E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake pads - which OEM brand?

06-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Nuieve
Rep
Drives: 13' 328i vert

Brake pads - which OEM brand?

For 13' 328i vert.

Jurid?
Bowa?
Bosch?
Textar?
Akebono?
Meyle?
Hawk?
Genuine BMW?

I don't know which pads my car had, but I bought it with 15k miles on them, now 25k and dash warning came on.

I had (what feels like) zero dust on them. Never had to clean up wheels.

What should I go with?

Also, do I need to buy sensors with pads? Is it one per front one per rear?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

This is just my opinion, but:

-Genuine BMW are probably the best for actual stopping. Sure, lotta dust.
-Textar are the OEM replacements. See above.
-Akebono's traditionally are softer, so smoother entry to braking, but longer stop time. Less dust.
-Hawk is probably a good compromise to stopping vs dust, but you are giving up a little on each end.
-Rest I have no experience.

As a general statement, I haven't heard consistent complaints about fitment or early failure for any brand. So it's about what your goal is vs your compromise.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
For 13' 328i vert.

Jurid?
Bowa?
Bosch?
Textar?
Akebono?
Meyle?
Hawk?
Genuine BMW?

I don't know which pads my car had, but I bought it with 15k miles on them, now 25k and dash warning came on.

I had (what feels like) zero dust on them. Never had to clean up wheels.

What should I go with?

Also, do I need to buy sensors with pads? Is it one per front one per rear?

Thanks
What are your goals & how do you use the car? You probably need to really consider new rotors too.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:33 AM   #4
Nuieve
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
What are your goals & how do you use the car? You probably need to really consider new rotors too.
I drive slow, it's my cruising car/DD. No goals. Just the brakes to work. I definitely appreciate not having dust (don't know what kind of pads are on right now).

The rotors could be replaced, yes, but I plan on selling this car in 2 years when my extended warranty ends, I don't want to invest into it.

So basically, I just want whatever's the cheapest and makes less dust. Don't care about performance if it's like 10% difference. I don't want crap brakes, but slightly inferior is ok by me, having no dust is more important. I only wash my cars once or twice a year (summer driving only, no rain) so...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I drive slow, it's my cruising car/DD. No goals. Just the brakes to work. I definitely appreciate not having dust (don't know what kind of pads are on right now).

The rotors could be replaced, yes, but I plan on selling this car in 2 years when my extended warranty ends, I don't want to invest into it.

So basically, I just want whatever's the cheapest and makes less dust. Don't care about performance if it's like 10% difference. I don't want crap brakes, but slightly inferior is ok by me, having no dust is more important. I only wash my cars once or twice a year (summer driving only, no rain) so...
Go with Zimmerman or Brembo rotors & Akebono Pads.

No dust & rotors will be on par with OEM.

Zimmerman is a be OEM provider for BMW regarding rotors.

Look for a kit. FCP Euro or ECS tuning both sell them.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I got Hawk ceramic pads last time and had very minimal dust with greatly improved breaking. I'm upgrading calipers/rotors and went with textar to keep price down but they're the same as oem.
      06-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
joshe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Daily driving: textar (OEM), or akebono. Sporty driving or track use: hawk

Retired: E92 335i MSport Sapphire black: // aFe intake // Remus quad // AR Downpipe, Secondary cat delete // MHD // BMW PPK // Alpina B3 Flash // Vrsf 5" Stepped IC & CP
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
OEM pads will create a lot of dust. You will stop faster than Akebono pads, but not so much that it's like a HUGE factor or anything.

Lots and lots of BMW owners use Akebono pads.

BOWA by the way makes the OEM brake sensor.

You can get cross drilled Zimmerman sport rotors for a little more than Zimmerman OEM rotors.

Either way, just make sure to burnish the pads and rotors immediately after install and don't activate the ABS system in the first 500 miles unless you absolutely have too.

Burnishing -

Speed up to 60mph and brake hard to 15 mph 7 to 10 times w/ out activating the ABS.

