E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Logic 7 - Optimal EQ settings

07-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #45
Dish
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I just got my E92 yesterday, everything was set flat and I thought it sounded amazing then I found this thread and so far tried Herc's settings....omg!! :rocks:
      07-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #46
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

I'm going to try it too.

Thanks.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #47
drphil71
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

tried it and it sounds great.
      07-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #48
milehigh5000
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BS 328i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc View Post
milehigh... did you not try the settings I listed in post #3 above? Click POST #3 to see them.

If the bass is too high for you with these settings, just move the 80 & 200 bars down a notch, and maybe even the master bass setting from +4 to +3. (Actually I currently have my master bass setting at +5).

Crank this and cruise, brotha

H
i fully endorse your settings man wow
      08-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #49
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

how come i don't have 80hz, only 100?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 03:06 AM   #50
bud001
That Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330i (E90)  [0.00]
I am going to try those settings. Thanks Herc.

For those who have iPods, i have a question: sometimes my songs (even those i buy from iTunes) i have a problem with volume fluctuation (the volume between songs are inconsistent) How do you solve that?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #51
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
how come i don't have 80hz, only 100?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=33

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #52
Ian335i
BMW Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud001 View Post
I am going to try those settings. Thanks Herc.

For those who have iPods, i have a question: sometimes my songs (even those i buy from iTunes) i have a problem with volume fluctuation (the volume between songs are inconsistent) How do you solve that?
+1 Good question!
'03 E46 325i TiAg/Grey - retired 1/08
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #53
Herc
First Bimmer!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 TiAg 328i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dish View Post
I just got my E92 yesterday, everything was set flat and I thought it sounded amazing then I found this thread and so far tried Herc's settings....omg!! :rocks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil71 View Post
tried it and it sounds great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh5000 View Post
i fully endorse your settings man wow
Hey guys, I moved recently and haven't been able to keep up w/ e90post, so I'm glad to come back and see some of you have enjoyed the settings I use as much as I have. I always use a W pattern whenever I can (learned that from my first year roommate at UW). One of my few contributions to e90post!

Keep thumpin' the Bimmerz

H

Step | Sport | Premium | Black Leatherette | Brushed Aluminum Trim | Comfort Access | Adaptive Bi-Xenons | Chrome Kidneys | 30% Tint | OEM Alarm
Summers: Stock 161 runflat setup; Winters: M5 reps on Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #54
bmrowe
Private
Rep
Drives: 740i black/black

Usually when setting EQ values you bring an SPL meter into the car with a bunch of test frequencies to measure on a cd. You then play back the cd and at each track adjust the particular EQ frequency so that you end up with a linear flat graph. When you start creating a W or wave shape you start changing the nature of the music. If you are boosting the lows or highs, the mids will sound washed out or less spectacular than the highs/lows. This is the way I have set up every home theater I have ever installed, and the same way I went about calibrating my car stereo. Do people just do this by ear instead of using equipment and tools?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 10:51 PM   #55
Ian335i
BMW Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post
Usually when setting EQ values you bring an SPL meter into the car with a bunch of test frequencies to measure on a cd. You then play back the cd and at each track adjust the particular EQ frequency so that you end up with a linear flat graph. When you start creating a W or wave shape you start changing the nature of the music. If you are boosting the lows or highs, the mids will sound washed out or less spectacular than the highs/lows. This is the way I have set up every home theater I have ever installed, and the same way I went about calibrating my car stereo. Do people just do this by ear instead of using equipment and tools?
Well what you say makes sense.....so let me ask......what're your settings?
'03 E46 325i TiAg/Grey - retired 1/08
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #56
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
You are clearly an audiophile. I agree that's the whole point of equalizing and is the reason it's called an "equalizer" to begin with. But we're not setting up studio reference monitors or anything, just listening to music during a drive, so I think it's okay to tune it to individual taste by ear.
      08-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #57
SteveInNC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
You are clearly an audiophile. I agree that's the whole point of equalizing and is the reason it's called an "equalizer" to begin with. But we're not setting up studio reference monitors or anything, just listening to music during a drive, so I think it's okay to tune it to individual taste by ear.
Besides, as soon as you open the windows, or the sunroof, or add a passenger, you totally change the environment, reflection sources, etc. so you ideally need multiple stored equalization curves. Some aftermarket radios do (or did) have that capability.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #58
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNC View Post
Besides, as soon as you open the windows, or the sunroof, or add a passenger, you totally change the environment, reflection sources, etc. so you ideally need multiple stored equalization curves. Some aftermarket radios do (or did) have that capability.
LOL. That would be the ultimate audiophile purchase. I'll think about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #59
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterng View Post
I already read that boss. Still, why though?

