E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Eonon D5165 - Updated with Pics

07-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Eonon D5165 - Updated with Pics

EDIT** I purchased the unit and updated with pics.

Quote:
I barely can find any info on the Eonon D5165, and it looks like have of the threads have been deleted. For $384 with navigation maps it seems decent, not to mention it is PnP. I have the HiFi system, which looks like it should be pretty straight forward. Looked at the Dynavin, but feel it is overpriced. If I'm gonna by cheap chinese junk, I want to pay the cheap chinese price, not Apple prices!
I ended up buying this from another member for $265. Installed yesterday, it was fairly straight forward, all plug in play. I routed the GPS antenna under the A pillar and it works perfectly. All steering wheel buttons work, the voice command now MUTES the system. Overall, I am very happy for under $300 out of pocket! Interface looks great! Canbus and vehicle related functions like PDC support and display, OBC display, button lighting that dims, selectable automatic screen dimming, car error warning tones work with the included harness. Tones are a generic beep that come from behind the dash in the canbus harness box, but are still very audible.

2 minor issues I've noticed
1) The volume is fairly loud for the lowest setting when in Radio. (fixed by turning off LOUD feature)
2) GPS volume could be a little louder on max volume settings (fixed see below)

GPS Volume fixed by adding this to the sys file in the root folder:

[sound]
os_volume="250"
sound_volume="150"
voice_volume="250"
dynamic_volume_type="1"
dynamic_volume_voicemaxspeed="0"
dynamic_volume_voice_volume_max="63"
dynamic_volume_minspeed="80"
os_muted="0"
Attached Images

Last edited by Scottycs; 07-29-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just posted about this on the Dynavin N6 thread....you are free to buy whatever you like but keep in mind you get what you pay for....and there is a reason those threads got deleted....quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvc520 View Post
jeff,

why dynavin and not Eonon though?
$699 vs. $350
I believe these two units are probably similar, so why should I go with Dynavin?
Not similar at all.....read the Dynavin N6 thread.

Dynavin has a bunch of audio related stuff that is better, 24 bit D/A converter, time alignment, 4volt outputs, EQ, etc...

Canbus and vehicle related functions like PDC support and display, OBC display, button lighting that dims, selectable automatic screen dimming, car error warning tones to replace those lost when the stock head unit is removed, PDC tones, etc...

Logic 7 MOST compatibility....

Cosmetic and functional things that arise from the redesigned N6 form, larger screen, proper fit at the bottom, included button relocator. Dim-able button lighting that is the right color and brightness.

Local Sales, service and warranty....this one is huge....just read how things are going with the knock off units when they are DOA. Good luck with that!

Licensed navigation software!!!!!!!! Much of the price difference is right here....we could sell a lot cheaper too if we were willing to pirate the nav software... But thats not how we do things.

Not to mention functional things like a iPod interface that actually works, Bluetooth audio streaming track info, album art in iPod/sd/USB, support for diversity antennas, etc....

I can keep going but I think you get the point...All of the above costs money....and frankly Its my opinion you get what you pay for. These "knock off" units you bring up might be comparable to a Dynavin from a few generations ago, but are not comparable at all to the current offerings.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info, but I was hoping to get an unbiased review. I find it hard to believe no one here has this unit.

I have done a lot of research on the Dynavin, and have also seen negative reviews. I am buying for the OEM look and most likely will do nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
I just posted about this on the Dynavin N6 thread....you are free to buy whatever you like but keep in mind you get what you pay for....and there is a reason those threads got deleted....quote:

Not similar at all.....read the Dynavin N6 thread.

Dynavin has a bunch of audio related stuff that is better, 24 bit D/A converter, time alignment, 4volt outputs, EQ, etc...

Canbus and vehicle related functions like PDC support and display, OBC display, button lighting that dims, selectable automatic screen dimming, car error warning tones to replace those lost when the stock head unit is removed, PDC tones, etc...

Logic 7 MOST compatibility....

Cosmetic and functional things that arise from the redesigned N6 form, larger screen, proper fit at the bottom, included button relocator. Dim-able button lighting that is the right color and brightness.

Local Sales, service and warranty....this one is huge....just read how things are going with the knock off units when they are DOA. Good luck with that!

Licensed navigation software!!!!!!!! Much of the price difference is right here....we could sell a lot cheaper too if we were willing to pirate the nav software... But thats not how we do things.

