E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Squeak at low speeds?

05-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Brake Squeak at low speeds?

Recently installed Akebono pads and Zimmerman Rotors.

I had a squeak previously when applying the brakes but now there is a very faint squeak, like a bad bearing, that is more prevalent at low speeds. Can't hear this with the windows closed and don't even know if it's the front or back

It goes away when depressing the brakes. I used both BMW grease and CRC Brake Disc Quiet when installed the new brake components.

Before I start taking things apart, any suggestions like cleaning the rotors with brake cleaner?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Could this be the handbrake? Noise goes away when using the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:26 AM   #3
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Did you follow the bedding in procedure for the brake pads?

I recently did my brakes, and initially the fronts squeaked a little but once I'd bedded the pads in they make no sound at all.

I'm running Zimmerman discs and pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
Rain
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 LCI 30e

Until you have some film from the pads on the discs they will squeak at low speed. Usually few harder brakes will resolve that
      05-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys. I didn't bed the brakes but drove and used the new pads sparingly.

Is it too late to bed the brakes now?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Until you have some film from the pads on the discs they will squeak at low speed. Usually few harder brakes will resolve that
I've seen very old threads having this problem when the car was new.

Is this the fix for all those unsolved threads in this forum? I must have read over a dozen topics on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 03:30 AM   #7
Rain
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 LCI 30e

Proper bedding is important for sure in order to get the maximum from the discs & pads. If you start hard on the brakes with new discs & pads you can also bend the discs.

Of course with more racing pads lets say, no matter what you do, they will squeak at low speeds

I'll give you some info from the web. Also keep in mind that for example EBC state that full bedding and gentle usage can take up to 1000 miles for new rotors & pads!
  • Perform 3-4 medium stops from 45mph. Slightly more aggressive than normal braking. You don't need to come to a complete stop for each pass. This brings the brake rotors up to temperature so they are not exposed to sudden thermal shock.
  • Make 10-20 aggressive stops from 45mph down to 5mph. For this set of semi-stops, you want to be firm and aggressive, but not to the point where ABS activates and the wheels lock up. It's important to note that you don't come to a complete stop but rather a semi-stop (~15mph). Accelerate back up to 60mph as soon as you slowed down to your semi-stop.
  • The brake pads and brake rotors are extremely hot at this point and sitting on one point will imprint the pad material onto the surface unevenly. This can cause vibration and uneven braking.
  • You may notice that your brakes will start fading, and sometimes smoke, after the 6th or 7th pass. This fade will stabilize and will gradually recess once your brakes have cooled down to normal operating temperatures. Drive carefully as your brakes may feel softer for the next few minutes.
  • Try not to come to a complete stop and find a stretch of road where you can coast for 5-10 minutes, preferably without using your brakes.
      05-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I installed the new pads and rotors back in February or so... Honestly, I just noticed this sound when installed the new wheels.

Having this said, do you thing it's the bedding of pads still?

Have you seen the other fix which states that it's the rear hand brake assembly?

I tried CRC Brake Quiet on the fronts so far and no luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Proper bedding is important for sure in order to get the maximum from the discs & pads. If you start hard on the brakes with new discs & pads you can also bend the discs.

Of course with more racing pads lets say, no matter what you do, they will squeak at low speeds

I'll give you some info from the web. Also keep in mind that for example EBC state that full bedding and gentle usage can take up to 1000 miles for new rotors & pads!
  • Perform 3-4 medium stops from 45mph. Slightly more aggressive than normal braking. You don't need to come to a complete stop for each pass. This brings the brake rotors up to temperature so they are not exposed to sudden thermal shock.
  • Make 10-20 aggressive stops from 45mph down to 5mph. For this set of semi-stops, you want to be firm and aggressive, but not to the point where ABS activates and the wheels lock up. It's important to note that you don't come to a complete stop but rather a semi-stop (~15mph). Accelerate back up to 60mph as soon as you slowed down to your semi-stop.
  • The brake pads and brake rotors are extremely hot at this point and sitting on one point will imprint the pad material onto the surface unevenly. This can cause vibration and uneven braking.
  • You may notice that your brakes will start fading, and sometimes smoke, after the 6th or 7th pass. This fade will stabilize and will gradually recess once your brakes have cooled down to normal operating temperatures. Drive carefully as your brakes may feel softer for the next few minutes.
  • Try not to come to a complete stop and find a stretch of road where you can coast for 5-10 minutes, preferably without using your brakes.
All BMW rotors, with about any pad, should be bedded by just driving the car normally. The recommendations on proper bedding you have shared will actually do more harm to the rotors then good.