E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > How to use OEM Sharkfin GPS Antenna for Aftermarket Headunit

02-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

How to use OEM Sharkfin GPS Antenna for Aftermarket Headunit

Here is the DIY to utilize BMW provided OEM Sharkfin GPS Antenna for your aftermarket Headunit. (ex. Dyanavin)

Introduction

Contrary to popular belief, most vehicles that did not come with I-Drive does indeed have a GPS receiver in the Sharkfin antenna in conjunction with other receivers such as radio, cell, etc etc...

These connectors are all located in the trunk compartment
(Pull the trunk "secret compartment" lid outward and you will see this

Instructions

1) Items you need to purchase:
1. SMA Straight Male Crimp for RG-174 Cable
2. Fakra Plug Crimp Connector
3. RG-174 Coaxial Cable
*Note* Remember to purchase enough length of the coaxial cable to reach from the dash to the trunk about 5 meters (16 feet)

2) Connect the SMA Male Crimp and Fakra Plug to each end of the coaxial cable

3) Wire the cable from your Dynavin unit to the trunk through the center console:
Run the cable from the CCC, along the passenger side of the center console wiring, and underneath the back driveshaft tunnel. The carpet is extremely tight here, so use a couple of large screwdrivers to make a path for the coaxial cable to pass through.

4) The blue connector is originally connected to the box shown in the picture.
Pull that plug out and connect your fakra plug.

5) Test to see if the GPS signal works
      05-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

I can't believe there is no comments on this. Has nobody else done this?? Approximately where in the trunk do I check for the Nav antenna plug? I know I have satellite prep and planning to use the stock Sirius antenna for my aftermarket set up, would love to use a stock nav antenna as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i

If I'm reading this right, it looks like you should be able to just cut the antenna off any aftermarket Nav antenna, and then crimp on the male Fakra plug, to plug into the stock antenna at the rear. Then you will have whatever plug you need for your headunit on the end already, and you'll save yourself purchasing the coaxial cable.

I'm planning my stereo upgrade out right now, I will do a much more detailed write up on everything once I get my install done. This DIY was a good starting point though.
Appreciate 0