Not to mention functional things like a iPod interface that actually works, Bluetooth audio streaming track info, album art in iPod/sd/USB, support for diversity antennas, etc....

I can keep going but I think you get the point...All of the above costs money....and frankly Its my opinion you get what you pay for. These "knock off" units you bring up might be comparable to a Dynavin from a few generations ago, but are not comparable at all to the current offerings.

Last edited by Scottycs; 03-23-2015 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...o-dynavin.html

Were you just going to ask till someone posted what you wanted to hear?

If you're buying on price, take the chance and report back. There might be a good reason why there's a lack of replys on the Eonon. It's cheap chinese crap at cheap chinese prices. Then you can tell us whether or not it's worth it.

You're going to find negative reviews about both. So it comes down to either take a chance, or don't.

edit:
For what it's worth, there's also a company called Hualingan putting out a similar looking product as well. Pics show a fit that isn't flush with the dash, but hey, it's probably another cheap option as well.

I will say that for the moment, there's a U.S. based distributor here for the Dynavin that looks to have an active history on various BMW related forums. English based help can be huge, but again, it's your $$ to spend as you please.

Last edited by Wongway; 07-07-2014 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

I saw that some post, but believe that is a different version. Just like Dynavin, there are a lot of negative posts and a few positive posts. I would just like to minimize my losses, and don't feel the dynavin is worth double the eonon. I'll order it and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...o-dynavin.html

Were you just going to ask till someone posted what you wanted to hear?

If you're buying on price, take the chance and report back. There might be a good reason why there's a lack of replys on the Eonon. It's cheap chinese crap at cheap chinese prices. Then you can tell us whether or not it's worth it.

You're going to find negative reviews about both. So it comes down to either take a chance, or don't.

edit:
For what it's worth, there's also a company called Hualingan putting out a similar looking product as well. Pics show a fit that isn't flush with the dash, but hey, it's probably another cheap option as well.

I will say that for the moment, there's a U.S. based distributor here for the Dynavin that looks to have an active history on various BMW related forums. English based help can be huge, but again, it's your $$ to spend as you please.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
ShaverZBT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M440ix Coupe

Garage List
I was on the fence about these units as well. However, if I am to buy one it will, be a Dynavin. The interface is better (and being updated this month). Also, the fit and finish of the unit is so much better. It actually fits where the Eonon unit sticks out a bit on the bottom and there is no way to fix it.
BMWCCA Member #483927
San Diego Chapter
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
edvc520
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaverZBT View Post
I was on the fence about these units as well. However, if I am to buy one it will, be a Dynavin. The interface is better (and being updated this month). Also, the fit and finish of the unit is so much better. It actually fits where the Eonon unit sticks out a bit on the bottom and there is no way to fix it.
I believe Dynavin has the same fitment issue. Both units require shaving the side tabs on the climate control panel. The bottom would stick out if you don't shave it
I had the first gen Dynavin on my E90 before, and now I have the Eonon 5165. The fit and finish look the same to me. Eonon 5165 seem to have more features than the first gen dynavin though.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvc520 View Post
I believe Dynavin has the same fitment issue. Both units require shaving the side tabs on the climate control panel. The bottom would stick out if you don't shave it
I had the first gen Dynavin on my E90 before, and now I have the Eonon 5165. The fit and finish look the same to me. Eonon 5165 seem to have more features than the first gen dynavin though.
No, the new Dynavin N6 is revamped in a way that allows it to fit correctly at the bottom, read the N6 thread for all the new info http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993447

As I said before, these other brands are not compatible to a Dynavin....not a current one at least. Read through the thread and you will see that it's not my "bias", it's a fact. Now the knock offs are cheap....so if that's all that matters to you then fine, maybe it's for you. But if you want it to work well (or at all!), that is another story.

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-07-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
jeffb335
Rep

my experience is based on the thousands of customers and forum members I have interacted with over the last 5 years across many forums, car models, and product generations. There are literally thousands of pages of discussion about dynavin, eonon, and many other brands on other forums. And yes Ive experienced dozens, maybe even hundreds of these types of units (there have been many over the years under many names). Obviously you have the wrong idea about me, my business, and what I do here on the forums, and if you dont appreciate my advice and view it as "sales propaganda" Im bowing out. Good luck.

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-07-2014 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
jeffb335
Rep

I know I said I was done with this thread but if you call me out I guess ill answer.....