Don't forget to pull the caliper pins, and apply some emery cloth to them; then put some ceramic based, brake grease on them prior to re-installing them.

Last, when you change the pads and rotors, that's also a good time to change the brake fluid too, if you are close to the end of its cycle. You will need some sort of brake vac. Mity Vac works the best IMO. You can get one on Amazon. You will also need to bleed the brakes after using the vac. I'd get 4 cans or 48oz of Dot 4 synthetic brake fluid.

Mityvac MV6835 Automotive Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015POUXM..._BoNcDb8FMV0JT
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #9
Nuieve
Rep

Thanks for suggestions. I will have it done by a shop.

So seems like general consensus is that Akebonos are likely to result in least dust? That's all I want to know.

Also, one sensor for front, one for right?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Thanks for suggestions. I will have it done by a shop.

So seems like general consensus is that Akebonos are likely to result in least dust? That's all I want to know.

Also, one sensor for front, one for right?
One sensor on front, one sensor on rear. Don't recall which side but it will be obvious. I used BOWA sensor and worked fine. Used Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors on our 2013 X5D. I purchased parts for 2011 335D and plan to do all 4 corners but pads still good.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #11
Nuieve
Rep

Perfect, Akebono and Bowa it is then. Thanks, everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
I have used Akebono pads with Centric rotors to with great results on several BMWs. They don't have some of the bite like the M-sport pads on the F30, but they stop just is well if you don't mind pressing down on the brake pedal just a little bit harder. And they are easier to modulate vs. throwing out the anchor. On my previous F30, I did experienced good bite and feel with the Hawk 5.0 pads. If you are going to heat things up a bit with serious corner diving braking, you might want to check them out.

On my E90 - I am using the Akebono pads with the R1 rotors cross-drilled/dimpled that I picked up during a promotion. They were very close in price to plain disks and they do look slick!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
kasyak
Rep
Drives: 328i ZSP

Very pleased with Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads on my car. It was between that and the Akebono Ceramic pads for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #14
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasyak View Post
Very pleased with Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads on my car. It was between that and the Akebono Ceramic pads for me.
According to Centric's web site their posi quiet for the 328i is semi metallic. How is the dust on the centric's compared to OEM?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #15
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
According to Centric's web site their posi quiet for the 328i is semi metallic. How is the dust on the centric's compared to OEM?
There are two variants; ceramic and semi-metallic. He specified the ceramic variant. I also suggest these pads for a daily as I have these on all my vehicles. Ceramic pads tend to be low dust but low bite. Metallic pads have great initial bite but also dust more.

Looking up your car on rock auto (damn good pricing), it looks like there is an updated variant called the posi-quiet pro. I'd be confident trying those out as I'm a big fan of the centric brand for brakes. Nice bonus is you get all new rattle clips and caliper slider bushings with the pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #16
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
There are two variants; ceramic and semi-metallic. He specified the ceramic variant. I also suggest these pads for a daily as I have these on all my vehicles. Ceramic pads tend to be low dust but low bite. Metallic pads have great initial bite but also dust more.

Looking up your car on rock auto (damn good pricing), it looks like there is an updated variant called the posi-quiet pro. I'd be confident trying those out as I'm a big fan of the centric brand for brakes. Nice bonus is you get all new rattle clips and caliper slider bushings with the pads.
When I looked on Rockauto I only saw a posi-quiet ceramic for the rear. The Posi-quiet for the fronts said semi metallic. This would be consistent with what I found on the Centric web site but maybe I missed them. I couldn't tell what material the pro version was made of.

I tried akebono ceramics on this car a few years ago but they made a clanking noise whenever I braked from a new direction--like they were a little loose. Tried Brembo ceramics and they did the same thing. I gave the car to my son so I switched back to OEM for increased bite, but the dust is so bad. He will be going to college soon and I was thinking I should switch back to a low dust pad before he goes because I won't be there to clean his wheels weekly.
Appreciate 0