E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N43 30C1 Error

10-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
epilamun
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

N43 30C1 Error

So for a couple of months I've had a number of issues, and I have had the following work done to the car:

Sump gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Timing chain - was replaced with FAI kit
Spark plugs - these are Bosch, I've read that there could be issues associated with this due to the design of the plugs, should I change these?
Vanos solenoid exhaust
Thermostat - replaced about a week ago, only driven 30 mi since in short distances

About 14mi ago, 30C1 Engine Oil pressure control was spotted on Ista. I'm not exactly sure how long the journey was I just drove, definitely a similar distance to that.

I just added about 0.5L of 0w-30 oil to the engine before this journey, can this trigger a code? Also, although it was an aftermarket chain installed, I just doubt it can break up within 6000mi of being installed.

I also have had a light amount black smoke emanating from the left side of the engine, above the exhaust manifold after a small drive of 0.5mi just before I topped it up. I then took the car for a longer 13-14mi drive and now this has gone. Any specific reason that black smoke could have been there? I do have the occasional misfire at idle - the car shakes a little and I barely see a change in RPM - perhaps 50rpm at best. Also after this slightly longer journey the car had a very slight knocking noise at idle - I found this concerning.

If there's any more info you might need, give me a shout. I've tried old Google and can't really find much on this. Cheers

Last edited by epilamun; 10-20-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Correct plugs for N43 are NGK spark plug ZKBR7A-HTU. The Bosch ones you have fitted when compared to these are different length which guarantees misfires will be present.

As another member found when comparing in this thread
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Assuming your oil strainer isn't full of rubbish and your oil filter housing cap has fresh orings then your 3C01 will almost certainly be the oil pressure control valve. Replaced the oil pressure switch at the same time on the one I did, because it was so convenient while in that area. Never had 3c01 since.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
epilamun
Rep

Do you know what would cause the dark coloured smoke? This was coming from the left side of the engine bay and not the exhaust. Exhaust produces a light mist basically at all times but never smells like oil
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
epilamun
Rep

I realised that the smoke is white, not black, so that clears up a lot of confusion. I finally replaced the spark plugs, took them out and saw oil on bank 4 (closest to windscreen). Guessing that the RCG is gone, though the mechanic I bought the car from replaced the gasket only 6k ago, perhaps he torqued it incorrectly or it needs new bolts?

W.r.t. the 30c1, can this be linked to the oil leak? Logic says not. Guess I might need to also change the hydraulic valve?

The spark plugs were also black - burnt over. Could this be due to:
- Incorrect length (bosch) causing poor firing
- VANOS issues (in the past)
or is this more sinister i.e. fuel injectors, HPFP or something along those lines? I still get excess white smoke/steam from the exhaust but it is not the head gasket.

Last edited by epilamun; 10-27-2020 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Sal4.org
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93

Whats wase your symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
Assuming your oil strainer isn't full of rubbish and your oil filter housing cap has fresh orings then your 3C01 will almost certainly be the oil pressure control valve. Replaced the oil pressure switch at the same time on the one I did, because it was so convenient while in that area. Never had 3c01 since.
Hi,

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 03:40 AM   #7
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal4.org View Post
Hi,

Oil pressure warning, not every time, but always immediately after deceleration. Eg. After leaving the motorway the warning would come up.
The new valve cured it at the time, but that was 14 months ago. Its just started to reappear. I went to do an oil change and found fine metallic particles in the filter housing. I have now removed the engine and will be looking at the shells. Doesn't knock, so hopefully catch it early.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Ended up getting the crank reground and new shells throughout on the engine.
Also stripped the oil pump and its absolutely knackered. Deep gouges worn in the casing between suction and delivery sides. No wonder the oil pressure has been iffy at idle.

Don't think the engine has ever been ran dry so the oil pump must just be worn out. This is at 167k miles.
Appreciate 0