E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Noisy Hawk HPS 5.0

08-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Noisy Hawk HPS 5.0

Whats up guys wanted to see what you guys think of my current situation.

I swapped pads and rotors all around, I used R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. First I must say I am happy with the performance of my setup and the very minimal brake dust I see but they get pretty noisy which is what Hawk specifically says they dont do. I did break them in correctly as well.

The noise comes on once the pads get hot but what I find the strangest is that it doesn't make noise every time I apply the brake it is intermittent.

An Indy told me that I would have to live with the noise as thats just how they are or get different pads.

Any thoughts?

03 330XI - FK Coils, AFE Stage 1 CAI, EU2 Tune, Headers, Straight Pipes, Mtech 2 Front w/molded Aqray Lip, Mtech 2 rear, CSL Style Trunk, GTR Style Hood
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
Whats up guys wanted to see what you guys think of my current situation.

I swapped pads and rotors all around, I used R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. First I must say I am happy with the performance of my setup and the very minimal brake dust I see but they get pretty noisy which is what Hawk specifically says they dont do. I did break them in correctly as well.

The noise comes on once the pads get hot but what I find the strangest is that it doesn't make noise every time I apply the brake it is intermittent.

An Indy told me that I would have to live with the noise as thats just how they are or get different pads.

Any thoughts?
Try contacting Hawk and let them know what's going on. They do have a warranty.
      08-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Where are you getting noise? Front only? Rear only? Both?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Where are you getting noise? Front only? Rear only? Both?
front only, im going to be doing coilovers and some steering work soon and when I do ill grease up behind the pads and change up the hardware. I will report back.

03 330XI - FK Coils, AFE Stage 1 CAI, EU2 Tune, Headers, Straight Pipes, Mtech 2 Front w/molded Aqray Lip, Mtech 2 rear, CSL Style Trunk, GTR Style Hood
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Did you apply the supplied grease to the back of the pads and edges where the contact the calipers? That is a common cause of high-frequency squealing.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
Did you apply the supplied grease to the back of the pads and edges where the contact the calipers? That is a common cause of high-frequency squealing.
+1

I've had Hawk HPS, 5.0 and HP+ the only ones that make noise are HP+ and that was only at slow speeds and typically when they were cold (normal for HP+).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
limpiabota809
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartaEvolution View Post
Thanks for the heads up, behind the pad no that is my next thing to do when the coilovers are getting done.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
SpartaEvolution
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E36 328racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
Thanks for the heads up, behind the pad no that is my next thing to do when the coilovers are getting done.
If you can't find the little grease packet, you can also use 'disc brake quiet' which should be available at any parts store.
Appreciate 0