could be purchased for the price of a 350R. Some people seem to have a disdain for Mustangs and are struggling to rationalize their position against the 350R.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #40
drewnel22
Captain
drewnel22's Avatar
United_States
135
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Agreed. The maintenance costs are not anywhere close to the same especially given the 911 won't have a warranty. Also, the Ring time for the 350R crushes any used 911 that could be purchased for the price of a 350R. Some people seem to have a disdain for Mustangs and are struggling to rationalize their position against the 350R.
There is no ring time for the GT350R. I don't think Ford has released any performance numbers at all besides HP and TQ.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #41
Never_Enough
Satan's Chariot 2.0
Never_Enough's Avatar
United_States
793
Rep
2,165
Posts

Drives: Hellcat, Miata, Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnel22 View Post
Well Ford isn't designing new cars to compete with used cars so that's a bad argument. But the fact is there isn't another new car with a warranty that competes with the GT350R around a track. For the price, the driving dynamics and performance are unbeatable hence why it won.
No, it's not a bad argument. It's my OPINION. I would not spend the $ on this car. Not enough car for the $. I am not a pro road racer. We can agree to disagree...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #42
burnrbr
Private First Class
United_States
46
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Jacksonville, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnel22 View Post
There is no ring time for the GT350R. I don't think Ford has released any performance numbers at all besides HP and TQ.
It may not be the official Ford time, but the 350R has run the ring in 7:32:19. It's in pretty interesting company considering:

2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S - 7:32:00
2010 Porsche 911 GT3 RS - 7:33:00

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/26/f...p-time-report/
https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #43
drewnel22
Captain
drewnel22's Avatar
United_States
135
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
It may not be the official Ford time, but the 350R has run the ring in 7:32:19. It's in pretty interesting company considering:

2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S - 7:32:00
2010 Porsche 911 GT3 RS - 7:33:00

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/26/f...p-time-report/
https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/
Back in January a site called Horsepower Kings (HPK) started that rumor and then other places took that and ran with it. Unfortunately there are no sources to back this up. Until there are its just going to be a rumor and nothing more.

From the EVO article:
Quote:
by lapping the Nuburgring in a reported 7min 32.19sec in its GT350R Mustang.

No video evidence of the laptime has been released as of yet. We’ll update here as soon as it has.
Here is the link to the clickbait site HPK
http://horsepowerkings.com/report-20...rburgring-lap/
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #44
fcman
Lieutenant
156
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
No, it's not a bad argument. It's my OPINION. I would not spend the $ on this car. Not enough car for the $. I am not a pro road racer. We can agree to disagree...
It is a bad argument though, you say it's not enough car for the money so post something which is a faster track car from the factory for the same money or less.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST