E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Manual E90 Start-Off Assist not working

05-05-2024, 04:29 PM   #1
carl.csa
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328xi

Garage List
Manual E90 Start-Off Assist not working

Hi!

So, I have a 2010 E90 which is a manual car and I do know that these cars have a Start off Assist which prevents the car from rolling back. I dont really care about it but the fact that it is not working is weird. I dont have any lights on the dashboard so there is no reason for it not to work. The more weird thing is that when I wash the car, the feature works for a bit which is like one to two tries and then stops working again. Anyone has any idea what this could be?

I got the car two months ago and the brakes and rotors were replaced last year by the previous owner. Another thing which I noticed and not sure if it’s related to that which is also when I wash the car, there is a bang heard most probably from the rear. It only happens while the car is rolling back and it’s just like the brake pedal was pressed quick for a fraction of a second. Happens like 3 to 4 times in a row immediately after washing the car.

Not sure if it’s sensors related or there might be anything related to brakes (anything loose maybe). If anyone might have any idea about that or how the system works (what could cause bugs in the system) and can provide a cause for what my be causing that, I would really appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 09:53 PM   #2
Runnin'Rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009MY E91 328Xi 6MT

mine doesn’t always work on my 6MT.

I find If i give the brake pedal a good stab it will engage. Coming to a rolling stop with a small amount of brake pedal won’t active it.

Try a steeper slope and give the pedal a firm push
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2024, 10:03 PM   #3
carl.csa
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
mine doesn’t always work on my 6MT.

I find If i give the brake pedal a good stab it will engage. Coming to a rolling stop with a small amount of brake pedal won’t active it.

Try a steeper slope and give the pedal a firm push
Sounds good! Will try it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 12:52 AM   #4
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
I've come to really appreciate the hill hold feature... seemed like a gimmick, but it's pretty nice! I really notice it when I drive the Mazda3 that doesn't have it. Hope you can get it working consistently!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2024, 06:47 AM   #5
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Like the others in this thread. I found that I have to give the pedal a good push, was the same when my car was an automatic.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 07:43 AM   #6
carl.csa
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucosticte View Post
Like the others in this thread. I found that I have to give the pedal a good push, was the same when my car was an automatic.
Unfortunately, this didn’t help. Since it’s working a bit after washing the car, Im assuming that it might be a sensor issue somehow? Are there any sensors connected to the system? Cuz it seems that when they get some water it helps cleaning them up and the system works for some time.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:15 AM   #7
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Like StradaRedlands I really like the feature. I’ve never messed with it but would assume there has to be sensing what gear you are in ,wheel rotation, foot on brake. Of course, BMW does things the BMW way so you’d have to dig into it to really know.

That said, maybe you can narrow things down.
I “think” the system works in both directions. I have memory of trying to back up a hill and it worked. (But I wouldn’t swear to it). It might be interesting to verify that and see if it works in reversing up a hill. If it does it would seem rotation, brake sensing wouldn’t be the problem?

There was a post from, I think @ctuna, which had some service training info. There might be something in there which explains the system.

If you can get access to INPA or IStA, I’d think there would be diagnostics which would likely tell you if some sensor is failed.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0