E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Housing Gasket Cover Change

02-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
bon1979
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Oil Housing Gasket Cover Change

I just changed the oil filter housing gasket and I could NOT find a socket small enough to get onto the bottom bolt without removing this hose.

I'm going to attach a photo and I hope that someone can clarify for me that the fluid running through this hose is coolant. There is an arrow pointing to the hose that I had to remove to get to the bolt on the oil filter housing.

I was VERY VERY careful that no fluids were leaking at the same time - to avoid them mixing, but what I assume to be coolant is ALL OVER everything - is that going to cause some problems? (belts and such)

Thinking I could save $500 and do this myself maybe wasn't the best idea.... thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Yes that is a coolant hose. I wouldn't expect any issue with a splash of it getting in the area, but you'd be wise to clean everything up as best you can at this point while you have access. Plus, you'll want to observe to be sure the leak is fixed.

If you still have access, you might consider replacing the rubber o-ring that seals that coolant hose. If not, you're probably fine but it's just something to be aware of.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Oh cmon don't worry hah you're doing graet DIYing and saving 500$

Yes that is coolant.

I had some on my belts coolant isn't that much of a problem. If worried just spray it down with water or something and let dry a bit.

It's not like if some liquid touches the belt it will slip right off. I had that mindset aswell but I learned that is not the case so not need to worry IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

You'll be fine getting coolant on the belts, just make sure to rinse it of ASAP with water. Better way is to use a piece of plastic/plastic bag and create a cover/channel/funnel over the belt/pulleys for the water to drain right into a bucket/container, that's how I do it and avoid a mess.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
bon1979
Rep

Awesome!! Thanks so much all of you. I have everything cleaned up and put back together. I haven't started it yet. Guess that is the real test, and then making sure there isn't any more leaking.

One additional question - what am I going to do about all the fluid (oil and coolant) that is laying in the plastic underlining of my car?
I have ramps I could drive it on and take that off and clean it all out, but it's all going to run backwards when I do that.... any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If anyone reads this Thread...

Just drain the coolant and oil first. It is stupid to try it with the engine full of fluids.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
bon1979
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Just drain the coolant and oil first. It is stupid to try it with the engine full of fluids.
If only I'd been that smart but hey - I'm learning right.

So - I need to drain the coolant now, because the ring on that hose is in fact leaking.

And still figure out what to do about the other fluid laying around.

This is why my husband says not all my ideas are good ones. Also why I'm doing this while he is out of town!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon1979 View Post
If only I'd been that smart but hey - I'm learning right.

So - I need to drain the coolant now, because the ring on that hose is in fact leaking.

And still figure out what to do about the other fluid laying around.

This is why my husband says not all my ideas are good ones. Also why I'm doing this while he is out of town!
I drained both oil and coolant before starting the job and pulling off the top rad hose and the block to T start still spilled a good amount of coolant.

Although I had drain the second part at the water pump inlet compared to TIS procedure that says to drain it from T stat lower rad hose so maybe that's why.

For the fluid, you return it to your ecocentre. But you're in the USA so probably auto parts store will take it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
bon1979
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Yes that is a coolant hose. I wouldn't expect any issue with a splash of it getting in the area, but you'd be wise to clean everything up as best you can at this point while you have access. Plus, you'll want to observe to be sure the leak is fixed.

If you still have access, you might consider replacing the rubber o-ring that seals that coolant hose. If not, you're probably fine but it's just something to be aware of.
I assume it is a special o-ring? It is in fact leaking.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. Mine had expanded so it wouldn't go in smoothly and it cut it eventually. I was able to get a similarly sized O ring at the hardware store nearby to then be able to drive at the dealer and get the right one. It was only dripping drips and I had that 1$ o ring in there for like 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post

With BMW that's always a safe assumption. It's probably something in stock at local dealers though, and to me it's worth a small premium to know that you've gotten the "Genuine BMW" level of quality. I've seen a lot of parts from many non-OEMs and it's hit or miss. Sometimes worth a risk, but not with something so cheap and such a pain to deal with if it goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

But yeah you should have drained the oil and coolant first. It is definitely going to make a mess when you go to remove(or even lift the front of the car up) the lower engine cover. I'd make sure to throw some rags/towels/kitty litter under there before attempting to lift it or remove the cover, it is definitely going to make a mess.

