E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2009 335, adaptive headlights, how to make them as bright as modern cars?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #23
Liam1106
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: Totaled
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
It honestly took several hours, I did a little here and there over a week in my air conditioned garage.

I used some LED halos from Amazon $68.99 you can specify E92, E90, F30
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These plastic shields from eBay to block the top of the headlight. $27.99 (overpriced, just use vinyl outside the light, it's easier anyway). I put them inside but there was still light escaping high up so I added a carbon fiber vinyl tape outside that matched my hood.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-HEADLIG...72.m2749.l2649

I used these for the white outline of the headlight that turns yellow and gradually goes to one side from Amazon $19.99
https://www.amazon.com/CARLITS-Flexi.../dp/B07K7F7KRS

I got some "Dumdum" sealant. It is the black tar like goo that seals the headlights in the same way the factory did. Use this! The light company used it for a reason, because it seals well and lasts but use plenty of it! It was about $35.00 at Napa auto parts and I have enough for the rest of my life now.


It was about $152.00 for both headlights. I also replaced on lens that was pretty pitted for about $60 and sanded and polished the other one. Probably better to just buy the lenses. Polishing takes a while and you won't get out deep pits or scratches if you have them.

Video of headlight blinking below. Halos don't flash, it was just the video rate that made it look that way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ARP...ew?usp=sharing

Jeeez dude that is sick. Especially with the light strip on the bottom. Got any close up pics? Anything else you can say about the process? Was there coding you had to do to get the strip on the bottom to behave like a turn signal? Iíd like to do the same to my LCI 335 and black out the housing. That looks so dope man
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #24
JonEQuest
Lieutenant
JonEQuest's Avatar
183
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

No coding the strip lights are switchback meaning they light up white then when power is applied to the other wire they go yellow and gradually light up across.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #25
JonEQuest
Lieutenant
JonEQuest's Avatar
183
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Some more photos

Here are a few more pics.
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #26
Liam1106
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: Totaled
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Thatís dope. Looks like it was meant to be there out the factory. Do you have those strips on as Drlís, or is it solely for turn signal purposes? Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #27
JonEQuest
Lieutenant
JonEQuest's Avatar
183
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I wired them to light up white with parking lights, welcome lights, etc. Then the yellow comes on with blinkers. I kept the factor blinker bulb because these are cool but not as attention grabbing (safety) as the stock bulbs. I may change the white to come on with running lights though. Unlocking looks cool as hell as the yellow bars both pulse when I unlock. Then the Halos fade on too.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #28
type-dRew
Lieutenant
type-dRew's Avatar
225
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Newport MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
I wired them to light up white with parking lights, welcome lights, etc. Then the yellow comes on with blinkers. I kept the factor blinker bulb because these are cool but not as attention grabbing (safety) as the stock bulbs. I may change the white to come on with running lights though. Unlocking looks cool as hell as the yellow bars both pulse when I unlock. Then the Halos fade on too.
I dont need all the special things you did, but would you consider modifying lights if they were sent to you?
__________________
PSP 750ic / BMS CP / XHP / xDelete+ / MHD
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #29
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1748
Rep
5,286
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
You can upgrade the projector lenses and add in new bulbs. That is what I did w/ my custom lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #30
type-dRew
Lieutenant
type-dRew's Avatar
225
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Newport MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
You can upgrade the projector lenses and add in new bulbs. That is what I did w/ my custom lights.
That's all I want to do. I don't want to change anything but light output.

Details on what you used? Assuming the lights had to be heated up and taken apart for that
__________________
PSP 750ic / BMS CP / XHP / xDelete+ / MHD
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #31
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1748
Rep
5,286
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
That's all I want to do. I don't want to change anything but light output.

Details on what you used? Assuming the lights had to be heated up and taken apart for that
I had it done for me. Bav Gruppe parts they sell some on ebay etc. or at least they did.

Then I bought high quality HID bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #32
JonEQuest
Lieutenant
JonEQuest's Avatar
183
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
I dont need all the special things you did, but would you consider modifying lights if they were sent to you?
Sorry, I only waste time on my own car as a hobby. I am too busy with my companies to work on someone else's lights. It really is not that hard though. I put the light in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes then when I pulled it out waved the heat gun at the gasket as I lifted the release tabs and it pried apart easily. Then you can unscrew the projector assembly and remove the lens, clean it with a soft cloth and put it back together (I recommend new lenses) and your headlights will look like new. All the work is done in your house with lots of light and AC. My wife loves it (not) when I have a headlight apart on our kitchen island!
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #33
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1748
Rep
5,286
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I agree new out side lens and then you can put one of the protector covers on it if you want for small $$$. I used: https://www.xpel.com/shop/headlight-protection-film
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #34
biz77
Lieutenant
120
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spokane, WA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
Sorry, I only waste time on my own car as a hobby. I am too busy with my companies to work on someone else's lights. It really is not that hard though. I put the light in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes then when I pulled it out waved the heat gun at the gasket as I lifted the release tabs and it pried apart easily. Then you can unscrew the projector assembly and remove the lens, clean it with a soft cloth and put it back together (I recommend new lenses) and your headlights will look like new. All the work is done in your house with lots of light and AC. My wife loves it (not) when I have a headlight apart on our kitchen island!
For you E90/E91 owners, just keep in mind your process is not quite this simple! E92/E93 headlights do not use perma-seal. E90/E91 lights do use perma-seal and are massively more difficult to break in to.

Last edited by biz77; 06-25-2019 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #35
Emilime75
Major
468
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
It honestly took several hours, I did a little here and there over a week in my air conditioned garage.

I used some LED halos from Amazon $68.99 you can specify E92, E90, F30
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These plastic shields from eBay to block the top of the headlight. $27.99 (overpriced, just use vinyl outside the light, it's easier anyway). I put them inside but there was still light escaping high up so I added a carbon fiber vinyl tape outside that matched my hood.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-HEADLIG...72.m2749.l2649

I used these for the white outline of the headlight that turns yellow and gradually goes to one side from Amazon $19.99
https://www.amazon.com/CARLITS-Flexi.../dp/B07K7F7KRS

I got some "Dumdum" sealant. It is the black tar like goo that seals the headlights in the same way the factory did. Use this! The light company used it for a reason, because it seals well and lasts but use plenty of it! It was about $35.00 at Napa auto parts and I have enough for the rest of my life now.


It was about $152.00 for both headlights. I also replaced on lens that was pretty pitted for about $60 and sanded and polished the other one. Probably better to just buy the lenses. Polishing takes a while and you won't get out deep pits or scratches if you have them.

Video of headlight blinking below. Halos don't flash, it was just the video rate that made it look that way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ARP...ew?usp=sharing
That looks great. Wondering how long the halos and strips have been installed? Always leary of how long those things will last and the difficulty factor in replacing them since they're inside the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #36
JonEQuest
Lieutenant
JonEQuest's Avatar
183
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I put them in a couple months ago. LEDs should last a while but who knows.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST