E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i Turbo upgrade done and in testing phases

Closed Thread

12-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #89
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO View Post
Yes, I believe that a culmination of GT PRO, ASR and AMS will help to drive innovation. I for one am very happy to see those guys going after it as well. Those two others are doing great things, and I feel that with the three of us pushing it will only be making things better for the community.
This is very mature from your side...my kudos to you and your company

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #90
AJ@ECSMotorsports
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Well if the turbos are going to be removed, those with the WG rattle can fix it themselves, am I wrong?

Would factory wastegates be used? I know Forge has upgraded wastegates for many Euro Turbo applications.

Forge is also about 10min from my house =)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #91
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As per my knowledge , bigger turbos will create a slightly increased turbo lag effect. How do you compensate this?

Also , as turbos getting bigger the volume of the air comming out of the turbos (towards to IC)is now bigger than before. Does it means that a bigger IC is now a "necessarity".Are you going to include an IC as standart to your turbokit?

What are you going to do with both the above?

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #92
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Turbo lag would come with bigger turbo housing.Good to keep oem housing also for the exchange.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #93
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EST View Post
Turbo lag would come with bigger turbo housing.Good to keep oem housing also for the exchange.
Well, I bet GTPro can shed some light on this, but the fact that the compressor wheel is larger than stock means that there will be more inertia to overcome which should increase some lag whatever that is.

Actually depending on where the trade-offs are a larger housing could possibly allow for a faster spool up.
These things spin so fast that any differences in mass on either side (compressor/turbine) play a huge part what lag will be felt.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #94
Denis GTPRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 rsr gt3

New wastegates are not on the agenda atm. This is a BMW issue from the factory that they need to get right in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #95
Denis GTPRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
As per my knowledge , bigger turbos will create a slightly increased turbo lag effect. How do you compensate this?

Also , as turbos getting bigger the volume of the air comming out of the turbos (towards to IC)is now bigger than before. Does it means that a bigger IC is now a "necessarity".Are you going to include an IC as standart to your turbokit?

What are you going to do with both the above?
there is no such thing as lag with a td03 housing and the dispacement of the n54 engine. Our turbos do not induce lag the only drawback to machining a housing to fit a larger wheel is slightly more heat due to the inertia of the air traveling through the same sized hole to the intercooler. But the amount of air vs the slight temperature variation is not even worth the calculation. We will be working on a matched intercooler upgrade that will have as little as 3% pressure drop from not having an intercooler at all. Making the propper parts takes a long time. we do not want to keep having to re engineer the same part and make a version 1.0 -4.2 for the same part. we would rather get it right the first time and create something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #96
Banker335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 335i

I really think it’s selfish to say that the wastages problem is BMW's. Although that is true, you are giving us a turbo Kit. If you’re going to do one part You NEED to do the whole thing. The waste gates are a obviously a large part of the Turbo. Why someone would get this kit if it’s still attached to a shitty Westgate is stupid. Plus by the time we get this kit, Why the F would BMW fix our wastages’. Its all or nothing man, I can believe you just said that....Lame.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #97
Denis GTPRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker335i View Post
I really think it’s selfish to say that the wastages problem is BMW's. Although that is true, you are giving us a turbo Kit. If you’re going to do one part You NEED to do the whole thing. The waste gates are a obviously a large part of the Turbo. Why someone would get this kit if it’s still attached to a shitty Westgate is stupid. Plus by the time we get this kit, Why the F would BMW fix our wastages’. Its all or nothing man, I can believe you just said that....Lame.
Im not trying to say its not important, especially since a turbo upgrade makes things that much more interesting. What im trying to say is that is is happening on FACTORY bmw cars and is an issue that is covered under warranty. NO ONE has blown a factory wastegate open due to high boost pressure so there is not need to make a part to sell to the consumers because an aftermarket unit is not yet needed, the factory simply need to work before you do an upgrade under warranty. why pay 40k for a car when you must pay a pro tuning shop to get a factory piece JUST to work properly when we havent reached the limits of a factory piece when it works right? When we do our upgrade we check and test the flapper portion to make sure it is working porperly. Even if bmw were to remove our turbo upgrade from a car still under warranty there is only a 1% chance they might realize that the turbo hase been upgraded because the work is so precise. We sell parts to where comsumer get their moneys worth. I just dont see a reason to make a wastegate setup yet especially since vishnu is currently the only company to my understanding that can control the boost section ecu wise to the limits of the car. You car needs to be healthy and not have issues before you do this upgrade or any other for thast matter. Power only amplifies existing issues, and if you have rattling wastegates from the factory, get it fixxed under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #98
Denis GTPRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
the m3 wheels on your car btw look VERY nice. I may have to plagurize that situation
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #99
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis GTPRO View Post
the m3 wheels on your car btw look VERY nice. I may have to plagurize that situation
Its pretty tricky to fit those huge wheels in such limited space but I guess it worths the pain.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #100
Denis GTPRO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Its pretty tricky to fit those huge wheels in such limited space but I guess it worths the pain.
Nothing in life worthwhile is easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #101
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO View Post
Hi guys, well to answer a few of your questions here we go:

