E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Build Thread - E92 335D

12-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #199
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Thanks Ian..
Still not put on the thingymajig LOL.. My room is cluttered with ALL my audio gear and lil bits n bobs that need putting on. Soon as the weather clears up a bit, I'm on it!

Still need to find out the offsets haha but when we test fitted them on, they sat great. The front is 8j and rear is 10j. Rears are EXACTLY the way I've always wanted to have on my own car.. deep dish but not OTT. Front will need spacing just a tad so on the look out for 10-12mm hubcentric spacers..

I'm not feeling too good so I'll check the offsets perhaps a little later or even tomorrow. Would these be written somewhere inside the wheel I suppose?

Also to give them the best protection, will Poorboys sealant be a good enough product or should I go buy FK 1000p after reading rave reviews about it? Plus the FK can also be used on the body work too :-)

:-)
      12-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #200
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Thanks Ian..
Still not put on the thingymajig LOL.. My room is cluttered with ALL my audio gear and lil bits n bobs that need putting on. Soon as the weather clears up a bit, I'm on it!

Still need to find out the offsets haha but when we test fitted them on, they sat great. The front is 8j and rear is 10j. Rears are EXACTLY the way I've always wanted to have on my own car.. deep dish but not OTT. Front will need spacing just a tad so on the look out for 10-12mm hubcentric spacers..

I'm not feeling too good so I'll check the offsets perhaps a little later or even tomorrow. Would these be written somewhere inside the wheel I suppose?

Also to give them the best protection, will Poorboys sealant be a good enough product or should I go buy FK 1000p after reading rave reviews about it? Plus the FK can also be used on the body work too :-)

:-)
Sam offset/size details should be stamped on the inside of each wheel,if not you can use this guide to work it out

http://www.raceandroad.com/technical...el-offset.html

You really need that info before ordering tyres,test fitting just the rims will give no indication of what the best size of tyre is required.

As for wheel protection,Poorboys is good,as are a multitude of other products,but for me it has to be:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_878.html

Hope you feel better soon,but Man colds/flu are fuckers,far,far worse than anything woman have ever experienced

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #201
Tyso335
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport.......

gona look sweet in the summer dude and sound sweet

Fuel of the Devil
NOW: E92 335d M Sport lots of mods to come...
Gone But Not Forgotten: EVO 8 MR FQ340 Running 370bhp
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #202
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
How are you liking your set up Mo? U must be chuffed!
Yeah i am lol. Just need to do a few small bits and pieces and i should be done hopefully! Haven't done any tuning yet, just want to hear it all standard on factory eq for a bit.

Only thing i can think of spending on the audio now is getting another amp to add some rear fill. At the moment in the rear you hear mostly bass lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #203
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Sam offset/size details should be stamped on the inside of each wheel,if not you can use this guide to work it out

http://www.raceandroad.com/technical...el-offset.html

You really need that info before ordering tyres,test fitting just the rims will give no indication of what the best size of tyre is required.

As for wheel protection,Poorboys is good,as are a multitude of other products,but for me it has to be:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_878.html

Hope you feel better soon,but Man colds/flu are fuckers,far,far worse than anything woman have ever experienced
Ian, thanks for the advice
I've gone and checked now and the findings are..
Rears = ET 40
Fronts = ET 20

I want a bit of a stretched look so any ideas on tyre sizes? OEM set up as you know is 225/35/19 fronts 8j and 255/30/19 rears 9j ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyso335 View Post
gona look sweet in the summer dude and sound sweet
Hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Yeah i am lol. Just need to do a few small bits and pieces and i should be done hopefully! Haven't done any tuning yet, just want to hear it all standard on factory eq for a bit.

Only thing i can think of spending on the audio now is getting another amp to add some rear fill. At the moment in the rear you hear mostly bass lol.
Hhehe never ending this eh How is the tuning carried out, via laptop?
      12-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #204
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hhehe never ending this eh How is the tuning carried out, via laptop?
Lol don't say that im hoping the audio is done and left for a good while after adding rear fill!

