Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What should I do?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
What should I do?

I recently purchased new tires from tirerack.com. I bought a set of General Exclaim UHPs. I went on tirerack.com and compared my options. I chose the General Exclaim UHPs because I heard they were a decent tire for the price. I've been unemployed for a while so I try to save as much money as I can. On tirerack.com, the Exclaim UHPs are listed as an "Ultra High Performance Summer Tire." They looked like the best bang for my buck, so I bought them. Fast forward to tonight. I'm on General's website (generaltire.com) and I happen to look at the Exclaim UHPs. According to General, the Exclaim UHPs are an "Ultra High Performance All Season Tire." So basically, I was under the impression that I was buying UHP Summer tires when reality, I bought UHP All Season tires. That's not right, IMO.

Should I contact tirerack.com and tell them that they falsely advertised the tires that I bought? I garage the car in the winter, so I don't need All Season tires. I was looking to buy a decent Summer Tire. To be honest, I'm not exactly happy with the tires either. I have traction issues in 2nd gear. I never had the problem with my Dunlops. I do realize that Generals are not the same quality as Dunlops. I don't know if it matters that the Dunlops were RFTs which makes them heavier so they wouldn't spin as easy? Idk if that would matter or not.

Anyways, what do you guys think I should do?

tirerack.com

generaltire.com
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Are you sure you were mislead? UHP seems pretty general, perhaps there is more than one version of the same tire? Compare the speed rating for both...

Everything I've heard about Tire Rack has been 100% positive, that doesn't mean they're infallible, if something is amiss I'm sure they'd make it right to protect their rep around here, they're a major sponser of wheel and tire forum. Maybe posting this in there would've been more ideal
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Are you sure you were mislead? UHP seems pretty general, perhaps there is more than one version of the same tire? Compare the speed rating for both...

Everything I've heard about Tire Rack has been 100% positive, that doesn't mean they're infallible, if something is amiss I'm sure they'd make it right to protect their rep around here, they're a major sponser of wheel and tire forum. Maybe posting this in there would've been more ideal
Well, if I wasn't mislead, either Tire Rack or General messed up. According to Tire rack, I bought a UHP Summer tire and according to General, I bought a UHP All Season tire. I was specifically looking for a Summer tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

I' call tire rack and ask them how they would like to proceed. Either return them or ask for a small discount.

As for the traction issues and your dissatisfaction, what do you expect? They are junk tires.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
I' call tire rack and ask them how they would like to proceed. Either return them or ask for a small discount.

As for the traction issues and your dissatisfaction, what do you expect? They are junk tires.
I would have returned them, but I installed them and put about 500 miles on them already. I'll see what they can do.

I know they aren't great tires, but money is tight at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

It cant hurt to contact TireRack. Just be prepared to present evidence. 500 miles on a tire still constitutes it being a used tire nonetheless. I'm not exactly sure what their return policy is.
      05-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I used to have these on my 335xi.

I talked to TireRack about why they list Exclaim UHP as 'summer tires' rather than 'all-season tires'. TR told me that based on their own testing, UHP do not perform well enough in wet and snow to be called 'all-season'.

So, I guess it is perhaps not their intention to mislead you, but rather give its customers information based on their own testing.

It won't hurt to talk to them though.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Tire Rack Talks About the Tread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I used to have these on my 335xi.

I talked to TireRack about why they list Exclaim UHP as 'summer tires' rather than 'all-season tires'. TR told me that based on their own testing, UHP do not perform well enough in wet and snow to be called 'all-season'.

So, I guess it is perhaps not their intention to mislead you, but rather give its customers information based on their own testing.

It won't hurt to talk to them though.

GL!
In the detail information Tire Rack says that the tread qualifies as M+S but goes on to say that they don't recommend the tire for low temp use.

It's possible that your tires aren't scuffed in yet. As an example, people have said that Vredestein Sensattas take up to 800 miles to break in. Next time, you might want to look at Vredestein's. While not quite as low cost as the General's, people that have bought them have overwhelmingly been very positive regarding performance.
      05-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
In the detail information Tire Rack says that the tread qualifies as M+S but goes on to say that they don't recommend the tire for low temp use.

It's possible that your tires aren't scuffed in yet. As an example, people have said that Vredestein Sensattas take up to 800 miles to break in. Next time, you might want to look at Vredestein's. While not quite as low cost as the General's, people that have bought them have overwhelmingly been very positive regarding performance.
+1, I can even see it in the product description that the OP screen printed.

Direct link http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP

"The Exclaim UHP is General Tire's Ultra High Performance Summer tire that was developed for the drivers of sports cars, coupes and sedans. While meeting minimum tread design standards to be "M+S" branded, the Exclaim UHP is designed to provide high levels of traction, response and control in dry conditions, along with superior hydroplaning resistance in wet conditions. We do not suggest Exclaim UHP tires be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Keep in mind that M+S branding is only a void to tread ratio, nothing more. True all season tires will have a rubber compound that is designed to work in lower temperatures as well as have more siping in the tread pattern for light snow traction.

To summarize : summer tire compound, summer tire construction, tread pattern that has just enough void ratio to bear the M+S stamp does not make it an all season tire.

That being said, this tire is a good value tire with great wet traction, good wear and ride quality. While breaking in the tires will help some with grip, this is not a tire that is known for super sharp steering response and very high dry cornering grip.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
+1, I can even see it in the product description that the OP screen printed.

Direct link http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP

"The Exclaim UHP is General Tire's Ultra High Performance Summer tire that was developed for the drivers of sports cars, coupes and sedans. While meeting minimum tread design standards to be "M+S" branded, the Exclaim UHP is designed to provide high levels of traction, response and control in dry conditions, along with superior hydroplaning resistance in wet conditions. We do not suggest Exclaim UHP tires be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

Keep in mind that M+S branding is only a void to tread ratio, nothing more. True all season tires will have a rubber compound that is designed to work in lower temperatures as well as have more siping in the tread pattern for light snow traction.

To summarize : summer tire compound, summer tire construction, tread pattern that has just enough void ratio to bear the M+S stamp does not make it an all season tire.

That being said, this tire is a good value tire with great wet traction, good wear and ride quality. While breaking in the tires will help some with grip, this is not a tire that is known for super sharp steering response and very high dry cornering grip.
Makes sense. Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I'll just say this, I had these on my modded 08 GTI (225/35/19 size) and I took the car to Lake Taho in mid-December and not once did I ever have a problem with traction. Not in deep snow, compacted snow/ice, slush, nothing. And in the rain they absolutely killed. I'm not saying these are on par with a true winter tire, but I can't fathom how TR can say they're not an all-season.
Appreciate 0