E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > oil leak after VC gasket was replaced on e92!

11-18-2018, 12:06 AM   #1
Joseh0903
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Exclamation oil leak after VC gasket was replaced on e92!

So just about a week ago I noticed smoke was coming from the engine on the passengers side and I could smell burning oil. Which is weird cause I just had my valve cover gasket replaced about a month ago. I plugged in my scanner and got 3 codes for the eccentric shaft sensor, my car is sometimes shaky on startup so I think I need to replace the sensor. Could this have caused the new oil leak? Would I need to replace the valve cover gasket again?

I had a shop replace the valve cover gasket because I was scared of messing something up, but after forking over $800 I have decided to try and DIY anything else that may come up with my car. As a beginner should I study up and just do the fix myself or fork over some more money?? .
I want to learn the ins and outs of my car but I'm just not sure if I should I start with such a complex looking job?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Take the car back to the shop that did the valvecover gasket replacement. It sounds like they botched the job. Even worse it sounds like they didn't replace the ESS seal, which is now probably leaking into the ESS connector and causing the driveability issues
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-18-2018 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Joseh0903
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Take the car back to the shop that did the valvecover gasket replacement. It sounds like they botched the job. Even worse it sounds like they did replace the ESS seal, which is now probably leaking into the ESS connector and causing the driveability issues
Thank you. That's what I was planning to do but I wanted to get some feedback first
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

this is because you haven't seen valve cover gasket
it is flexible and looking like dried sealant
the reason of the oil leak in all petrol engine is not working pcv valve, in the 2006+ bmw cars it is built-in in valve cover, if you replace it - problem will gone