E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Underbody parts help

10-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Underbody parts help

So the red square in this image is what is hanging underneath my car. It is hanging from 2 places. The bolts and fasteners are still there but are rusted out. The Dealer said they re-attached it but they didn't.(I guess they don't care much when you go in for a recall). I think I need this https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...757125058.html But I am not sure. also what bolts would fit in it?
Attached Images

Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Is this your car? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6216
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
Yes it is.
I need everything underneath secure or it'll get ripped off in the winter. The car pushes through a lot of snow.

Last edited by gunnerxq; 10-23-2018 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

It's amazing where your pics end up

So OP what are you exactly asking? The link to realOEM.com gives you all the information you need to know. If the fiber panel is ripped or damaged, you need to get a new one. I'd bet most of the fasteners are still attached. The fasteners are 10MM plastic nuts, under panel screws (8MM head) used for the belly pan, and depending on if it is the right or left panel, there are a few sheet metal nuts that look like a big washer.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

The rear under panels to my car are mostly held together with the torx head plastic pins. #20 on the diagram. Can be different on your car however.
      10-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It's amazing where your pics end up

So OP what are you exactly asking? The link to realOEM.com gives you all the information you need to know. If the fiber panel is ripped or damaged, you need to get a new one. I'd bet most of the fasteners are still attached. The fasteners are 10MM plastic nuts, under panel screws (8MM head) used for the belly pan, and depending on if it is the right or left panel, there are a few sheet metal nuts that look like a big washer.
No damage to the panel. Just 2 screws aren't holding to the body anymore, like a perfect snow shovel underneath the car. I might have to drill them out. It seems like #11 got rusted to the bolt and popped out of it's place. It's the only thing that looks big enough to not fall out. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/

But there's no way to attach it, it seems. Unless I'm missing something.
So #15 looks like a good fit for the situation but I've put them in before and seem too small.
I might have to take more off. Or Magyver something.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
No damage to the panel. Just 2 screws aren't holding to the body anymore, like a perfect snow shovel underneath the car. I might have to drill them out. It seems like #11 got rusted to the bolt and popped out of it's place. It's the only thing that looks big enough to not fall out. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...uine-bmw-part/

But there's no way to attach it, it seems. Unless I'm missing something.
So #15 looks like a good fit for the situation but I've put them in before and seem too small.
I might have to take more off. Or Magyver something.
What side panel, driver's side or passenger side? If the screws in the front are not holding then it sounds like the capture nuts are rusted out. The capture nuts clip in to the engine under cover (belly pan). The driver's side panel attaches to the belly pan at two places. The belly pan goes over top of the panel. The rest of the panel attaches to the body with screws and 1 or 2 plastic nuts. I looked last night for a better pick of the undercarriage that came from the series of pics I posted in 2007 (which one of is the pic in this thread). There might be a good undercarraige pic in my N52 Clutch Replacement DIY. I rember laying down and taking a good pic of the underside for the DIY.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What side panel, driver's side or passenger side? If the screws in the front are not holding then it sounds like the capture nuts are rusted out. The capture nuts clip in to the engine under cover (belly pan). The driver's side panel attaches to the belly pan at two places. The belly pan goes over top of the panel. The rest of the panel attaches to the body with screws and 1 or 2 plastic nuts. I looked last night for a better pick of the undercarriage that came from the series of pics I posted in 2007 (which one of is the pic in this thread). There might be a good undercarraige pic in my N52 Clutch Replacement DIY. I rember laying down and taking a good pic of the underside for the DIY.
The passanger side. I put a red square on the picture exactly where the the two bolts are screwed to the panel but are not holding to the body. There are 2 square holes about 1"×1" in the body where the fasteners used to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
The passanger side. I put a red square on the picture exactly where the the two bolts are screwed to the panel but are not holding to the body. There are 2 square holes about 1"×1" in the body where the fasteners used to be.
You need item 15 "expanding rivet" in the realOEM schematic.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need item 15 "expanding rivet" in the realOEM schematic.
Thank you. I'll take your word for it. I was probably getting those expanding rivets confused with the front ones that are smaller.
Appreciate 0