E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2007 335xi rear main help?

06-24-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi blue

2007 335xi rear main help?

I am going to do my rear main this weekend and thought i read somewhere that all the seals you get our 8mm instead of 12 unless old stock
and with 8mm rear main you do not need to use 60.00 locktite and primer..
so ecs and fcp list 90x110x12mm up to 01 2009
and 8 mm is For vehicles with production date from 01/2009
which would mean i can't use the new 8mm seal correct?
i was going to call bmw parts dept and ask?
if i cant use 8mm rear mnain seal anyone do it with red rtv high temp sealant on the two groves your suppose to fill?? thanks
2007 335xi Daw stage 2 old wheel custom 2.25 relocation inlets vrsf alum outlets.Vrsf 5'' stepped intercooler.stage 2 bucket lpfp.BQ tune xhp stage 3 tranny flash.vrsf downpipes modified 3in exhaust.ER charge pipe tial bov.Custom oil cooler..cic retrofit.koni shocks h@r sport spring staggered conti tir
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

I researched the hell out of this one and I ended up putting in the 8mm one (depending on where you look they say opposing things) I'm running a single turbo setup and a stage 3+ clutch, if that has any indication of how it gets driven. That said I only have about 2,000 miles so far without an issue (sorry its not more of a data sample).
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodex m.e. View Post
I researched the hell out of this one and I ended up putting in the 8mm one (depending on where you look they say opposing things) I'm running a single turbo setup and a stage 3+ clutch, if that has any indication of how it gets driven. That said I only have about 2,000 miles so far without an issue (sorry its not more of a data sample).
thanks for reply..
Just so I know what brand did you get??
I was going to get bmw .. thought I read to get elwing one they do not use the recycled rubber
also did you use ant rtv sealant and where did you put it if you did??
I did not buy the tool did you?was going to but figured not hard to put seal in even..
2007 335xi Daw stage 2 old wheel custom 2.25 relocation inlets vrsf alum outlets.Vrsf 5'' stepped intercooler.stage 2 bucket lpfp.BQ tune xhp stage 3 tranny flash.vrsf downpipes modified 3in exhaust.ER charge pipe tial bov.Custom oil cooler..cic retrofit.koni shocks h@r sport spring staggered conti tir
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbimmer View Post
thanks for reply..
Just so I know what brand did you get??
I was going to get bmw .. thought I read to get elwing one they do not use the recycled rubber
also did you use ant rtv sealant and where did you put it if you did??
I did not buy the tool did you?was going to but figured not hard to put seal in even..
I used no sealant and no special tool. I just took my time with a small plastic block and tapped it in lightly all around. When I tapped it all in it tapped it in about 1mm past/recessed into the outer surface of the engine block. I did put oil on the shaft and lightly on the seal OD. I think the one I got was OEM BMW. I typically will use the aftermarket on most things, but this is one of the very few where I was willing to spend the couple bucks just in case. It took me way too long to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I am going to do my rear main this weekend and thought i read somewhere that all the seals you get our 8mm instead of 12 unless old stock
and with 8mm rear main you do not need to use 60.00 locktite and primer..
so ecs and fcp list 90x110x12mm up to 01 2009
and 8 mm is For vehicles with production date from 01/2009
which would mean i can't use the new 8mm seal correct?
i was going to call bmw parts dept and ask?
if i cant use 8mm rear mnain seal anyone do it with red rtv high temp sealant on the two groves your suppose to fill?? thanks
Personally,

I'd rent the tool on-line

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/9560...ental-program/

You are gonna need some sort of lift. Jack stands with the car typically 16 or so inches off the ground won't cut it. You can't get the transmission out from underneath the car.

Quick Jack is your best bet, if don't have two post lift.

I'm not a Huge fan at all regarding the BMW sealant & primer. I have had no luck what so ever with that set up regarding the front crank seal.

The best stuff, at least IMO, is Ultra Grey. It's made for this application. I'd just get a BMW seal and some Ultra Grey. Make sure you lube the crank shaft with some engine oil & a Q-tip.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep

Thanks again guys i have done all my own work on my vehicles..
But have never done rms
I ordered both seals the 8mm and the 12mm will go with the 8mm that has no notches in it ..
I get to oil the inside part of shaft so in slides on easier but the outside part i was gonna use rtv sealant like guy in picture but looked up that gray ultra and will use that instead. and tap it in i/16 past flush..
Or i might rent tool from eeuro i live down road from them depend how much they want..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks again guys i have done all my own work on my vehicles..
But have never done rms
I ordered both seals the 8mm and the 12mm will go with the 8mm that has no notches in it ..
I get to oil the inside part of shaft so in slides on easier but the outside part i was gonna use rtv sealant like guy in picture but looked up that gray ultra and will use that instead. and tap it in i/16 past flush..
Or i might rent tool from eeuro i live down road from them depend how much they want..
With the front main seal, the inside of the seal is just as prone to leak as the outside.

I'd put a bead Ultra Grey around the inside and outside of the seal before tapping it in. I'd then run a bead around both like you are caulking a window or a bathtub shower door around the inside & outside of the seal.

Let it sit for 24 hours.

Both Ultra Grey & Ultra Black require 24 hours to fully cure.

I'd run the engine for 20 min or so and make sure it's sealed before putting the tranny back into place.

You can run the engine w/ out the crank or belts on the front to make sure it's sealed for the front main seal, as long as you have a battery charger/ maintainer on. I did that for 20min, but I have a 30amper.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep

hey I am only doing rear for now only showed that pic for sealant reference.. don't see much online on e90 rms replacement.. I know I have to replace any blue painted bolts..
I will take you advice and blind caulk it after putting some on inside and out side of seal.

Thanks again starting Saturday
Appreciate 0