You are looking at old info on the dynavin, the fit is one of the things that has changed with the new units:

There is no eonon info here because the oem style replacement units (including the dynavins) have never taken off in the E90 platform....probably because they have not looked very good, and there are multiple integration issues that have scared a lot of people off. BUT there are endless pages on other forums about the various units....you just need to get out of the E90 world, e46fanatics, bimmerforums, etc... I count 5 active threads right now just on the first page of fanatics....

Yes all of these units are made in china...EVERYTHING is manufactured in china now days. That is fairly meaningless to the quality of the unit. But WHO is developing it and where? That is far more relevant.

The difference is not all in the plastic, the metal, the circuitry (although they are quite different) The biggest difference is in how their business works. Dynavin has a group of dealers all over the world so you can get local sales and support, service, etc... From the very beginning of these 6 years ago feedback from these dealers has gone back into the product to make it better, smoother, more integrated, more refined. Dynavins were the first of this kind of unit and were the only ones available for a long time. Eventually copys came along and now they have had to up their game. The new N6 units are 2 years in the making and are being tested in cars in multiple parts of the world (mine is one of them) so that customers are not beta testers, they get a finished product. The "china direct" manufacturers are NOTHING like this. Read some of the other threads, that post above from xoutpost is pretty typical. They manufacture a production run, ship it out to customers, and wait to see what is wrong/doesnt work. Then correct it on the next production run. As for the people who had the problems.....oh well! Moving on! For a lot of guys you will see that even with all those problems "cheap" outweighs "good" and they are happy enough. And thats fine. Its just not the way WE like to do business.

So my issue with your original post was not that I think you should not get an eonon.....my issue is that you lumped it in with what we do with dynavin....and particularly with the new units, and they ARE NOT even close to the same.

By the way, as a side note..... Ive found an unfortunate irony over the last few years, especially since the D99+ dynavins came out.

The more trouble a product has the more forum posts are made about it....customers trying to work out issues, general complaining, etc...all the posts create forum traffic, google finds it, etc... It keeps the threads active, on page one of the forums, and in the public eye. Ever heard the old saying that "any kind of publicity is good publicity"....?

Well the since the Dynavin D99+ units came out and all the FAQs we put out there answered all the questions, fewer people have reason to look for answer and they dont post as much anymore! So the threads drop down the forums, and we get less publicity, and we sell less! While problematic products like the subject of this thread get giant threads going as people search for fixes to their issues, they stay in the public eye, and they sell MORE.....

Uggghh....

Look, buy whatever you want, Im just trying to get the info out there so that people can see the whole picture accurately and make informed decisions. You took offense to me giving my opinoin and I get it, you dont know me or my business, but if you read my stuff you will see im the most honest guy you are going to meet. Im a BMW enthusiast, a car audio guy, and heavy forum user from way back, who fell into a business that brings all that together. I didnt create this business 5 years ago to SELL you guys on these things, I created it to give you a good honest place to go where you didnt have to wire money to china and cross your fingers. A lot has changed since then but my basic purpose here is still the same.

Lets just drop it, enough thread jacking, ill be done here and maybe you can get the answers you are looking for.

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-07-2014 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Eh, actually scottyc, he did provide info on things the dynavin had that the eonon didn't.

Quote:
All pictures I've seen of the eonon and huawhatever all show fitment issues where the bottom edges don't fit flush. I did note that it's probably because in this case the dynavin doesn't use a CD/DVD unit anymore so that probably allows it to squeeze just a bit better fitment.

Last edited by Wongway; 07-07-2014 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

I think it is pretty clear why it doesn't fit. The AC controls need to be shaved down on the edges. I don't think anyone is buying a Eonon, Dynavin, or whatever because of the high end audio features....

I am waiting on the new Dynavin to come out before i order one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Eh, actually scottyc, he did provide info on things the dynavin had that the eonon didn't.

All pictures I've seen of the eonon and huawhatever all show fitment issues where the bottom edges don't fit flush. I did note that it's probably because in this case the dynavin doesn't use a CD/DVD unit anymore so that probably allows it to squeeze just a bit better fitment.

Last edited by Scottycs; 07-07-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
I think it is pretty clear why it doesn't fit. The AC controls need to be shaved down on the edges. I don't think anyone is buying a Eonon, Dynavin, or whatever because of the high end audio features....

