E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke's Intercooler -**DETAILED REVIEW WITH AITs POSTED!**

04-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #111
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Thanks for the Great review, I have made up my mind Larger intercooler isn't always a good thing, since I am not planning to do Turbo upgrade either(Tune, DCI, Midpipe and Bastuck)...but your review is just that damn good that made my choice haha I'm sure I can still get some good things out of this Gigantic intercooler. Thanks again for the detailed write up.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #112
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

m3rxn and Ferre, congrats! Let me know if you have any questions during the install.

creaminz, LOL! You will love the unit. It gives you a lot of flexibilty down the line and I am sure you will absolutely love the product. The car is just a different animal. It doesn't run strong once, now it is the same car all the time and that is supported by the AIT testing.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #113
E92White
**N54 Power Baby**
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
m3rxn and Ferre, congrats! Let me know if you have any questions during the install.

creaminz, LOL! You will love the unit. It gives you a lot of flexibilty down the line and I am sure you will absolutely love the product. The car is just a different animal. It doesn't run strong once, now it is the same car all the time and that is supported by the AIT testing.
OP,one of the reasons I passed up on a sweet deal on the AA a while back,was because after I saw the directions,I was overwhelmed with the fact that you needed to cut,and plus it said something about needing to glue some shit with super glue or something or other..if the install really isnt that hard,I may still give AA a shot..as I've been holding off..care to give us an idea what you need to cut,and or glue but simplify it ? I know you mentioned earlier in the thread there isnt a whole lot to cut,but the directions I read showed alot of B.S.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #114
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92White View Post
OP,one of the reasons I passed up on a sweet deal on the AA a while back,was because after I saw the directions,I was overwhelmed with the fact that you needed to cut,and plus it said something about needing to glue some shit with super glue or something or other..if the install really isnt that hard,I may still give AA a shot..as I've been holding off..care to give us an idea what you need to cut,and or glue but simplify it ? I know you mentioned earlier in the thread there isnt a whole lot to cut,but the directions I read showed alot of B.S.
I completely understand. The cutting is quite simple using the dremmel and the attachment I showed. Once the bumper is off you will see the large plastic shroud. It shows you exactly where you need to cut and took me about 10 minutes total. That tool on the dremmel cuts plastic quite well.

As for what needs to be glued... just the rubber seal that connects to the plastic shroud you just cut off. It is basically to seal the cooling section of your car. When you glue it down, you reseal the area so the air will be forced across the intercooler and radiator. Really they are very easy. I worried just like you, but I know now that there was no reason at all to be concerned.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #115
E92White
**N54 Power Baby**
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I completely understand. The cutting is quite simple using the dremmel and the attachment I showed. Once the bumper is off you will see the large plastic shroud. It shows you exactly where you need to cut and took me about 10 minutes total. That tool on the dremmel cuts plastic quite well.

As for what needs to be glued... just the rubber seal that connects to the plastic shroud you just cut off. It is basically to seal the cooling section of your car. When you glue it down, you reseal the area so the air will be forced across the intercooler and radiator. Really they are very easy. I worried just like you, but I know now that there was no reason at all to be concerned.
kool..sounds like it isnt too tough..do you really need to use that little black shroud thing that comes attached to the IC though ?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #116
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92White View Post
kool..sounds like it isnt too tough..do you really need to use that little black shroud thing that comes attached to the IC though ?
That is a good question. AA said they installed some without it. I would install the bottom one regardless because that is easy and seals the bottom of the intercooler so the air cannot escape out below the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #117
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
You can argue this ad nauseum, but in the end the statistics being shown are a lot like a bikini.....they seem to reveal a lot, but hide the essentials!

For instance, the claim was for a 19F delta with the VK product, yet this was from a barely warmed up engine.

Here is another snapshot of the same intercooler under different conditions.

"The VK IC starts at 25C (77f) and raises to 27C (81f) a 4 degree variance after 8 pulls with hardly any cool down."

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=106

Yet in another customer testimonial, the upper end temp of VK testing was consistently held at 94F with a temp rise of 14F on the 4th run:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...82&postcount=1

So the data can swing quite a bit depending on the circumstances.

But I think what is most important is the heatsoak resistance and the final IAT - because that temperature will significantly influence the amount of boost decay the DME will induce.

You could get an artificially large delta by starting up the engine cold and immediately logging a run, but that will not be reflective of the upper end temperature performance, which in my opinion is what really matters for a stock turbo setup.

CFM flow and pressure drop are also important, but the only way for customers to measure this would be via the BT tool.
+1000

I'd love to see flow charts
      04-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #118
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

How come the the photos are gone
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #119
Tiago@VRSF
United_States