E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N47 rattling sound

09-29-2022, 02:39 AM   #1
zka_er93
Registered
Croatia
Rep
Drives: E91 N47

N47 rattling sound

Hello everyone, I need some help.

The car is E91 320d with N47D20C. A few days ago it started with this rattling sound. At first, it sounded like it is coming from the cabin or there is something vibrating in the ventilation system but it was definitely not.

It is loudest on low RPM, especially on idle or when I'm releasing the clutch. When accelerating, from 1000 to 2000 RPM it is random, you can hear it for a second, and then you can't, again you can hear it, and again you can't. There is no kind of intervals, it's just random. Also, the injectors got pretty loud, I don't remember them being this loud before.

This morning when I was recording this video it didn't allow me to go past 2500RPM so I guess he's in limp mode now. I turned it off and haven't started it again.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qR_k4yPeaY
You can clearly hear it at the beginning of the video when I release the clutch.
1:09 is without an engine cover, and 1:38 is with an engine cover.

It's on 210.000KM (125k miles) now, chains were swapped on 175.000KM (110k miles) with a water pump and pulley belt. Oil swaps are on every 5-7k miles. I've never had a problem with this care before and it's been almost 4 years.

Thank You.

EDIT: I just drove it around town, now there is no limit on 2500RPM, and the car goes perfectly fine, no loss of power or anything like that, and not a single error. But the noise is still here, especially between 1000 and 2000 RPM.
I also tried releasing the clutch slowly while having another foot on a brake, to provoke an engine stall. It gets louder the more I release the clutch, a horrible rattling sound.

Last edited by zka_er93; 09-29-2022 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0