E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Auto-Vox back up camera, dash cam, and lane departure assist. (digital rear view mirr

08-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #23
TheTransporter
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashan90 View Post
It's not, it's connected to the rear reverse lights. When those kick on the back up camera kicks on. You can use the mirror as a digital mirror as well when your driving for a wide angle rear view mirror when driving normally
you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the way you wired it in the trunk lid would you?
I have a similar dash cam / back up mirror. Only the Parking Assist only comes on when the car is on but the engine is not running (press START with foot off brake) and the car is in reverse.
When the motor is running (press START foot on brake) and i put it in reverse, no parking assist.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:44 AM   #24
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
Quote:
It's not, it's connected to the rear reverse lights. When those kick on the back up camera kicks on. You can use the mirror as a digital mirror as well when your driving for a wide angle rear view mirror when driving normally
you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the way you wired it in the trunk lid would you?
I have a similar dash cam / back up mirror. Only the Parking Assist only comes on when the car is on but the engine is not running (press START with foot off brake) and the car is in reverse.
When the motor is running (press START foot on brake) and i put it in reverse, no parking assist.
Yeah I saw your original post. The wiring is just as simple as it sounds man. When I routed the wiring for the back up camera to the trunk lid, there is another wire that goes into the the reverse light. Make sure you hook the wire onto the positive power lead. Other than that you really shouldn't have any issues. Have you tried playing with it a bit?
      08-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #25
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Our OEM mirrors are really loose especially in hot climates. Does the weight of this add-on make the mirror droop when driving over bumps? This is the only reason I haven't done this already. I'm always driving blind when backing up at night because of the tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #26
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
Our OEM mirrors are really loose especially in hot climates. Does the weight of this add-on make the mirror droop when driving over bumps? This is the only reason I haven't done this already. I'm always driving blind when backing up at night because of the tint.
No way my oem mirror is the most solid in all cars I've driven. My e46 and e39 are the same way. If yours droops you need to take a look at it
      08-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #27
TheTransporter
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Grand Coupe

Quote:
I live in SW Florida and my OEM mirror is as loose as a $5 hooker. The back up mirror definitely causes it to dip. I just put a zip tie around the ball joint to act as a collar and stopped the dipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #28
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I live in SW Florida and my OEM mirror is as loose as a $5 hooker. The back up mirror definitely causes it to dip. I just put a zip tie around the ball joint to act as a collar and stopped the dipping.
:

You should definitely replace the mirror man. I'm sure you can find one for cheap either online or at pick n pull
      08-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #29
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Yeah my car has spent it's whole life in South Texas and my mirror is really tight.
Jashan90145.00
      08-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #30
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it depends on trim level? The rain-sensor ones still have a ball joint but there's a little more build to it — compared to the basic window mount (again, depending on year/trim)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #31
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
Where did you tap for the reverse lights?
Here is a document I use to help tap into different wires.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 3er (E90) 2007 Direct Wiring.pdf (118.1 KB, 214 views)

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
9krpmrx8808.00
      08-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #32
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

ehh, I prefer the OEM look. You have an iDrive screen, why not just retrofit a back up camera that feeds right into iDrive? Euro E9x models had option for back up camera, USA models had that silly radar backup sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:30 AM   #33
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
ehh, I prefer the OEM look. You have an iDrive screen, why not just retrofit a back up camera that feeds right into iDrive? Euro E9x models had option for back up camera, USA models had that silly radar backup sensor.
Some of us don't have Nav. So this is a good experiment/purchase if only for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 02:35 AM   #34
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Some of us don't have Nav. So this is a good experiment/purchase if only for that reason.
I didn't know that you can retro fit a back up camera right into I drive. My car is 2006 and I don't believe there is an option.
      08-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #35
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

Eeerrr my rear view mirror came loose from the windscreen. (please dont ask how or why). I tried Automotive bubble sided tape it wont hold it. Any idea where I can get the right thing to use please?
      08-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #36
Jashan90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I should get add money shiiiiit
      08-20-2018, 04:41 AM   #37
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I should get add money shiiiiit
Wouldnt be the first time someone posted partner-referral links...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #38
danperson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
That is legit
Appreciate 1
Jashan90145.00
      11-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #39
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hoping Jashan90 or anyone else who has this unit or similar can assist.

Saw a good deal on the X2 and jumped on it. But having issues triggering the reverse camera.

Tapped into fusebox behind the glovebox at Fuse #7 (PDC/Homelink) with an Auto-vox branded add-a-fuse intently for that purpose. Added the stock fuse to the provided 5 amp (so now two fuses in the add-a-fuse).

Everything seems to function, including the rear camera -- but I cannot get it to automatically switch over on reverse. I tapped into the purple and black line that goes into the reverse light on the trunk lid (no ground connection req'd).

For those who don't have the unit, see the attached images for the pieces that were included (with the additional add-a-fuse). The wire with the mini-USB and the red wire is the line that goes from the Auto-vox mirror to the backup camera (also attached). You can see that the camera already has a 5-pin line that connects these two cable runs (which was a PITA to run through the trunk rubber hosing). Red wire is the 12v+ trigger.

I was thinking that perhaps I needed a relay (though my initial thought was that this was only a trigger, so was it really necessary?). I had got a typical relay from Autozone, but perhaps it wasn't quite the right one or functional, as it did not help at all. Tried multiple ground wire taps and chassis points. It's odd because as I read reviews, others with BMWs have seemingly just tapped a single line; or they just lied and had someone figure it out).

A little help?

I can turn it on and use all the functions manually, but no automatically triggered reverse camera turn-on. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #40
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well,well...check your taps. In the past, I've seen issues where the taps have had poor connections because they were too loose. This one was the opposite: Even with a 18-22 tap, the wire was forced between the metal crimp, but after careful examination, it had not penetrated the exterior jacket.

Cut a little into the jacket and exposed the wire then recrimped. Works like a charm and I now have reverse lines on.

As a hint on operation, by default the Auto Vox will not turn on when you put it into reverse — the reverse trigger wire only triggers the parking lines. Rather, unless you custom rig the wiring, even their official add-a-fuse wiring kit will turn the device on based on the fuse you use (I used PDC fuse #7). It will default to the mode you had last time, so select the backup camera view-mode before you turn off the car. Then if you enable Drive mode, it will display the rear camera for 60 seconds, then turn it off with only the HUD options. Or turn off Drive mode so it uses the reverse camera the whole time you drive.

So bottom line, Auto Vox X2 works fine by just tapping purple/black reverse light wire.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #41
akk
new
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335xi

So does this rear cam require drilling into the trunk lid? anyone have pics of how it attaches? Amazon has a discount on it right now and im considering getting it but dont want to drill into my trunk lid.
      11-29-2019, 11:59 PM   #42
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akk View Post
So does this rear cam require drilling into the trunk lid? anyone have pics of how it attaches? Amazon has a discount on it right now and im considering getting it but dont want to drill into my trunk lid.
If it's the Autovox ones then they come with mounts for the license plate frame. Looks like it's coming from above but really from plate. At the same time it has some 3M tape on it that you could attach to the deck lid as well.

Now either way you MAY have to drill out a little off the license plate light hole so the wire comes through cleaner. You could smash it in, but sometimes that crimps the wire.
Appreciate 0