E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke's Intercooler -**DETAILED REVIEW WITH AITs POSTED!**

03-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #45
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
BTW: did you install an oil catch can as well?
No, but I didn't see a drop of oil in the intercooler or piping at all. It had a chance to leak too when you remove the stock piping to the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #46
E92White
**N54 Power Baby**
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
You make me want to spend money everytime I see your reviews.
same here..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #47
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92White View Post
same here..
Thanks. I don't want anyone to spend any money they don't want to. I do want out community to be educated so you can decide what mods best fit our needs. There is no question now on how the stock IC performs on the real roads and there is no question on how well the Active Autowerke Intercooler performs now either.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #48
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Makes me feel good about my purchase months ago

The only thing I'd maybe change is some quality tbolt clamps instead of the ones that come with the kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #49
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Former_Boosted_IS

Good information. Will you be doing any extended runs? Back-to-back WOT are great, but I want to see how the I/C impacts a 30-60 minute track session in 90F ambient temps.
      03-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #50
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Former_Boosted_IS

Good information. Will you be doing any extended runs? Back-to-back WOT are great, but I want to see how the I/C impacts a 30-60 minute track session in 90F ambient temps.
Bubbles, thanks. I have no plans on doing long track events. That is not my cup of tea. The back to back long gear pulls tells us this IC takes a very long time to heat soak. The stock IC basically heat soaked after multiple long gear pull.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #51
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
Makes me feel good about my purchase months ago

The only thing I'd maybe change is some quality tbolt clamps instead of the ones that come with the kit.

T-bolts do look nice and function well, but with these tiny turbos they are probably way overkill. Both the IC and the passenger/driver side piping all have lips so the provided clamps should hold up quite well. If they showed I would update them for looks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #52
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

When we gonna see some dynos?

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #53
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Great review, and numbers. It really appears that the stock intercooler is useless at anything higher then stock boost, and even then might be questionable.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #54
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Great review, and numbers. It really appears that the stock intercooler is useless at anything higher then stock boost, and even then might be questionable.

Mike
Mike I think you are spot on. The stock intercooler is really a very poorly functioning part and I think the testing shows it must be in the top 3 items replaced on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #55
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Perhaps tbolts would be overkill... But my driver/passenger side connectors and couplers did not come preassembled like yours, and I was having issues with coupler fitment and hose length during my install.

I popped a hose (which actually came loose off the passenger side coupler) and when I went to address the problem found that I had a boost leak from that area as well. I also noticed another clamp had worked it's way down and OVER the coupler's bead instead of behind it. To correct the issue, I had a new coupler fabricated for that side (and the opposite coupler rebeaded), and went ahead and got new silicone hoses from turbohoses.com as well as replace all the clamps.

I'm not necessarily blaming the clamps but the oil that accumulates in the intake tract may have played a role, and nice quality clamps never hurt. And correct me if I'm mistaken, didn't the code3/spearco come with tbolts? I believe the helix also came with some really nice clamps as well...

In any case OP, great review and data you've presented here! Anyone who goes to the AA FMIC would be very happy with their purchase :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #56
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
When we gonna see some dynos?
You probably won't to be honest. I may at some point in the future, but only if I get some new parts like an exhaust. The reason is the intercooler has two purposes:

1. Cooling the air from the inlet to the outlet side
2. Pressure loss

We know the pressure loss is about 1 psi less than the stock IC, so essentially you can up the boost now by about 1 psi and the turbos will work the same amount.

We know the pressure loss is less and the AIT decrease is around 40 degrees F, so we have all the data that is needed. You will see people argue on this forum with dyno numbers but ask Helix or AA or Spearco or RPI and they will tell you the data I am providing shows the results. It must produce more power now because of the results I showed. Now I can run more boost and get more power out of every pull.

The dyno is more a function of the fan than anything else. The air goes across the intercooler in real life as a function of your speed. On the dyno it is essentially constant, so my tests show it does produce more power without any argument. When comparing IC's you need to look at pressure loss and AIT drop to compare.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #57
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps tbolts would be overkill... But my driver/passenger side connectors and couplers did not come preassembled like yours, and I was having issues with coupler fitment and hose length during my install.

