E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Old Procede Box vs new Flash Tune

03-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Ozzydeepgreen
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Old Procede Box vs new Flash Tune

Ok. So I haven't kept up too well with tune technology. I didn't see the need, as I have a Procede box in my 2007 335i and its been fantastic. However as you would all know, times have changed and technology has moved away from these devices. Flash tunes apparently are where its at now.
I'm at the point of replacing the original turbos due to the dreaded waste gate rattle with a reco upgraded set, so its timely for me to understand the new performance mod stuff.
So, What I know need to know is
what is the difference,
how are the new flash tunes done,
and do I retain the groovy on/off process and map choices via my cruise control lever with a flashtune or is it permanently resetting the car in performance mode and
can I do it via an App download and associated software via my laptop.
Sorry to be so far back in yesteryear with this.
Any takers?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzydeepgreen View Post
Ok. So I haven't kept up too well with tune technology. I didn't see the need, as I have a Procede box in my 2007 335i and its been fantastic. However as you would all know, times have changed and technology has moved away from these devices. Flash tunes apparently are where its at now.
I'm at the point of replacing the original turbos due to the dreaded waste gate rattle with a reco upgraded set, so its timely for me to understand the new performance mod stuff.
So, What I know need to know is
what is the difference,
how are the new flash tunes done,
and do I retain the groovy on/off process and map choices via my cruise control lever with a flashtune or is it permanently resetting the car in performance mode and
can I do it via an App download and associated software via my laptop.
Sorry to be so far back in yesteryear with this.
Any takers?
1)in overly simple terms, flash tunes are a direct modification of your dme, the old stuff was piggy back where it just hijacked signals

2) Flash tunes are done now by first downloading the app onto your phone and purchasing the necessary licenses and maps (either pre-made or custom)

You then connect your phone to your obd2 port (either via dcan cable or through a wireless obd2 dongle) and press a few buttons on the app (there are further settings you can modify to your personal tastes) and wait a bit.

3) Flash tuning doesnt allow map switching on the fly as it isnt a separate module that handles the maps. (Imagine someone made a custom version of our software and replaced the stock stuff with it). The plus side is, after the first flash, each reflash takes 1-2 min. So while more inconvenient, map switching is still pretty quick, you just have to pull over somewhere for a bit

4) i'm not too sure if there's a computer based flash tune (aside from the companies that ask you to send in your DME). Stuff like BM3 and MHD are done through tablet/smart phone via proprietary app

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Ky has it pretty much covered.... not much more to say except MHD (flash tune) allows you to read and clear fault codes (good for when the dash lights up like a christmas tree) and can also log (record) what it happening inside the engine etc as you are driving around. This extra functionality is very useful for diagnosing problems etc
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
Ozzydeepgreen
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Ky has it pretty much covered.... not much more to say except MHD (flash tune) allows you to read and clear fault codes (good for when the dash lights up like a christmas tree) and can also log (record) what it happening inside the engine etc as you are driving around. This extra functionality is very useful for diagnosing problems etc
Thanks guys. Appreciate your input. The whistles and bells provided by my old school piggyback system were indeed seldom used, and I only ever used 'map 2' anyway. Never intended high end meth injection required for map 3. Process of toggling on/off via steering wheel stick was handy though.
Next steps then, upgrade/repair turbos then identify flash tune options?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzydeepgreen View Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate your input. The whistles and bells provided by my old school piggyback system were indeed seldom used, and I only ever used 'map 2' anyway. Never intended high end meth injection required for map 3. Process of toggling on/off via steering wheel stick was handy though.
Next steps then, upgrade/repair turbos then identify flash tune options?
yup, and make sure your general maintenance items are taken care of. As you probably already know, any kind of tuning will stress weak points in your system whereever they may be

If you're trying to capitalize on the performance benefits of the turbo upgrade, I'd suggest skipping premade OTS maps and just getting a custom tune, even moreso if you have upgraded inlets to go with them.

(if you're just upgrading turbos for a better reliability threshold and are tuning for a conversvative bump in power over stock, I believe you should be okay with the OTS maps, someone else would be better to speak on this though, im still running stock snails so no personal exp)

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:14 PM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
yup, and make sure your general maintenance items are taken care of. As you probably already know, any kind of tuning will stress weak points in your system whereever they may be

If you're trying to capitalize on the performance benefits of the turbo upgrade, I'd suggest skipping premade OTS maps and just getting a custom tune, even moreso if you have upgraded inlets to go with them.

(if you're just upgrading turbos for a better reliability threshold and are tuning for a conversvative bump in power over stock, I believe you should be okay with the OTS maps, someone else would be better to speak on this though, im still running stock snails so no personal exp)
Ky is spot on and I agree if you are going with upgraded turbos you should get a custom tune to get the best out of them. Contact Tim Murray in Melbourne (look him up on facebook) he is the best N54 tuner in Australia imo and will make you a custom map that you load on MHD instead of one of the MHD generic tunes
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

I don't have the experience of the other guys but I will confirm that my car feels a lot better with my JB4 removed. I would suggest that a generic MHD map is a compromise (from a custom tune) and that a MHD backend is a further compromise. As soon as I get new injectors and a possible boost leak fixed, I will be going for a custom tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #8
Ozzydeepgreen
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
I don't have the experience of the other guys but I will confirm that my car feels a lot better with my JB4 removed. I would suggest that a generic MHD map is a compromise (from a custom tune) and that a MHD backend is a further compromise. As soon as I get new injectors and a possible boost leak fixed, I will be going for a custom tune.
Hey thanks. Looking forward to hearing how you go.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0