There's not much more needed apart from tuning it (and little things such as deadening rear shelf, maybe adding a grill in front of the sub etc). Yeah tuning is done via a laptop. I just want to get my ears in tune with it all neutral and then get a calibrated mic and RTA software, which should help give me a solid starting point.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #205
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ian, thanks for the advice
I've gone and checked now and the findings are..
Rears = ET 40
Fronts = ET 20

I want a bit of a stretched look so any ideas on tyre sizes? OEM set up as you know is 225/35/19 fronts 8j and 255/30/19 rears 9j ..
So your fronts are 8J & ET20,quite an aggressive offset,made worse by the coilovers,so I doubt you'll need spacers.
You might find that you need to reset the coilovers to a higher setting,to avoid the tyres catching.
I'd go with 215/35/19 which should achieve the stretched look you're after,the problem then leaves availability of manufacturers who do that size.

Falkens are available in both the 452 & 453 (no experience of the latter)
Nankang's are also available in that size.
Vreds are a no-no, and I've not checked Conti's,Pirelli or most of the big boys,as I doubted they'd do them,so worth checking.

Rears at 10J & ET40,good offset as it gives you room for manoeuvre on tyre sizes and spacers should you want them.

I'd go 265/30/19,which again will look stretched.
Both the Falken 452/3 are available,as are the Nankangs
You might be able to get away with a 5mm spacer,but until you try the wheels less any spacers you won't really know.
You can also always fanny around with the coilover settings (such a bonus over lowering springs) on the height,so you could go more on the spacer width,say 10mm.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #206
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So your fronts are 8J & ET20,quite an aggressive offset,made worse by the coilovers,so I doubt you'll need spacers.
You might find that you need to reset the coilovers to a higher setting,to avoid the tyres catching.
I'd go with 215/35/19 which should achieve the stretched look you're after,the problem then leaves availability of manufacturers who do that size.

Falkens are available in both the 452 & 453 (no experience of the latter)
Nankang's are also available in that size.
Vreds are a no-no, and I've not checked Conti's,Pirelli or most of the big boys,as I doubted they'd do them,so worth checking.

Rears at 10J & ET40,good offset as it gives you room for manoeuvre on tyre sizes and spacers should you want them.

I'd go 265/30/19,which again will look stretched.
Both the Falken 452/3 are available,as are the Nankangs
You might be able to get away with a 5mm spacer,but until you try the wheels less any spacers you won't really know.
You can also always fanny around with the coilover settings (such a bonus over lowering springs) on the height,so you could go more on the spacer width,say 10mm.
Ian that's a massive help, thank you!

I was wrong, I believe the fronts are 8.5j. Rest remains the same. How does this change the dynamics in terms of which tyres to go for?

I'm happy to go Falken if they supply in that size so will take a look

Sam
      12-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #207
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ian that's a massive help, thank you!

I was wrong, I believe the fronts are 8.5j. Rest remains the same. How does this change the dynamics in terms of which tyres to go for?

I'm happy to go Falken if they supply in that size so will take a look

Sam
I suppose it comes down to just how much you want that stretched look,or, want more of a selection in terms of tyre size and still have a stetched look.

A 215 tyre on a 8.5J wheel will look really stretched,so if you went up to a 225 tyre, which will still give you a stretched look,it will also give you a wider choice of tyre make.

Do the latter & I'd recommend Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's,there more grippy in the wet on the back end,something you'll really appreciate once you get the car mapped.
Whilst the traction control light might go off in unison with your big fuck off sound system,it does get quite tedious,+going sideways on the M25 gets dangerous at times

The Vreds are more expensive than the Falkens,but it's money well spent.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b758s46...5_19_225_35R19

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b758s34...0_19_265_30R19

Micheldever tyres will price match Camskill,and Micheldever are awesome in terms of tyre fitting/balancing and alignment

http://www.micheldever.co.uk/

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #208
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I never knew you could fit narrower than recommended tyres. Wouldn't this invalidate insurance? How would it affect handling and safety?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #209
sives
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Saving to get a e46 m3 ;)

[QUOTE=AWBimmer;13194986]

They're 19"s

thats a good find mate, been looking for a similar set up to yours in 19s,

wanted the 2 piece or 3 piece ones, but are hard to find it in 19s, most of them are 18s or 17s, need to find a set one day ,

got a set of bbs rs gt reps, but the proper ones are better

its gonna look awesome on the car. been following your thread for awhile, when i get a 335d next yr, first thing will be dropping it on coils, had springs on my e46 , but prefer the coils now ,
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #210
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=sives;13196691]
Quote:

