E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Backup Camera problem

03-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

I have the same problem: camera works for a few seconds then off
When engine is not started, camera works ok

I'll use the +12v cable that goes along the video signal to draw power from the front of the car and use it in the back for the camera with a relay triggered by reverse light (as an answer to pkirk's 2011 question)

Last edited by 4EST; 03-15-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #24
2011bmw328i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011bmw328i

Back Up Camera Interferance

Same problem as all, After market back up camera works fine in reverse with car off but as soon as the car is turned on its full of lines. Question: Has anyone hooked up the relay as mentioned and did it work? Also, if so, was the hot wire hooked directly to the battery in the truck and the relay trigger wire to the reverse light? I looked everywhere for an alternate wire other than the reverse light wire and cant find any other wire that becomes hot when in reverse so i am going to have to try the Relay? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011bmw328i View Post
Same problem as all, After market back up camera works fine in reverse with car off but as soon as the car is turned on its full of lines. Question: Has anyone hooked up the relay as mentioned and did it work? Also, if so, was the hot wire hooked directly to the battery in the truck and the relay trigger wire to the reverse light? I looked everywhere for an alternate wire other than the reverse light wire and cant find any other wire that becomes hot when in reverse so i am going to have to try the Relay? Thanks.
There isn't consistent voltage from the taillight. Because of this the camera will act up if running from this wire.

I hooked a relay into the backup light and ran the hot wire from my glove box. Used a wireless camera to avoid packing more wires into routing from front to back. All original components still work perfectly. This configuration was worth the time and investment. Backing into parking spots is with ease.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #26
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I'm in the same boat. I actually had it working well by hooking up the main power constant directly to the battery. However, I realized that it was throwing a code. I've been researching to where there is a constant 12v and no luck. Even with a relay, where would I find a constant 12v in the trunk area?

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #27
2011bmw328i
Registered
Rep

throwing a code

what exactly do you mean by throwing a code?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #28
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
what exactly do you mean by throwing a code?
I forget exactly what the code was but basically it was saying something was drawing more power than it should be. Not specific but I just figured it was the backup camera directly powered to the battery. I took it off and code went away. I think the way our ecu is set up, the battery has a set number of electronics/plugs that it can draw from. So when I connected directly to the battery, it was thinking there was something else trying to draw power that shouldn't. I read a few weeks ago that we should never try to draw power straight from battery as this could potentially mess other stuff up and took it off. It's ok to tap an existing wire apparently. As mentioned code went away but now I'm stumped. Nothing in the rear trunk has a constant 12v line that I can see I can tap into.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
2011bmw328i
Registered
Rep

ok now what

ok, i was all ready to hook up my back up camera USING a relay (that i just bought from Radio Shack) but with the news of the error code stating if i do then the car will know i am drawing power directly from the battery and could possibly mess up something else so I better stop for now. Does anyone know where is the safest place to tap into a hot wire without the possibility of messing something up? (P.S. thanks WRichieX for your findings.)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #30
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok, i was all ready to hook up my back up camera USING a relay (that i just bought from Radio Shack) but with the news of the error code stating if i do then the car will know i am drawing power directly from the battery and could possibly mess up something else so I better stop for now. Does anyone know where is the safest place to tap into a hot wire without the possibility of messing something up? (P.S. thanks WRichieX for your findings.)
No problem. Yea if anyone knows of anywhere besides running from the front of the car, please help!

Appreciate 1
      04-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #31
2011bmw328i
Registered
Rep

I think TOGETHER Pkirk and WRichieX have the answer!!! To avoid throwing an error code (WRichieX) the hot wire on a relay cannot come directly from the battery. To make the camera work as proven by Pkirk, the hot wire must come from the fuse box in the front of the car using an add a fuse/circuit tap. Thanks Bimmer fans i wouldn't have figured this out without you guys.

See fuse holder at https://www.google.com/search?q=fuse...icial&tbm=shop
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #32
WRichieX
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think TOGETHER Pkirk and WRichieX have the answer!!! To avoid throwing an error code (WRichieX) the hot wire on a relay cannot come directly from the battery. To make the camera work as proven by Pkirk, the hot wire must come from the fuse box in the front of the car using an add a fuse/circuit tap. Thanks Bimmer fans i wouldn't have figured this out without you guys.

See fuse holder at https://www.google.com/search?q=fuse...icial&tbm=shop
Yea this is what I was trying to avoid. I guess if this is the only option, it must be done. lol.

Appreciate 0