I popped a hose (which actually came loose off the passenger side coupler) and when I went to address the problem found that I had a boost leak from that area as well. I also noticed another clamp had worked it's way down and OVER the coupler's bead instead of behind it. To correct the issue, I had a new coupler fabricated for that side (and the opposite coupler rebeaded), and went ahead and got new silicone hoses from turbohoses.com as well as replace all the clamps.

I'm not necessarily blaming the clamps but the oil that accumulates in the intake tract may have played a role, and nice quality clamps never hurt. And correct me if I'm mistaken, didn't the code3/spearco come with tbolts? I believe the helix also came with some really nice clamps as well...

In any case OP, great review and data you've presented here! Anyone who goes to the AA FMIC would be very happy with their purchase :-)
I will go through everything in a week to make sure the clamps are holding up well then.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #58
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

I am actually a little disappointed with those results. The best IC's on the Market usually only see around a 10 degree rise in IAT's over a full 3rd gear pull and they use Garret Cores, which that is not.

Obviously still much better than stock though.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #59
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep

Nah... No need. Popped that hose after a good 10k with the FMIC.

I noticed I had a good amt of oil in the endtanks though and I'm not looking forward to cleaning that out LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #60
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Some people that were asking about dynos probably don't recall the dynos that I did.
Here was my review with dynos:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0106&highlight

I had JB2H at the time.
This was a great review!!
MUCH more detailed than mine!

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #61
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
I am actually a little disappointed with those results. The best IC's on the Market usually only see around a 10 degree rise in IAT's over a full 3rd gear pull and they use Garret Cores, which that is not.

Obviously still much better than stock though.
CanadianTSi, this was a rise of 35 on full long gear pulls. The AIT rise over ambient has more to do with the turbos on this car than the intercooler. The intercooler is doing a very good job.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #62
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Some people that were asking about dynos probably don't recall the dynos that I did.
Here was my review with dynos:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...0106&highlight

I had JB2H at the time.
This was a great review!!
MUCH more detailed than mine!
Mr. 5, thanks for the kind words. I know you have been a pioneer on these forums so you compliments mean a lot to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #63
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
And correct me if I'm mistaken, didn't the code3/spearco come with tbolts? I believe the helix also came with some really nice clamps as well...
Yes. My Code3/spearco came with T-bolt clamps, silicone couplers and a new aluminum boost tube. The T-bolt clamps were nice. When i installed them it was tough to get my hands into the small space to tighten some of those T-bolts up, but well worth it because those babies are on tight and I've had zero issues with boost leaks etc after installing the FMIC.

I definately agree the stock FMIC is a major weak link in our N54's and there are several great options out there to upgrade it. I think anyone will notice a significant performance improvement when they upgrade. I was really suprised how much difference I could feel. Also cutting is no big deal. I was a little discouraged at first when I realized how much I needed to cut for my 135i, but after I was finished it looked clean and it was nice to get the plastic that is partially blocking the intercooler on my 135i out of the way. I used a $3 mini hack saw for the cutting and it worked great and my bumper stayed on the whole time. The dremel cut-off wheel was not usefull for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #64
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer View Post
Yes. My Code3/spearco came with T-bolt clamps, silicone couplers and a new aluminum boost tube. The T-bolt clamps were nice. When i installed them it was tough to get my hands into the small space to tighten some of those T-bolts up, but well worth it because those babies are on tight and I've had zero issues with boost leaks etc after installing the FMIC.

I definately agree the stock FMIC is a major weak link in our N54's and there are several great options out there to upgrade it. I think anyone will notice a significant performance improvement when they upgrade. I was really suprised how much difference I could feel. Also cutting is no big deal. I was a little discouraged at first when I realized how much I needed to cut for my 135i, but after I was finished it looked clean and it was nice to get the plastic that is partially blocking the intercooler on my 135i out of the way. I used a $3 mini hack saw for the cutting and it worked great and my bumper stayed on the whole time. The dremel cut-off wheel was not usefull for me.
I didn't use the cut wheel of the plastic should, but the drill looking bit. It cuts right through it like butter!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I didn't use the cut wheel of the plastic should, but the drill looking bit. It cuts right through it like butter!
Good thinking! I should have tried that. I gave up after about ten minutes of using the dremel cut-off wheel, I kept breaking the wheels and it seemed to take forever to cut. Luckily i had the mini-hack saw which worked suprisingly well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #66
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great to see you are enjoying the product. I have update another thread which can be found here for all of you who have PM'ed me.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...63#post4625463
Appreciate 0