Last edited by IllSic_Design; 02-15-2019 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
bon1979
Rep

Ok so as soon as I can figure out draining the coolant (another you tube video) I'll get the ring out and go to auto zone or advanced auto or the hardware store and find a temporary replacement. BMW isn't too far away for me to go get a new "original".

I'm assuming I can drive up on the ramps and get under it to drain?

I would rather learn and do this stuff myself when I can. My friends are all losing their minds, I guess they are used to used vehicles that have never had a problem. and the fact that I'm tearing it apart on my own I guess is a big deal ??
I'm learning this car wasn't the best purchase but I'll do what I can to correct it. I've always wanted it and it took me many many years to get it sadly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well you might as well just drain the coolant from the hose you need to replace the o-ring on. Otherwise you are going to drain way more coolant than necessary and have to buy more than needed. If you want to know where the drain is though it is on the bottom drivers side of the radiator.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #15
bon1979
Rep

Ok - So I took the hose back off , and the condition isn't good.
There is a piece of the hose that is broken, I was able to get it out.
Also. the coolant running out of the block is the right color however it is cloudy in the hose, and dirty looking.... I'm kind of freaking out at this point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #16
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear, that is kind of a common issue when replacing the oil filter housing gasket. You either need to get a new hose, or cut the clamp off of that hose and remove the plastic end end get a new metal one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-N20-N26...bTy:rk:10:pf:0

I would probably remove that hose and dump any of the crap/broken pieces out if you are going to reuse the hose.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #17
bon1979
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Sorry to hear, that is kind of a common issue when replacing the oil filter housing gasket. You either need to get a new hose, or cut the clamp off of that hose and remove the plastic end end get a new metal one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-N20-N26...bTy:rk:10:pf:0

I would probably remove that hose and dump any of the crap/broken pieces out if you are going to reuse the hose.

Oh boy - where is the other end of that hose going?

Should I just buy a whole new hose that already has everything with it? I'm obviously not going any where else tonight... what a mess.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
bon1979
Rep

Uhmmmm Guys - why would there be so much oil in the coolant? Its coming right of the point where the hose connects.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #19
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The engine block has oil and coolant ports pretty close to each other right where the housing bolts up. Since you didn't drain the oil(and I'm guessing drain the oil filter housing either) you probably got oil into the coolant port that is just a little farther inside that hole.

EDIT: The other end of that hose is connected to the thermostat at the front, bottom, passenger side of the engine. If you can find the hose locally would be easier and quicker to just get a new hose, I have found that O-reilly auto usually has one(in two different cases in two different cities)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #20
bon1979
Rep

Quote:
The engine block has oil and coolant ports pretty close to each other right where the housing bolts up. Since you didn't drain the oil(and I'm guessing drain the oil filter housing either) you probably got oil into the coolant port that is just a little farther inside that hole.

EDIT: The other end of that hose is connected to the thermostat at the front, bottom, passenger side of the engine. If you can find the hose locally would be easier and quicker to just get a new hose, I have found that O-reilly auto usually has one(in two different cases in two different cities)

Ok. - so what do I do now?
I read the gasket could not be properly seated, should i take that off again? what about more fluids mixing?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #21
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I doubt the gasket isn't properly seated unless you really messed up some how. The gasket sits inside a groove and also has little nubs to hold it in place, so very unlikely its not seated properly.

I don't know how much oil you got in the coolant port, but you should flush the cooling system once or twice to make sure to get any oil out.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #22
bon1979
Rep

Quote:
I doubt the gasket isn't properly seated unless you really messed up some how. The gasket sits inside a groove and also has little nubs to hold it in place, so very unlikely its not seated properly.

I don't know how much oil you got in the coolant port, but you should flush the cooling system once or twice to make sure to get any oil out.

Can I use this until I can get the hoses completely replaced?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PVIF1NYU&psc=1
Appreciate 0