E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Leaking intercooler

08-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
MooLard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Leaking intercooler

Hi there
Next fault after several others appears to be the intercooler. I have been trying to trace an oil leak by cleaning the underside of the engine and tray and this evening checking again for fresh oil.
I have replaced the boost pipe seals and it’s a bit clearer now, it seems to be coming from the intercooler core to plastic end cap join on the exit side, has anyone seen this or had this happen to them before? The car doesn’t feel slower as in loosing boost, bit harder to tell on warmer days. Can I be mistaking this for a leak somewhere else?

Recent repairs include transmission oil pipe replacement, valve cover gasket replacement, small turbo solenoid, map sensor, and boost pipe to intercooler seals. All over the course of eight weeks too...
Thanks in advance,

2016 435xd GC, MTC intercooler, centre and back box deletes, GKR stage 2 remap, methanol injection, H&R lowering springs. To do: wash it.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

There are seals on the exit side as well, did you do those?
I had oil seeping out from the silcone hose to hard pipe section on that side of the engine as well. This would be easy to see as there will be a stream of residue originating from that connection, down to the intercooler connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
MooLard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

H thanks for the reply, yes I’ve replaced the seals on the exit of the intercooler side: the aluminium pipe that goes up to the inlet manifold.
The leak looks to be coming from where the fan shroud meets the inside of the intercooler.

2016 435xd GC, MTC intercooler, centre and back box deletes, GKR stage 2 remap, methanol injection, H&R lowering springs. To do: wash it.
Appreciate 0