I am waiting on the new Dynavin to come out before i order one or the other.
Read the N6 thread and I think you will find that most people on this forum would disagree with you, decent audio features and hardware has been sorely lacking in this type of product for a long time. Its not super high end....just better than what has been in this space before, and more comparable to the oem parts its replacing. Especially in the case of the logic 7 system. Its a very nice setup for the casual user in an otherwise stock setup and sufficient enough for the high end user with aftermarket equipment.

The HVAC controls have to have their "ears" shaved down regardless of what unit you are using or how it fits. The reason most units (and double din kits) dont fit at the bottom is because of the depth of the HVAC controls, take the stock parts out and its obvious, when you put a new head unit in the HVAC controls have to be moved down....and this necessitates that they also move out.

As 'Wongway' correctly said Dynavin addressed this with the new N6 by getting rid of the physical disc drive, thus freeing up some real estate on the face to make everything fit better.

Last edited by jeffb335; 07-08-2014 at 12:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
Wongway
Captain
Rep

Scottycs, for the time being, the only thing that might hold me back from replacing the stock headunit, would be that nothing seems to interface directly with the factory SiriusXM unit.

Outside of that, (of which I might rethink anyways) I'd try the Dynavin myself, since to date, the N6 unit looks like it might be the closest in retaining stock features while still enhancing or bettering what was stock and still adding things like NAV if the vehicle didn't have it included. Personally, I'd appreciate better audio quality features as well since that can potentially lower install costs too (no need for an MS-8 or equivalent).

So in my case, yeah I'd be the exception to your 'noone would buy it for the high end audio features' bit.

Either way, I'm not in the market (yet?) so don't listen to me jabber... spend your $$ as you see fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:24 AM   #15
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Aren't these the units where they couldn't even spell Seven correctly on one of the buttons? I think that alone pretty much tells me about as much as I need in regards to their QC process, or lack therof.
      07-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
daz215
Rep
Drives: E90 SE

I have just installed this unit. Not happy at all. Sound is flat and tinny. The standard sub's don't seem to be working at all (I have base system). There was no instructions that came with the unit just a youtube video I found myself. Fitting was an absolute nightmare! The HVAC didn't fit into the bezel without trimming the Eonon bezel too! Also the clips that hold the HVAC in had to be broken to take it out. None of the settings hold on the memory so when you turn off the ignition the MPG turns into L/KM etc. I've tried getting in touch via the website to no avail. I've just opened a case via PayPal so hopefully will be able to return it! On a plus side the iPod controls, steering wheel controls and bluetooth work great!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

You will definitely need to do some trimming to make it fit. Also, I believe you need to wire a constant 12v to retain your settings. I am buying one from a forum member and will report back. Most likely will buy the N6 when it comes out too.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
daz215
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs View Post
You will definitely need to do some trimming to make it fit. Also, I believe you need to wire a constant 12v to retain your settings. I am buying one from a forum member and will report back. Most likely will buy the N6 when it comes out too.
Yes the sides will need to be trimmed, bit I also had to trim some out of the top where the LCD screen is, there are 2 tabs that should locate to hold the HVAC but they're miles out. The 12v constant feed I kind of gathered but why not say so in the manual? And they could have been kind enough to point out which wire is the feed since the only 2 wires with open ends are "SW1" and "SW2" which the manual says are steering wheel controls.... I dont want to sound harsh on the unit but if your not prepared to butcher everything to make it fit, then this isn't the unit for you! or maybe I just got a defect.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I'll report once I get the unit in.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #20
daz215
Rep

Let me know if your sub woofers work under the seats because I cant get mine to work at all. With sounds coming from just the 2 front door speakers my music sounds horrendous
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

Pics. Installed yesterday, it was fairily straight forward, all plug in play. I routed the GPS antenna under the A pillar and it works perfectly. All steering wheel buttons work, the voice command now MUTES the system. Overall, I am very happy for under $300 out of pocket! Interface looks great!

2 minor issues I've noticed
1) The volume is fairly loud for the lowest setting when in Radio. (fixed by turning off LOUD feature)
2) GPS volume could be a little louder on max volume settings (fixed see below)
Attached Images

Last edited by Scottycs; 07-20-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #22
Scottycs
Banned
United_States
Rep

GPS Volume fixed by adding this to the sys file in the root folder:

[sound]
os_volume="250"
sound_volume="150"
voice_volume="250"