E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Battery warning light on

03-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Pinarelloman
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 320D

Battery warning light on

Hi guys.
I have had a battery warning light pop up occasionally, usually if I stop and have the radio and lights still on auto.

The display warns of high battery discharge rate.

Yesterday the warning cam on and the warning triangle stays on in the dash cluster.

Upon arriving home yesterday, I checked the batter voltage @ 12.8 and running was 14.2.

Anything to reall worry about?

I will check it this morning and post up the results.

Just checked battery is at 12.04. Dud battery?

Last edited by Pinarelloman; 03-10-2021 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:52 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarelloman View Post
Hi guys.
I have had a battery warning light pop up occasionally, usually if I stop and have the radio and lights still on auto.

The display warns of high battery discharge rate.

Yesterday the warning cam on and the warning triangle stays on in the dash cluster.

Upon arriving home yesterday, I checked the batter voltage @ 12.8 and running was 14.2.

Anything to reall worry about?

I will check it this morning and post up the results.

Just checked battery is at 12.04. Dud battery?
It's usually just an old battery that causes this, but could possibly be other things. It can cause issues, as the power management in the car is recognizing that the battery charge is becoming low. The power management will start shutting down/restricting electrical consumers like the interior fan speed, heated rear window, heated seats, and a few others that i can't remember. I'll see if i can find the list in ISTA and post it.

It might be a good idea to get the battery tested with a proper battery tester and see if it's any good. Remember to register it if it's replaced. This will reset the power management and restore any functions it has disabled or restricted.

Edit: Bit of info from ISTA. The power management disables or restricts, Heated rear window (demister)Mirror heating Seat heating, Heater blower (the IHKA is responsible for adaptation of the heater blower).

And a bit about battery registration from ISTA

Notice! Register battery replacement

After installing a new battery, the service function 'Register battery replacement' should be run. The battery replacement has to be registered in order to tell the power management system that a new battery has been installed in the vehicle. If the battery replacement is not registered, the power management will not function properly, with the result that Check Control messages may be displayed and functions limited by individual electrical consumers being switched off or having their power consumption reduced, for example

Last edited by F31B48; 03-10-2021 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 12:15 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
how old is your battery?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
Pinarelloman
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 320D

Thank you very much for that info, Eba Bmw.

Socket, I dont know. I have had the car 2.5 yrs now and have been getting this message on and off for about 6 months.

Initially I thought it was warning me because i was stopped with the engine off and the lights were still on.

Any particular battery brands that a good or others to avoid?

Currently it has a Supercharge.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinarelloman View Post
Thank you very much for that info, Eba Bmw.

Socket, I dont know. I have had the car 2.5 yrs now and have been getting this message on and off for about 6 months.

Initially I thought it was warning me because i was stopped with the engine off and the lights were still on.

Any particular battery brands that a good or others to avoid?

Currently it has a Supercharge.
If the battery is more then 5 years old, its probably due for replacement
Varta batteries are what I use
Appreciate 0