Last edited by dinkoh; 08-25-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #60
bmrowe
Private
Rep

Quote:
The only realistic concern there is the additional passengers to reflect and absorb sound. Most of my "critical" listening is done windows up and the a/c on minimally. I suppose if we wanted to get really anal about this we could do a bunch of setups with friends and take note of each eq setting for a particular load setup (I believe you could get up to 1+4*3*2 total seating arrangements in a sedan). You could then keep these notes on a notecard and apply the particular setting when you have a particular load for a long enough duration to make it worth the hassle. I think we are nitpicking now though : ). On the other topic, I could post my settings, but as in home theater there is no reason to believe that one setting will be anywhere near adequate for another. It is a really simple DIY if you run to Radioshack and get an SPL meter and burn a copy of a reference cd. I could write up a DIY but I am not sure there is nearly enough interest.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #61
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only realistic concern there is the additional passengers to reflect and absorb sound. Most of my "critical" listening is done windows up and the a/c on minimally. I suppose if we wanted to get really anal about this we could do a bunch of setups with friends and take note of each eq setting for a particular load setup (I believe you could get up to 1+4*3*2 total seating arrangements in a sedan). You could then keep these notes on a notecard and apply the particular setting when you have a particular load for a long enough duration to make it worth the hassle. I think we are nitpicking now though : ). On the other topic, I could post my settings, but as in home theater there is no reason to believe that one setting will be anywhere near adequate for another. It is a really simple DIY if you run to Radioshack and get an SPL meter and burn a copy of a reference cd. I could write up a DIY but I am not sure there is nearly enough interest.

Hmm.. my SPL only goes to 60-120... must be a cheapo one.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #62
bmrowe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm.. my SPL only goes to 60-120... must be a cheapo one.
That is all you need. All the meter will do is determine how loud the source is. You want the source to have the same db reading at every frequency so that you can create a flat curve during playback. 85db or so would be a good base point to try and adjust everything to.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #63
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is all you need. All the meter will do is determine how loud the source is. You want the source to have the same db reading at every frequency so that you can create a flat curve during playback. 85db or so would be a good base point to try and adjust everything to.
Cool. Is there any place to download a reference CD?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #64
bmrowe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Is there any place to download a reference CD?
Well I have had mine forever and paid for it to insure that it was fairly accurate. I did a quick google search and came up with:
http://www.wavecor.co.uk/testdisk.html

that looks like you could easily make your own disc.

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #65
SteveInNC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

If you're going to go to this much trouble, you might as well do it right... RoomEqWizard is a free java-based program for your computer/laptop that will generate test signals for you, and plot the resulting amplitudes. Since it is java-based, it is also cross-platform. You tie it directly into a Radio Shack meter or high-end microphone. As part of the initial setup, the program has you run a loopback on your computer audio in/out so it can compensate for biases in your electronics.

Note that the typical Radio Shack meter needs to have a compensation curve applied because it's not the most linear device. Somewhere on the above site, they either have or point to compensation curves.

I'm not affiliated with the above in any way, other than having used their program to tweak my home audio system.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #66
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're going to go to this much trouble, you might as well do it right... RoomEqWizard is a free java-based program for your computer/laptop that will generate test signals for you, and plot the resulting amplitudes. Since it is java-based, it is also cross-platform. You tie it directly into a Radio Shack meter or high-end microphone. As part of the initial setup, the program has you run a loopback on your computer audio in/out so it can compensate for biases in your electronics.

Note that the typical Radio Shack meter needs to have a compensation curve applied because it's not the most linear device. Somewhere on the above site, they either have or point to compensation curves.

I'm not affiliated with the above in any way, other than having used their program to tweak my home audio system.
Very cool. I'll try it out.
Appreciate 0