Tuning, JB3, V3, Dinan etc.? I have been trying to get together with BMS Terry, but he is so busy with production, we are not that important. Next call will be to Shiv., however we ARE working currently on a flash (past 6 months) with a very reputable outfit called Powerchip from AU.

This could also be why it is not important. Apparently he doesn't believe bigger turbos are the answer.

Terry BMS quote:
"I think for guys looking for 475-500hp its a good way to go. For most, a waste of time. You can make 420+rw on the stock turbos. Maybe more. Bigger turbos only add headaches (both tuning and other), PITA installs, and slower boost build up (IMHO)."

Last edited by M3WC; 12-16-2008 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #102
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Quote:

I have had a Gyro at "The Mad Greek" restaurant in Stanton CA
      12-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #103
Banker335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 335i

TRU, ok my bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #104
Brian GT PRO
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i E92

Quote:
Thank you, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #105
Kerosene Hat
Regional Governor
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis GTPRO View Post
Even if bmw were to remove our turbo upgrade from a car still under warranty there is only a 1% chance they might realize that the turbo hase been upgraded because the work is so precise.
Just wondering - if one needs a tune (obviously) to make the upgraded turbo operate properly, is there a map-switching option that is in the works to "de-power" the vehicle so that tech's don't feel the upgrade when testing the vehicles.

I totally get the optical inspection, but the reality is that BMW will drive the vehicle if warranty work's performed...and an additional 100-150WHP is kinda tough to hide if there isn't a map or such for it. (eg - APR uses cruise control stalk to switch b/w stock and tuned maps in the VWAG world)

Just wondering. Thanks for the news & innovation!
      12-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #106
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
this is exciting!

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #107
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene Hat View Post
Just wondering - if one needs a tune (obviously) to make the upgraded turbo operate properly, is there a map-switching option that is in the works to "de-power" the vehicle so that tech's don't feel the upgrade when testing the vehicles.

I totally get the optical inspection, but the reality is that BMW will drive the vehicle if warranty work's performed...and an additional 100-150WHP is kinda tough to hide if there isn't a map or such for it. (eg - APR uses cruise control stalk to switch b/w stock and tuned maps in the VWAG world)

Just wondering. Thanks for the news & innovation!
Hide your boost controller and turn the boost down when you take it in
      12-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #108
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkevoIX View Post
Hide your boost controller and turn the boost down when you take it in
what are you putting down with your evo? i'd be willing to bet some serious power...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #109
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

How is testing going?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #110
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
This could also be why it is not important. Apparently he doesn't believe bigger turbos are the answer.

Terry BMS quote:
"I think for guys looking for 475-500hp its a good way to go. For most, a waste of time. You can make 420+rw on the stock turbos. Maybe more. Bigger turbos only add headaches (both tuning and other), PITA installs, and slower boost build up (IMHO)."

true he said that. but when i pressed him a bit, he said that if the new turbos was really going to catching on, he would be in.
he has also stated similar things in various threads over at the other forum.

Terry even went as far as saying if the new turbos deviated too much from stock power curves, he would personally prefer flash tuning.... then he implied that this was possible with his current business relationships / associates.

i would not count terry out at this point.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread