E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > HELP! broken accesory belt tensioner on n54

03-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
soldado331
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 AW e90 335xi

Garage List
HELP! broken accesory belt tensioner on n54

Hi guys,

I was trying to release the tension on the belt tensioner for the accessory belts and the hole for the torx snapped off the tensioner! so basically there is no way for me to use a torx socket anymore. i realized afterwards that i was pushing the breaker bar the wrong direction. now i have a broken tensioner and i'm not sure how to release the tension from the belt or how to remove the belt at all. has anyone had this happen or have suggestions to remove belt?

thanks.
      03-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

If you seen my DIY, then look at the picture where it shows Tensioner and upper and Lower Pulleys.

Now to release tension, you turn the T60 clock wise.
so, I recommend in your case to change the Tensioner and Both Pulleys.
in order to get the belt off, i put some sort of Pry bar from the tensioners lower pulley to the tensioner itself.

option 2, - Just cut the belt.
worst case you damage the tensioner that is already damaged and now you can easily remove it and install a New one.
GET OEM.
PS: get rid of the grease on the front of the engine.
Check this link.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075854

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

I agree, cut the belt and call it a day. That tensioner will release and than just proceed with normal diy with replacing it
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
soldado331
Private
Rep

Garage List
Awesome tips guys! Thanks so much!!
      03-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
+1 on cutting the belt

Also, looks like you have a pretty massive oil leak from the oil filter housing gasket/cooler considering the alternator and front of the engine is caked in grease.

I would get that replaced ASAP. Oil leaking on the belt like that will cause it to de-rail and could get it sucked through the crank seal in the front causing engine damage.

Where in Southern CT are you located? I'm in Storrs by UConn.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
soldado331
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
+1 on cutting the belt

Also, looks like you have a pretty massive oil leak from the oil filter housing gasket/cooler considering the alternator and front of the engine is caked in grease.

I would get that replaced ASAP. Oil leaking on the belt like that will cause it to de-rail and could get it sucked through the crank seal in the front causing engine damage.

Where in Southern CT are you located? I'm in Storrs by UConn.
Hey CT, thanks for the gasket suggestion. That job was done last year but i didnt do a good job of getting more of that old grease off. I will do it when i get the belt off this time around. Would you recommend i clean with brake parts cleaner, Simple Green degreaser or what? I just want to be safe with what i put on the alternator.

I plan on fixing the accessory belt this weekend if the snow melts by then.

I live in Norwalk. Are you a UConn student or alumni? I'm a UConn Stamford alumni. Go Huskies!