They're 19"s

thats a good find mate, been looking for a similar set up to yours in 19s,

wanted the 2 piece or 3 piece ones, but are hard to find it in 19s, most of them are 18s or 17s, need to find a set one day ,

got a set of bbs rs gt reps, but the proper ones are better

its gonna look awesome on the car. been following your thread for awhile, when i get a 335d next yr, first thing will be dropping it on coils, had springs on my e46 , but prefer the coils now ,
Cheers bud, yeah I got very lucky with these and snapped them up as soon as I saw them. Yeah coils are such a big statement it's great! Most of my gear will come on/ be installed by February/March so stay tuned

Well someone is selling their 3 piece split rims on here but they're Porsche wheels. Nonetheless, absolutely gorgeous stands the car out by a mile. Seller name is tommye92..

Ciao for now.
      12-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #211
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I suppose it comes down to just how much you want that stretched look,or, want more of a selection in terms of tyre size and still have a stetched look.

A 215 tyre on a 8.5J wheel will look really stretched,so if you went up to a 225 tyre, which will still give you a stretched look,it will also give you a wider choice of tyre make.

Do the latter & I'd recommend Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's,there more grippy in the wet on the back end,something you'll really appreciate once you get the car mapped.
Whilst the traction control light might go off in unison with your big fuck off sound system,it does get quite tedious,+going sideways on the M25 gets dangerous at times

The Vreds are more expensive than the Falkens,but it's money well spent.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b758s46...5_19_225_35R19

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m55b758s34...0_19_265_30R19

Micheldever tyres will price match Camskill,and Micheldever are awesome in terms of tyre fitting/balancing and alignment

http://www.micheldever.co.uk/
Noted, thanks a tonne Ian I think I'll look into 225s front and 265 rear as 255 will be too big a stretch for a DD.

When telling the insurance company of these changes do I need to mention stretched tyres? Sam
      12-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #212
Tyso335
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport.......

get them wheels on today

Fuel of the Devil
NOW: E92 335d M Sport lots of mods to come...
Gone But Not Forgotten: EVO 8 MR FQ340 Running 370bhp
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #213
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I never knew you could fit narrower than recommended tyres. Wouldn't this invalidate insurance? How would it affect handling and safety?
Anyone have an answer to this?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #214
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can fit narrower than recommended tyres,the OEM wheels have already been changed,so both wheels and tyres are modifications,so should be declared as such.
I couldn't comment on either handling or safety,as it's not something I've done,nor would consider,any views would probably be no better than an educated guess,unless of course the comments came from someone who had done the same as Sam is proposing.

Quote:

When telling the insurance company of these changes do I need to mention stretched tyres? Sam
The way of dealing with what you're proposing, is to declare your mods as
'Aftermarket wheels and non standard tyres',it's no different to what I did with LV insurance,where when declaring any mods on an online form the wording above is what you tick to declare the mod.

Quote:
Anyone have an answer to this?
Done

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #215
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Damn Hotcoupe on fire!!! lol

Looks like its case closed.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #216
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks hotcoupe.

I meant fitting narrower tyres than the wheels for that stretched look, surely that would invalidate insurance. It just seems strange. Maybe its ok, i dont know never done it or heard of it.

I'd guess that risks of blow outs will increase?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #217
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks hotcoupe.

I meant fitting narrower tyres than the wheels for that stretched look, surely that would invalidate insurance. It just seems strange. Maybe its ok, i dont know never done it or heard of it.

As I said Fella,if you declare the modifications,you've covered yourself.

People have been doing the stretched look for ages,it used to be a Jap/Vag thing,looks like it's spreading.

Each to their own I guess.

Quote:
I think it's more a case of hoping that the risk of blow jobs will increase

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #218
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think it's more a case of hoping that the risk of blow jobs will increase

I'm not after super mad stretched.. something to tickle my fancy that's all

Careful driving & regular tyre pressure checking should ensure the risk of blowouts is minimised. Hopefully en route to a healthy lookng E92 :

Right..... off to wax and buff those wheels for the all important protection!
      12-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #219
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Do you guys know if an LCI model diffuser will fit on my Pre LCI?
      12-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #220
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you guys know if an LCI model diffuser will fit on my Pre LCI?
Good question Sam,not sure is my answer.

Have you already bought the LCI diffuser?

If you have,try it,changing a diffuser is like painting,it's like pissing,it's easy

Check out REALOEM,see if the part numbers are the same.

Appreciate 0