E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Pre-purchase 2011 BMW 335i

02-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
mmille24
Rep
Drives: 328

Pre-purchase 2011 BMW 335i

I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 335i with about 55k miles on it. The owner told me he recently replaced the entire engine block with a new factory BMW engine in Nov 2017. There was a piston rod failure. All repairs were done through a certified BMW dealership. There is a 2 yr warranty that comes with this repair.

Is this a good thing or more indicative that this car is a lemon? What should I be concerned about here? Also, would the turbo automatically be replaced in this repair?

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmille24 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 335i with about 55k miles on it. The owner told me he recently replaced the entire engine block with a new factory BMW engine in Nov 2017. There was a piston rod failure. All repairs were done through a certified BMW dealership. There is a 2 yr warranty that comes with this repair.

Is this a good thing or more indicative that this car is a lemon? What should I be concerned about here? Also, would the turbo automatically be replaced in this repair?

Thank you very much.
Sounds like just the short block was replaced. If they didn't touch the cylinder head, then it's unlikely they needed to replace the turbo.

I would grab the VIN and see if you can get your local dealer to provide the service records for the car. Most BMW dealership/service centers are great about keeping track of all service and repairs done. This should give you a good idea of the car's repair history and any potential trouble spots.

While I wouldn't rule this car out over the new engine, I think you are certainly correct in questioning it. A stock N55 should last quite a long time without any major mechanical intervention.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
mmille24
Rep

Thanks. I'll grab those and provide to mechanic for the pre-purchase inspection.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It is unlikely a BMW Dealer will hand you the service history. As the last SA told me, “The information is proprietary and is not shared with anyone except the current owner.” Try to get a look at the screen and see what they do.
      02-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
mmille24
Rep

I spoke to the seller and also got the Carfax.

The car definitely had a few additional repairs. Anything standing out as red flags? A lot seems to have been replaced on this car. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, the items are newer, on the other hand they needed to be replaced.

22k miles: Rear brakes replaced
37k miles: Windshield molding replaced & radiator replaced
40k miles: Intake silencer serviced & stabilizer bar bushings replaced
43k miles: Coolant reservoir replaced
53k miles: Fuel injector(s) replaced
55k miles: Camshaft(s) replaced/repaired. Cylinder head gasket(s) replaced.
56k miles: Engine oil pump replaced. Left airbag assembly replaced.

...then they replaced the entire short block I guess due to those recent engine issues. The engine replacement comes with a 2yr warranty (Nov 2017). Buyer is asking 17.5k. 2011 335i convertible. M-Sport. Every option except the Harmon Kardon. What do ya'll think?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Why was the airbag replaced? I have the same car as you and never needed any of that stuff done. That is a lot of stuff done that is not wear and tear. $17k is way too much considering on eBay/Auttrader right now they are scores of 2011 335i xDrive sedans loaded with less mileage for the same money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmille24 View Post
I spoke to the seller and also got the Carfax.

The car definitely had a few additional repairs. Anything standing out as red flags? A lot seems to have been replaced on this car. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, the items are newer, on the other hand they needed to be replaced.

22k miles: Rear brakes replaced (KIND OF EARLY BUT OK)
37k miles: Windshield molding replaced & radiator replaced (STRANGE?)
40k miles: Intake silencer serviced (AIR FILTER) & stabilizer bar bushings replaced
43k miles: Coolant reservoir replaced (STRANGE?)
53k miles: Fuel injector(s) replaced
55k miles: Camshaft(s) replaced/repaired. Cylinder head gasket(s) replaced.
56k miles: Engine oil pump replaced. Left airbag assembly replaced.

...then they replaced the entire short block I guess due to those recent engine issues. The engine replacement comes with a 2yr warranty (Nov 2017). Buyer is asking 17.5k. 2011 335i convertible. M-Sport. Every option except the Harmon Kardon. What do ya'll think?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
mmille24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Why was the airbag replaced? I have the same car as you and never needed any of that stuff done. That is a lot of stuff done that is not wear and tear.
I'm not sure exactly. I think it had something to do with the engine issues. It never deployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
$17k is way too much considering on eBay/Auttrader right now they are scores of 2011 335i xDrive sedans loaded with less mileage for the same money.
Are they convertibles?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

There was an airbag recall. If you own one of these cars and haven't had the airbag replaced... you likely have an outstanding recall.

There are no XDrive E93's. You can't compare E93 pricing to E90 pricing.
Appreciate 0