E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 N52 engine feels weaker after recall engine repair?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
horse9118
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2008 328i
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

E90 N52 engine feels weaker after recall engine repair?

Two weeks ago I took my 2008 328i to a local BMW dealer to take care of the 2 factory recalls, PCV Valve Heater and the Blower Motor Wiring. First time I went back to get the car the check engine light came on and there was a rattling noise from the engine at start up. I immediately went back to the dealer and they took the car back in. Dealer called me a few days later and said the issues were due to the technician forgetting to plug in a connector in the engine during the repair process and everything is now good.

I have the car back for a week now and the engine just feels different, almost as if it has less torque. Before this car can get to 80-90 mph on the highway without much effort and now its seems like I got to really work the throttle to get up there. Another weird thing I noticed is that my rpms goes to 6-7k really easily where as before unless I floor it, my rpm stays below 4k. I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or if there is something there.

The check engine light is not on but I'm not sure I can trust the dealer to resolve all the issues. I mean, the shop clearly didn't even bother to start up the car and check everything after doing the repairs since I had to tell them about the check engine light when I went to pick up the car the first time.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
Mosaud1998
Major
United_States
913
Rep
1,067
Posts

Drives: E90 328
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You could try taking it to another BMW dealership and explain the issue to them.

They might be willing to take a look at the issues at no cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
103
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

This is why I won't take my 06 330xi in for those two recalls. 185k and runs great. Don't want them messing it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #4
Love The Drive
Second Lieutenant
Love The Drive's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: E90 MT N51
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Canyons

iTrader: (0)

Is it a manual transmission? Did they potentially burn your clutch? Not exactly sure what you mean by RPMs going up really easily.

I also don't want to take my car in to the dealer for these recalls. 2011 with 198k miles. No major issues, and want to keep it that way.
__________________
2011 E90 328i | CDV Delete | BMW PE | Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit | 17x9 ET30 APEX ARC-8's | 255/40
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
1004
Rep
2,472
Posts

Drives: e92n52 & f15n57
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse9118 View Post
Two weeks ago I took my 2008 328i to a local BMW dealer to take care of the 2 factory recalls, PCV Valve Heater and the Blower Motor Wiring. First time I went back to get the car the check engine light came on and there was a rattling noise from the engine at start up. I immediately went back to the dealer and they took the car back in. Dealer called me a few days later and said the issues were due to the technician forgetting to plug in a connector in the engine during the repair process and everything is now good.

I have the car back for a week now and the engine just feels different, almost as if it has less torque. Before this car can get to 80-90 mph on the highway without much effort and now its seems like I got to really work the throttle to get up there. Another weird thing I noticed is that my rpms goes to 6-7k really easily where as before unless I floor it, my rpm stays below 4k. I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or if there is something there.

The check engine light is not on but I'm not sure I can trust the dealer to resolve all the issues. I mean, the shop clearly didn't even bother to start up the car and check everything after doing the repairs since I had to tell them about the check engine light when I went to pick up the car the first time.
Pure speculation, but did they flash your engine ECU? One of the troubleshooting steps is to update all modules. If they did that, you might have a new revision that might not be as "strong" as your old one.

Or maybe they just reset your adaptations.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #6
bluewater328
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
541
Rep
1,977
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Pure speculation, but did they flash your engine ECU? One of the troubleshooting steps is to update all modules. If they did that, you might have a new revision that might not be as "strong" as your old one.

Or maybe they just reset your adaptations.
Agree with this. I would check your checkout sheet they provide. It will list everything they did. Esp during recalls, they want to list everything as they get credits from BMW NA for it. So they wont try to hide it if they updated something. The recalls themselves do not affect anything performance related unless they somehow didn't put back the pcv correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
rjahl
Lieutenant Colonel
rjahl's Avatar
773
Rep
1,991
Posts

Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by horse9118 View Post
Two weeks ago I took my 2008 328i to a local BMW dealer to take care of the 2 factory recalls, PCV Valve Heater and the Blower Motor Wiring. First time I went back to get the car the check engine light came on and there was a rattling noise from the engine at start up. I immediately went back to the dealer and they took the car back in. Dealer called me a few days later and said the issues were due to the technician forgetting to plug in a connector in the engine during the repair process and everything is now good.

I have the car back for a week now and the engine just feels different, almost as if it has less torque. Before this car can get to 80-90 mph on the highway without much effort and now its seems like I got to really work the throttle to get up there. Another weird thing I noticed is that my rpms goes to 6-7k really easily where as before unless I floor it, my rpm stays below 4k. I'm not sure if I'm going crazy or if there is something there.

The check engine light is not on but I'm not sure I can trust the dealer to resolve all the issues. I mean, the shop clearly didn't even bother to start up the car and check everything after doing the repairs since I had to tell them about the check engine light when I went to pick up the car the first time.
Pure speculation, but did they flash your engine ECU? One of the troubleshooting steps is to update all modules. If they did that, you might have a new revision that might not be as "strong" as your old one.

Or maybe they just reset your adaptations.
If the car was tuned by the previous owner, the dealer could have "wiped it" with a standard flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:09 AM   #8
aphael
Private First Class
aphael's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittz1 View Post
This is why I won't take my 06 330xi in for those two recalls. 185k and runs great. Don't want them messing it up.
Those recalls are actually quite important, wouldn't want your car to catch on fire wouldn't you. They also replaced my faulty airbag which is really important if you have a sport steering wheel.
__________________
2007 E92 328i 6MT | KW V3 | 3SI | Style 219M | Headers
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST