E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Any guys took a Military Hop to GE for a ED Delivery

05-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Any guys took a Military Hop to GE for a ED Delivery

any Military Guys here took a Military HOP to Ramstein AB or any place in Germany for their European Delivery at Munich

.... its been awhile guys, and dont ask how long ago, but I use to be able to get a military plane from Dover and within 24 hrs I would be at Ramstein AB.

Thinking of maybe doing the same for a European Delivery for an e92 M3, instead of PDC at Spartanburg.

Any hints on your venture can surely help me decide if its worth it or not, Im sure the waiting list or reservation system is much easiers than years ago with the internet and all.

And cost involve?

How about lodging ? Are they commodating to non-Active mbrs ?

Trains and automobile to Munich ? whats the best way ? Cost ? AAFES Gas coupons etc etc

I know this maybe is a long shot but I figure to give it a shot since maybe another member here has done it or wanting to do the same thing.

Thks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
any Military Guys here took a Military HOP to Ramstein AB or any place in Germany for their European Delivery at Munich

.... its been awhile guys, and dont ask how long ago, but I use to be able to get a military plane from Dover and within 24 hrs I would be at Ramstein AB.

Thinking of maybe doing the same for a European Delivery for an e92 M3, instead of PDC at Spartanburg.

Any hints on your venture can surely help me decide if its worth it or not, Im sure the waiting list or reservation system is much easiers than years ago with the internet and all.

And cost involve?

How about lodging ? Are they commodating to non-Active mbrs ?

Trains and automobile to Munich ? whats the best way ? Cost ? AAFES Gas coupons etc etc

I know this maybe is a long shot but I figure to give it a shot since maybe another member here has done it or wanting to do the same thing.

Thks
As far as Macflights go, I cant really give you much info. Havent taken one from here to europe before.

With the bold questions:

I would definitely get a rental and drive to Munich if I were you. Not only because you avoid the stops and being on a train for hours, but you also get used to driving at high speeds compared to the states. When I left Germany, I rented a car for one day. It cost me 80 euros I think. Remember to fill up the tank when you return it or you pay German gas prices. That'll be over 100 euros lol. If you have an ID card, get on a military base ASAP and depending on which type of gas you need, it would be smart to get Benzine since the M3 takes gas, and get a few Esso/Aral 200 liter gas coupon booklets.

Lodging is inexpensive. You can find hostels and stay for 20 euros a night or hotels for 50 euros a night. Food isn't expensive. Don't go shopping for clothes.

Honestly, I can see how it would be hard to get that MacFlight. Call your nearest Airbase and ask.
      05-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey A.B.Dude

I take that I can still rent out cars on base or AAFES, unsure if retired Military can get gas coupons though. Since when I was active long ago they were rationed gas cards, Still the same?

Will US Drivers License be still valid at the Autobahn... ah! the good o'le Autobahn

Did you mean a Gasthaus night stay is about 20 Euros? nice

Im trying to find out once I rent a car where to drop it at Munich, or do they pick the rental car up.

Have you taken a Euro-US hops filghts?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #4
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
I take that I can still rent out cars on base or AAFES, unsure if retired Military can get gas coupons though. Since when I was active long ago they were rationed gas cards, Still the same?
Retired or not, as long as you have an id card and the rental agreement, you can go to the gas stations and get coupons. Remember that those coupons are good for Germany. You drive to italy or france and they dont work there, you have to get coupons for that country.

Will US Drivers License be still valid at the Autobahn... ah! the good o'le Autobahn
I had to look this up, because I've never had to worry about it before. Non residents can drive for upto a year without a German license. Call your SA just to make doubly sure though.

Well I meant 20 for a hostel as in 10 bunks, 6 bunks, 2 bunks, etc. I dont think you'll find a place for 20 euros a night that isnt a hostel, but if I were you, I'd get a room on post at one of the inns. Parking in Germany is a pain sometimes. Narrow roads, etc.

Im trying to find out once I rent a car where to drop it at Munich, or do they pick the rental car up.
Well, just drop it at whichever destination you choose. You have to tell them that at the airport. Ive never heard of them picking up a rental. Remember remember remember to fill that tank up before tuning it in.

I've taken Pacific hop flights, never euro ones. It may take you a couple more thats, but you cant beat the price!
      05-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Retired or not, as long as you have an id card and the rental agreement, you can go to the gas stations and get coupons. Remember that those coupons are good for Germany. You drive to italy or france and they dont work there, you have to get coupons for that country.

I had to look this up, because I've never had to worry about it before. Non residents can drive for upto a year without a German license. Call your SA just to make doubly sure though.

Well I meant 20 for a hostel as in 10 bunks, 6 bunks, 2 bunks, etc. I dont think you'll find a place for 20 euros a night that isnt a hostel, but if I were you, I'd get a room on post at one of the inns. Parking in Germany is a pain sometimes. Narrow roads, etc.

Well, just drop it at whichever destination you choose. You have to tell them that at the airport. Ive never heard of them picking up a rental. Remember remember remember to fill that tank up before tuning it in.

I've taken Pacific hop flights, never euro ones. It may take you a couple more thats, but you cant beat the price!

yeah! you cant beat the price.. when I did it then, the MAC flights were like $10 DE to GE, and if you want meal at the In-Flight kitchen it was another $3.

Im not sure if the car will wait for me until Octoberfest ? sure would be nice though

Last edited by ase2dais; 05-13-2008 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0